How do I help protect Moab?

SuperRanger

Where is the best place to donate money to help the land use situation in Moab. I am interested in maintaining the trails we have, saving the trails we have, and building any new trails were it may be deemed acceptable.

I noticed the Multi Use Defense Fund on the RR4W site.

I am a member of USA-All and U4DWA. I am from Colorado and spend most of my Utah time in Moab so I would like any donation to focus on that.

Suggestions?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
SuperRanger said:
Where is the best place to donate money to help the land use situation in Moab. I am interested in maintaining the trails we have, saving the trails we have, and building any new trails were it may be deemed acceptable.

I am a member of USA-All and U4DWA. I am from Colorado and spend most of my Utah time in Moab so I would like any donation to focus on that.

Suggestions?

SuperRanger - Other than trhe RR4W MUD Fund, I am not aware of any groups that focus only on Moab land use issues. However, what we really need right now (rather than money) are people like yourself who can lead by example.

Probably the most important thing you can do is set a good example while on the trail. The number one complaint of the BLM is new (illegal) trails or routes. If you see a new route or obstacle that wasn’t there before, it is almost definitely not legal. Report illegal routes or improper behavior to the RR4W (you can call me at 435-259-6119, or the club phone at 435-259-7625), or to the BLM.

Spread the word. Let everyone you jeep with, your club members, and people you meet on the trail, know what proper trail etiquette is, and how important it is. As a group, we have too many among us who are ignorant of the rules, or just don’t care!

Write letters! Keep abreast of the issues, and write letters often to the BLM or other authorities. The upcoming new RMP (resource management plan) is the critical issue right now.

Join as many pro-access groups as you can afford. USA-All and U4WDA are great groups. BlueRibbon Coalition is another organization that every 4-wheeler should belong to.

We always appreciate donations to the RR4W MUD Fund. The money in this fund is used to fight closures and legal battles on an emergency basis, such as the recent Strike Ravine / Helldorado mess.

Sounds like you already are one of the “good guys”… just being aware that there is a problem, and wanting to help, is a major step!

Thanks-
Jeff Stevens
VP RR4W

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
There is no question you should send it to USA-ALL, read my other posts. we treat our donations with such respect. there are lots of places you could give money, but we are the only group in Utah dedicated ONLY to the defense of public land in Utah. we have 2 very hot areas right now Moab is one of them, we are very concerned about the new rmp and we are organizing local users right now so we can make sure to protect it the way they want. We need donations, our adversary, usually SUWA has a multimillion dollar budget we dont even have one tenth of what they have. Yet we have been able to stop them at most every turn. we are good with what funds we have with more we could be a even bigger voice for guys like you. Thanks for your membership. You have already done more than our contemporaries. Any additional funds will ,as always, be put to good use. Seriuosly, we dont say it enough ,and that too will change, Thank You!

It's time for some of us to quit crying :( about things and do something about our land! Donating time, talent, money, and advertising are always welcome. as are your suggestions on how we can help you. Thanks Again! :rofl:

SuperRanger

Thanks guys. I agree that the best thing we can do is try and police oursleves and help others see the light. Thanks for the detail on the MUD fund and for the info about USA-All.

Making the difference with the SUWA - BLM Sumpreme Court case and the Helldorado land sale are what I want to help with. I also want to make sure that the RR4W have enough resources to maintain the trails we all love so much.

I am not talking about a huge ammount of money but I want to make what I plan to donate count. Lets all keep up the good work. I think the tides are turning - the SUWA - BLM case was a huge victory.

SuperRanger

Maybe I buy everyone I know memberships to USA-All, U4WDA, and BRC. It bolsters numbers and may convince them to get involved.

Note: most of the people I wheel with are members of these organizations but I am sure I could always find new people.

Are Three Peaks and the OHV area in Hurricane "safe"?

BLH

SuperRanger said:

Suggestions?
Cool you support USA-All ( I having questions about u4wda, since I used to be member) I would contact Red Rockers: http://www.rr4w.com/ since they are club that is local there. Also might want to visit the Usa-All site alsoor BlueRibbon is good site also.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Jeff,
I am new to the state of Utah. Coming from Montana, I am appalled at the lack of trail etiquette of some people who call themselves wheelers. Unfortunately, it is the younger age group and my age group who will ruin it for the masses by the attitude of “bet you can’t make it” or "hey! watch this!" which is usually fueled by alcohol. I have only been to Moab three times and each time the trips are about a year apart due to the travel from Montana and I too have noticed extensive trail degradation of these rogue eco-terrorists. Now that I live in Utah, I plan to make it down more to take in the beauty of Moab. I would like to help protect these state treasures we possess and would appreciate any information on; Where to send donations, how the donations are used, tax deduction availability, and any other way that my wife and I can help keep this area open for future generations.
Thanks KENNETH !!