General Tech 4x4 MOTORHOME BUILD

72Bronco

I figure I’ve read enough of these things that it’s time to contribute one of my own. So here it goes…
I have always wanted a 4x4 motorhome and trying to find decent used one is next to impossible and if you’re lucky enough to find one it’s going to run you $15k +. The fact that I’m a tight ass and would rather build it myself anyways has lead me to my latest project.
It started life as a 1989 Ford F-Super duty, this is basically an old school F450. It is a single cab flat bed with a large dually rear end and heavy duty components from one end to another. I chose this platform for several reasons.
Massive payload- GVWR 16,001-19,500 lb. depending on configuration
Industrial EFI 460
ZF 5 Speed Transmission, 4x4 version due to parking brake attachment
Many interchangeable parts with F350

Here is a before picture
before.jpg

I spent months researching the parts I would need for the conversion:
HP Dana 60 front end, unless you are lucky enough to find a 10 lug front axle from a tree trimming truck or similar
Transfer case, linkage, mounting hardware- I opted to use a BW 1356 for a few reasons; they are very common and proven durable, it allowed me to connect an adapter in place of the rear housing to accommodate my HD parking brake. I had to order this from Quigley off road.
Front Driveline from a F350 that had a BW 1356, this is important because the double cardon style ones won’t bolt up to the BW 1356.
Leaf springs from a 4x4 dually preferably, they seem to hold the weight of the F450 better especially with a camper on it. I chose ones from a 1994 F350 dually diesel.
Extended speedo cable to accommodate the extra length of the T-case, I used one from a 1989 F350
Quigley parking brake adapter if you choose to keep the factory brake setup. Which is awesome by the way, holds the weight with ease.
8-10 lug adapters if you want to keep the same rims on the front. At this point I can’t justify spending $600-$800 on adapters just to keep a ten lug rim, plus I’m not crazy about an adapter on something this heavy.
Track bar bracket from an OBS F350 4x4
Bump stops from an OBS F350
Transmission cross-member from an OBS F350 4x4, the driveline will run into a 2wd one.
Shocks for an OBS 4x4

IMG_2606.JPGIMG_2607.JPG

The first order of business was to remove the Dana 60 from the donor truck. There wasn’t enough PB blaster to free the parts of this old beast, short of being stuck in the tar pits it couldn’t have been much worse. After finally getting out it was time for a good cleaning and tear down. I wanted to ensure it was in perfect working order before installing it so I basically replaced everything on the front end. Tie rods, ball joints, calipers, brakes, rotors, brake lines, u-joints, bearings, seals, etc. I also went with a 4.56 R & P to match as closely as I could with the rear end gears which are 4.63. I figured I won’t be running in 4x4 unless I’m in the dirt, hopefully it’ll be ok.
After some paint she was set aside so I could reseal the T-case and install the parking brake adapter. This too got a fresh coat of paint.
IMG_2609.JPGIMG_2608.JPGIMG_2604.JPG

Finally it was time to tear into the F Super duty. Surprisingly the front end came out with little effort, then we removed the track bar assembly (which sucked) crazy amount of Loctite on all of the hardware. Then the old calipers (which are different from the Dana 60 ones) and bump stops.
Next we removed the parking brake from the rear of the transmission, and both rear drivelines. 18.5” was removed from the rear driveline to accommodate the length of the added transfer case, thanks to Six States for the quick turnaround.
After some cleanup and paint it was time to start putting parts back in. First we pulled up the flooring in the cab to expose the factory cut out for the T-case (thanks Ford) it was held in with some kind of crazy epoxy that had been there for nearly thirty years. Needless to say it was a battle to get it out but we finally did and were able to reinstall the flooring and add the shift boot for the T-case.
Next we rolled the fresh D60 under the front. I opted to leave the leaf springs installed during the rebuild just to make removal and install of the leaf spring bushings easier. Note*- I learned that the bushing on the rear leaf spring mount were larger than on the ones used on the F350. So I had to drill out the center of the poly bushings to accept the old steel sleeves. Once all the bolts were loosely installed we set the weight of the rig down on them and tightened all the leaf spring hardware. Then we hooked up all the steering linkage, shocks, brake lines, etc.
Then it was time to install the T-case and parking brake. This was pretty simple to do other than fighting to remove the old transmission cross member and install the 4x4 one. Really wasn’t bad but did require drilling a few new holes on the driver side frame rail, being careful to avoid fuel lines, electrical, etc.
IMG_5318.jpgIMG_5315.jpgIMG_5307.jpg

More to come as we continue to wrap things up....

Attachments

• IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 30

72Bronco

Thanks for all the comments guys! I was lucky enough to find the super duty camper combo already built. I have since added a tv/DVD combo, A/C, and 50 gallon fresh water though. It's a work in progress, but I'm pushing to have it ready for the kids spring break coming up. I'll post more pics and info soon.

72Bronco

I've got to get some tires for this thing. I can't decide on a good all terrain or a mud tire...mud would look cool but not as practical. Thoughts? recommendations?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I put Toyo AT II on my last Powerstroke. For a motorhome, I think those would be quite awesome. Good weight carrying, decently aggressive tread but smooth on the highway

72Bronco

mud claw extreme mt_t.jpg This is the new Mud claw extreme and according to my buddy who owns a tire shop they wear great even under heavy loads. I'm going to give them a try :D

72Bronco

Sorry for the long delay between updates. I work out of the country a lot, so between that and the weather it's been tough. I happened upon a BW 1356 with a PTO so I decided to change out my silver bling case for the PTO case. I also built a true redneck cross member brace for the Quigley adapter using the handle from a handy man jack that was broken :). I have also since installed the front axle, drive lines, shocks, etc. it's coming together nicely. In the midst of all the 4x4 work I have also decided to upgrade my furnace to a 24,000 BTU self igniting unit that I found off of KSL for $200 bucks. Up next: New mud terrains, alignment, and getting the rear end up on the air enough to match the front. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks guys! Front.jpgCross member.jpgFurnace.jpgSide view.jpg