Dodge Ram trans temp gauge install

1993yj

I am installing an Auto Meter mechanical ultra-lite trans temp gauge in my 03 2500 Ram. I have the 5 speed 5-45RFE auto trans in my truck. Has anyone out there done a similar install? I am wondering where the best place to put the sending unit bulb in the tranny. I have looked through my shop manual and cant see anyplace that looks good to install it yet. It is 1/2" NPT. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1993yj

I am thinking that I am going to have to drop the tranny pan, drill a hole in it and then weld on a nut that the sending bulb can thread into.

kirk86CJ

I did what you are describing - I did it so I would have a drain plug also. We used a sch 40 nipple and cut it in half. - the threads have to be NPT. (If I remember right) I've done this on 2 different trucks. Seems to be pretty simple. Then, you won't make such a mess changing the fluid.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Some people put it in the pan, some people put in on the send line post transmission cooler.

I'm assuming you have the mechanical gauge?

78mitsu

The best place to monitor transmission temp is the cooler line going to the transmission, it is the hottest oil in the transmission. just go to the hardware store and get a t and you may need a flaring tool and the proper bevel flare for Stainless (if that's the kind of tubing) ...

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Don't you mean coming from the trans?

78mitsu said:
The best place to monitor transmission temp is the cooler line going to the transmission, it is the hottest oil in the transmission. just go to the hardware store and get a t and you may need a flaring tool and the proper bevel flare for Stainless (if that's the kind of tubing) ...

1993yj

I have thought about doing it in the pan as a drain as well, but am sure that the T fitting in the line would be easier. And it is a mechanical gauge.

SnwMnkys

78mitsu said:

Actually thats not the best place to monitor it. Transmission fluid can handle the high temperatures going through the transmission for a few seconds. But when its exposed to temperatures above 200 degrees for extended periods of time is when it starts to break down, and then your tranny takes a dump. So monitoring the fluid directly in the pan is the best place.

Mag Hytec, Hughes and other aftermarket tranny pan vendors put a temperature sender port in the high capacity pans for this very reason.

The transmission on my Superudty has a 1/8 npt diagnostic port on it that we put the sender in, but my gauge is Electric. Since your mechanical, it looks like you will have to weld a bung into your pan.

1993yj

Since my lines are steel I ended up just welding a steel 1/2 NPT nut to my pan. No places had any bunges in stock, and I really just wanted to get it done today. I also put in a seperate drain plug while the pan was off just for easier drainage. Worked out just fine. The hardest part was actually finding a wire to tap into for the gauge light. The wiring diagram in the new shop manuals are not the easiest I have ever read.