Greg Gardner, Fruita, CO.

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

'87 Toyota 4Runner.

Engine-

Stock 22RE.

Transmission-

Stock 5 speed.

T-Case-

Dual Toyota transfer cases, stock gears in 'cases.

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 44 narrowed 3", 5.38 gears, Aussie Locker. 64" wide.

Rear : Tacoma 8" with E-locker, 5.29 gears. 60" wide.

Suspension-

Was IFS, now has solid axle swap.

All Pro 3" leaves & 3/4" shackles.

Wheels and Tires-

35" Super Swamper SSR's & cheap 15x8 black/chrome wheels.

Winch-

Warn M8000.

Favorite Trails-

21 Road, Upper Helldorado, Moab Rim.

Other-

Fiberglass fenders that need paint, working on bumpers & rock sliders. The 4Runner has nearly 240,000 miles on it! :eek:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Here's some pics-

1001561medium7uz.jpg

1001546medium7up.jpg

1001557medium4sj.jpg

Greg

Admin
samitoy said:
Greg, whats the benifit to cutting the 44 down 3"???

Well, for one it's a closer match to the rear axle's width. I didn't want to run a full-width Chevy axle in the front & a Toyota mini-truck axle in the rear, it would be way too noticiable. Plus, I wanted the 4Runner to look somewhat legal and not have the tires stick out too far beyond the fenders. With the current setup there's 2" of diffrence per side in the width and it's hardly noticiable. The width combo is perfect, it's very stable but not funny-looking.

I think having the front a tad wider than the rear helps alot in the turning department, too. It turns tighter and that means that when I'm wheelin, if the front tire barely goes over a rock, the rear tire will miss it. The rear axle usually follows in the tracks of the front axle.

Lastly, since I cut 3" off the long side, I can run a shaft from a Waggoneer. Replacement parts are cheap & easy to find, so it's not like I have to replace a custom shaft when one breaks.

wr250

insert lame comment
now you need to ditch the stock tailgate and put on a pickup gate like i did:

Attachments

• gate_bumper.jpg
    gate_bumper.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 18

Greg

Admin
wr250 said:
now you need to ditch the stock tailgate and put on a pickup gate like i did:

I like my rear window, but thanks for the idea. I really want this rig to be a multi-purpose vehicle, something I can take out winter & summer on expedition style trips. Having a fully enclosed cabin is important to me.

wr250

insert lame comment
Greg said:
I like my rear window, but thanks for the idea. I really want this rig to be a multi-purpose vehicle, something I can take out winter & summer on expedition style trips. Having a fully enclosed cabin is important to me.

i busted out one of the side windows, and when i put a 14 bolt in the rear, it bent the stock gate lol. so i had to do something. i will be putting on a rear vinyl window (snap on) and a cover for the rest.

note everything still works in it, i may sell it.

Greg

Admin
Just some updated pics. I finished the front bumper, added the Warn M8000 winch, a pair of clevis mounts, as well a set of killer IPF Offroad lights that I got from Cruiser Outfitters! :cool:

1001599mediumzu1.jpg

1001653mediumup7.jpg

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm diggin that bumper Greg! Weren't those lights meant for the Monthly Give-Way? I see how you work things... ;)

I should come and wheel in your neighborhood sometime...

-Jason

Greg

Admin
SAMI said:
I'm diggin that bumper Greg! Weren't those lights meant for the Monthly Give-Way? I see how you work things... ;)

I should come and wheel in your neighborhood sometime...

-Jason

The bumper isn't bad, very simple honestly. I ordered the lights for the giveaway & decided I could use a pair on my ride. I dig them, very high-quality lights, easy to wire & way bright.

Lemme know when you want to come down, but you'll probably scratch up that purdy paint job on the local rocks. :p

BII_freebee

props to the tarped Rig in the background. everyone loves a convertable until it rains. my yota in japan looked like that almost perfect for color match I loved that thing went through 2 trannies and 1 4cyl motor. 20R I think. 36 Swampers IFS. I've got pictures of a true convertable you guys wouldn't believe it if I told you his looked alot like yours too greg until we pulled it up a cliff on it's top with my yota and a mitsu raider. I'll see if I can find them and post them.

Last edited: