Single axle trailer discussion

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
scorphauler1.jpg

I have always loved this trailer. One day I will build one. What if I solid mounted the axle to the trailer? Since it would be a dedicated rig hauler, wouldn't the rock rig's suspension absorb the bumps and such? I was thinking that the trailer would act like the "wishbone" suspension where the link is solid mounted to the axle of the rig.

Caleb

Hickey said:
scorphauler1.jpg

I have always loved this trailer. One day I will build one. What if I solid mounted the axle to the trailer? Since it would be a dedicated rig hauler, wouldn't the rock rig's suspension absorb the bumps and such? I was thinking that the trailer would act like the "wishbone" suspension where the link is solid mounted to the axle of the rig.

I dont see why you couldn't solid mount it...its wouldn't be my choice but I think it would work just fine...if you want to try and keep the COG low then why dont ya get a drop axle...you can get them upto 7K I think...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
supergper said:
I dont see why you couldn't solid mount it...its wouldn't be my choice but I think it would work just fine...if you want to try and keep the COG low then why dont ya get a drop axle...you can get them upto 7K I think...
I'm not too worried about the COG, Spring under would be fine. The car dollies are all solid mounted aren't they?

Caleb

Hickey said:
I'm not too worried about the COG, Spring under would be fine. The car dollies are all solid mounted aren't they?

yeah, I am pretty sure they are solid mounted...and I have even seen some car haulers solid mounted, its just not my choice...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
supergper said:
its just not my choice...
You don't get a choice. I am making you do it this way. Do it. You know you want to. Do it. :rofl:

I am just thinking out loud here. Ditching a set of 5-7K springs would save 100 lbs I would guess. I have never pulled a car dolly though.

chans

I would think without springs it would be pretty bouncy. Dollies at least have a set of the cars tires on the ground and they still bounce a bit. I have heard if the frame of the rig bounces and just the axles are tied down on the trailer that it can peen the wheel bearings. I am not sure if that could be true but if it is it seems that the same thing could happen by using a solid trailer and letting the suspension of the rig compensate.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
After some thinking, I am guessing the tow vehicle would feel a lot more of the bumps that the trailer hits even though the crawler would absorb some of it. I begn to think about the pros of shackle reversals. So now this thread is totaly fay and useless. Thanks for playing along though. :D :hickey:

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Hickey said:
After some thinking, I am guessing the tow vehicle would feel a lot more of the bumps that the trailer hits even though the crawler would absorb some of it. I begn to think about the pros of shackle reversals. So now this thread is totaly fay and useless. Thanks for playing along though. :D :hickey:

No, it's a cool idea. Why not use some air bags for springs?

Caleb

OCNORB said:
No, it's a cool idea. Why not use some air bags for springs?

thats funny you mention that, I was thining abou thtis thread the other day and was thinking about airbags, then gtidriver brought up using airbags on PBB and now you bring it up, I guess great minds think alike:D

I think the biggest down side is cost and the need to have air available...

OCNORB

Supporting Member
supergper said:
thats funny you mention that, I was thining abou thtis thread the other day and was thinking about airbags, then gtidriver brought up using airbags on PBB and now you bring it up, I guess great minds think alike:D

I think the biggest down side is cost and the need to have air available...

I have the firestones on my F-250. Once you pump em' up they should stay at the pressure you want. No need for a pump, except at the gas station. Cost is about $225 or so.

Caleb

OCNORB said:
I have the firestones on my F-250. Once you pump em' up they should stay at the pressure you want. No need for a pump, except at the gas station. Cost is about $225 or so.

should stay is the key word, get a leaky line or whatever and you are say on the long stretch from Price to Moab...fixig a leaky line is easy, but now you're limping along...I may put them on my truck cause when I get my camper in and my trailer on I start to see a little sag...still would be cool to have on a trailer though:cool:

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I have run the firestone bags on my truck/camper combo for years. Originally I was worried about the bags loosing pressure, so I mounted an old ARB compressor and ran a line to an air chuck so I could fill them if I needed to, but I have never had a problem with a leaking line or bags loosing pressure, even for weeks at a time.

Just my $0.02 worth though

polaris600

yeah, the rigs springs would absorb the bumps for the rig. but the trailer could and probably will go airborn and bounce on even small bumps at freeway speeds. doubt it would pull very good but its you who's pullin it and not me so go for it.