Thumb throttle install

I bought a thumb throttle from www.roadlessgear.com and installed it on my zuk. Currently it is in a temporary situation, and I plan to change it soon, but here is a good idea as to how this can be done with a STOCK carb, insted of the weber carb that their instructions showed.

First, I just clamped the lever onto my shifter:

Photo%203.jpg

then I ran the cable though the gromet hole that is also used for the hood latch on the passanger side:

Photo%204.jpg

so far, nothing special, but here it the trick. Aperently on a weber carb there is a large plate for you to drill a hole though and use as a stopper for the cable cover. I decided (temporarly) to use a bracket just above where the main throttle cable attaches for this purpose:

Photo%205.jpg

In order to connect the cable, I had to use a short bolt, a nut, and two washers (as shown). I assembled these parts so the two washers where betwine the head of the bolt and the nut. I put bolth cables betwine the washers as close to the carb as possible and crimped bolth together. Now, when I pull on the thumb cable, it in turn pulls the main cable, witch operates the throttle.

I plan to change the setup a little however. I would like drill a hole in the same bracket as the main cable so I can decrease the angle betwine the two cables to as little as possible. Also, I need to cut a hole in the firewall gromet to pass the cable though so that I don't have to worry about air and watter getting through. I will post pics of that setup when I get around to doing it.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
This seems like just the kind of thing that would be perfect for that howto section that nobody seems to post in.

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
I use motorcycle compression release levers mounted on the shifters using an aluminum bushing made on the lathe. Works great and the added contol keeps you from unwanted backrolls.

Dave Harward

thumb throttle

Hello first time to reply on web site

On my 95 yj i installed a choke cable from dash to gas pedal

On my 85 bronco i installed a bike shift cable from the my gear shift to dash to gas pedal

works great

dgullatta

good thinking any more advise for us newcomers

Dave Harward said:
Hello first time to reply on web site

On my 95 yj i installed a choke cable from dash to gas pedal

On my 85 bronco i installed a bike shift cable from the my gear shift to dash to gas pedal

works great
good thinking