Topic of Discussion TOD: Offroad preparedness

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
For the latest Topic of Discussion, we will be discussing: Offroad preparedness

Let's specifically address: Vital tools, parts & accys as well as basic items that you carry and have found to be helpful.

Obvioulsy you could pack your rig full with all kinds of neat gadgets, tools and toy... but your rig may get nicknamed 'the tool shed ;) '. Lets keep the discussion on topic and related to being prepared while wheelin!

Discuss!

Last edited:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
don't expect someone else to bring what is needed to fix your rig.

ie: do a little driveway practicing with only the tools you would be carrying in your own rig.

If you're running a EFI motor, make sure you're carrying a spare fuel pump and FP relay.

a set of openend wrenches, pipe wrench, BIG hammer, bailing wire, duct tape, a good rachet a shallow and deep sockets, zipties, some fuel line, visegrips, and.........................

chadschoon

i would have a first aid kit in at least one of the vehicels with you. even if its for miner cuts and bruses, you just never no. oh ya and badger would be a good thing to :D

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Easy for some to over look, but most basic- spare tire. high lift jack. shovel, cheap bow saw.
and as James K said zip ties, small, medium, large, and extra large.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
offroaddave said:
Easy for some to over look, but most basic- spare tire. high lift jack. shovel, cheap bow saw.
and as James K said zip ties, small, medium, large, and extra large.
and a bottle jack, fluids, basic electrical stuff (fuses, some wire of various guages and connecters)

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Here is a list of things I was thankful to have during my off roading disasters:
Water - like five gallons When working hard to get unstuck, water is nice. Especially if its 110 degrees which is usually how hot it is when I get stuck (that or 15 degrees).
Snack Food - also good for energy when working hard to get unstuck
Extra set of boots/gloves/jacket/hat/blanket - staying warm and dry is good for survival when your truck is stuck in a snow bank
Spare Tire - same size as the other four, plus you can use it for all kinds of non-tire things, like a high lift stand in the mud/snow or a winch anchor
As much recovery equipment as possible - tow straps, AT LEAST two chains, D shackles, tree strap
Hi-lift - Jacked and winched me out of a bind too many times. Plus the handle makes a good breaker bar.
Shovel - number two recovery tool next to a hilift
Bowsaw - Safer/easier/faster than an axe
Tool Bag - enought tools to dissasemble ANYTHING on the vehicle - suspension, steering, axle, transmission, whatever. For mine, I only need a small toolbag to hold it all
Heavy Wire
Random hoses/fuel line for repairs, siphing and stuff
Small Electrical Kit - fuses, spare wires, connectors, strippers
Fluids - Gas, Oil, Gear Oil, Brake Fluid, Grease
Gasket maker
First Aid Kit
A friend (who's smarter than you) preferably one with his own vehicle.

Stuff I didn't have but probably should've:
A maintenance checklist with everything checked off before leaving
a cell phone - though I don't have one and usually don't go places that have service
a 12v air compressor and tire repair kit
a laminated map on the wall at my house with the area where I was going circled with a dry erase marker (my family wouln't have a clue where I went if I just told them)

All of this stuff minus the shovel, hi-lift, and spare tire fit easily into a truck tool box.

Caleb

something often overlooked is a small electrical kit. Spare fuses and relays can really make or break a trip :D I also include butt connectors, ring terminals (both big and small), spare toggle switches, and some extra wire.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i like to take someone with a vehicle that can pull me out. i mean all the way out, in case something brakes that cant be fixed.

when i blew the motor in my cherokee my brothers scout pulled me off the trail and all the way home.

a couple years later my brothers scout had fuel injection problems that we could not fix and we had a hell of a time getting him off the trail with a couple xj's and a grand. thank god for the guy in the blazer and the cj that pulled him up the water fall, or he would have had to leave it on the trail.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This might go a little off subject as far as being prepared...

If you see somebody broke down on the trail, please offer to help. I always ask if they need help. Even if it is something as simple as giving them some extra water or relaying a message for help to come to them. So many times I see people just drive on by without offering help to others.

Most of the time they have it covered and are just making quick fixes, but I feel that it is always appropriate to offer help.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Herzog said:
This might go a little off subject as far as being prepared...

If you see somebody broke down on the trail, please offer to help. I always ask if they need help. Even if it is something as simple as giving them some extra water or relaying a message for help to come to them. So many times I see people just drive on by without offering help to others.

Most of the time they have it covered and are just making quick fixes, but I feel that it is always appropriate to offer help.
I thought that was a given. That also applies to someone on the side of the road or in a parking lot with a flat tire. IT won't take up to much of your timt and you will feel better for having done it.