cj7 heater help...

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Anyone know a good shop that will work on a cj7 heater? My engine overheats and my heater blows cold air... I have a broken cable on the heater/vent but I was able to move the shafts but still get cold air...

So for xmas my gf is going to have it fixed for me! (yeah I know she is sweet to me!) and I need a shop that will do a good job and not charge me an arm and leg....

Any suggestions?

Ken

Is your core clogged up or something? If it's blowing and you're overheating with cold heat then it may be the core. You gotta be full on antifreeze right?

That cable probably goes to a shut off valve on your coolant line that stops the flow of hot coolant to your heater core. Just moving the shafts won't help if the valves blocking the flow. This is most likely the case and easy to fix just find that valve and move the lever to unblock the flow. Easy fix for winter.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Ken said:
Is your core clogged up or something? If it's blowing and you're overheating with cold heat then it may be the core. You gotta be full on antifreeze right?

That cable probably goes to a shut off valve on your coolant line that stops the flow of hot coolant to your heater core. Just moving the shafts won't help if the valves blocking the flow. This is most likely the case and easy to fix just find that valve and move the lever to unblock the flow. Easy fix for winter.

The CJs that I have worked on don't have shut off valves in the heater hoses. I would look at a plugged heater core or not enough coolant. There are three cables on the dash, one cable diverts air to the defroster, another cable controls the hot air coming from the heater core, and the third one controls the cold air vent. If you are going to have the heater box taken out to replace the heater core you should do the GM blower motor upgrade while it is out. The upgrade helps these weak heaters put out more air which helps them work better. If you want more info on how to do it there are lots of web references you can look up or I can explain it to you.
Dave

Last edited:

00Buck

I just replaced my heater core ($47 at Frank Edwards) in my CJ7 about 2 weeks ago and did the chevy blower upgrade for $22 (73 blazer w/air). It took about 2 hours. The heater has been worth every penny.

buck55

00Buck said:
I just replaced my heater core ($47 at Frank Edwards) in my CJ7 about 2 weeks ago and did the chevy blower upgrade for $22 (73 blazer w/air). It took about 2 hours. The heater has been worth every penny.

Buck were did you find those parts?

00Buck

Frank Edwards CO
3626 Parkway Boulevard, Salt Lake City, UT 84120
(801) 736-8000 - Cheapest place for a heater core that I could find. $43 for my CJ, everywhere else was between $60 and $70.
I bought the Chevy blower motor at good ol Checker.