GPS models?

Binder

What's the GPS unit to get that is usefull and uses a common software? I want to buy one but I don't know **** about them. I want to use it to map trails and to be able to find trails off the software through downloads or whatever/ however you do it.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Binder said:
What's the GPS unit to get that is usefull and uses a common software? I want to buy one but I don't know **** about them. I want to use it to map trails and to be able to find trails off the software through downloads or whatever/ however you do it.
Magellan's are the best and have consistently scored higher than other brands on accuracy.

I had a Sportrak Pro that I sold when I upgraded to an eXpolorist 600. The Sportrak was very easy to use and had lots of cool features. The eXplorist 600 has a much better screen, color and hgiher resolution, but I have yet figure out how to work it. Granted, it requires a newer software from Magellan that I don't have yet (bought it on ebay, getting ready to file a deadbeat seller, long story), so that might be the only reason - incompatible software.

I also have a Delorme'.. Don't remember the name of it, USB that you hook up to your laptop. It works great for realtime tracking or directions to get to multiple places, but sucks as a trail rig GPS. Accuracy is very good on it.

Caleb

waynehartwig said:
Magellan's are the best and have consistently scored higher than other brands on accuracy.

I had a Sportrak Pro that I sold when I upgraded to an eXpolorist 600. The Sportrak was very easy to use and had lots of cool features. The eXplorist 600 has a much better screen, color and hgiher resolution, but I have yet figure out how to work it. Granted, it requires a newer software from Magellan that I don't have yet (bought it on ebay, getting ready to file a deadbeat seller, long story), so that might be the only reason - incompatible software.

I also have a Delorme'.. Don't remember the name of it, USB that you hook up to your laptop. It works great for realtime tracking or directions to get to multiple places, but sucks as a trail rig GPS. Accuracy is very good on it.
:rofl: you're not serious about Mgellans right? Lowrance kills most any other on the market, there's a reason the Coast Guard, Baja racers, and just about every Commercial fishing vessel uses Lowrance units. (within a wheelers budget)...next would EASILY go to Garmin. I'd honestly put Magellan right in dead last for usability, software, and accuracy. (I have used literally hundreds of different units so this isn't based on only a few units). I also used to own a Magellan, I'll never again even consider a Magellan, Garmin or Lowrance for me.

Cory

I'm not sure about accuracy, but for durability, I've always heard that Garmins last longer with fewer problems than Magellins. As far as mapping software on the GPS itself, most of it is proprietary and very pricey. But most GPS can be hooked to a PC that has a common mapping software (like Delorme) and you can track yourself on the PC but you won't see the map on the GPS unit. Or you can save your tracks on the GPS and then overlay them on the PC map when you return home.

Most GPS come with a base map (major highways), but you have to get a higher end GPS will allow you to download sections of detailed maps. I have the Garmin GPS Map 60cs. It works well both for in the car road mapping and on the trail hand held mapping, but the cost of the maps is outrageous. If you are not using the GPS for driving directions then you can get away without internal maps.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Supergper said:
:rofl: you're not serious about Mgellans right? Lowrance kills most any other on the market, there's a reason the Coast Guard, Baja racers, and just about every Commercial fishing vessel uses Lowrance units. (within a wheelers budget)...next would EASILY go to Garmin. I'd honestly put Magellan right in dead last for usability, software, and accuracy. (I have used literally hundreds of different units so this isn't based on only a few units). I also used to own a Magellan, I'll never again even consider a Magellan, Garmin or Lowrance for me.
I'll own a AAA map before I own a Garmin! :rolleyes:

I was wheelin' with a guy blazin' a trail using a Garmin. I can't count how many times or how often we had to turn around because his Garmin led us on a goose chase. After fighting it, he let me have his GPS coords and I plugged them into my Magellan, to show we were almost 1/4 mile off the trail!

I'll see if I can find a link to that study...

Ellmer

I had a sport track pro. It was fine, but not intuitive to use. The software sucked, took an hour to upload big maps. So my DW left it on the hood of the TJ and we lost it somewhere in Moab last year.

So guess what she got for her birthday last week?

Ended up getting her the Garmin Etrex Legend CX. Half the size, color, SD cards, 30 hours battery, very simple to use, and the mapping software is much easier.

Down in Moab last week, it performed flawlessly. I really like it so far.

I have not even used the cig lighter adapter yet because the battery life is so good.

For software, you have to get the proprietary software each mfg hawks if you want to upload maps. For download, get the Nat Geo maps with 3d. Much more fun to see where you went in 3d.

VideoRunner

Gps

How a GPS functions has to do with five main items and are not listed in order of importance. The first is knowledge. You need to know how to work with your GPS and to understand datum (UTM, Decimal Degrees, etc.).

Secondly, the quality of the signal the GPS is receiving while you are working in the field or on the trail. Most models post or display a DOP, or PDOP number. Simply stated, it is the quality of signal the unit is receiving for the highest degree of accuracy at the time you are gathering waypoints or tracks. The lower the PDOP or DOP number, the higher degree of accuracy the unit is receiving. This will vary from hour to hour during the day.

Third, has to do with multipathing. This is where your GPS is receiving the signal and is also receiving another signal that is bouncing off the glass of a building, or the windshield of your 4X4.

Fourth, your unit should be WAAS capable (Wide Area Augmentation System). This will improve the accuracy of your unit. If your unit is not WAAS capable, older units can provide a function called waypoint averaging. This takes longer but in most cases we don't need that kind of accuracy.

Fifth, the kind/material of the antenna. Some antennas like the helix antenna pick up and maintain the GPS signal better than other antennas.

Here is my bias. I prefer either a Garmin and Trimble GPS. Most units come with software, but there is other software you can download. An example is DNRGarmin that works great and is free. EasyGPS and other free software works great if you are working with limited waypoints and tracks. They offer a version that will handle additional waypoints and tracks but at a cost. DNRGarmin doesn't have a limit and is still free.

Ok, that's my simple thoughts.

Don

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
Supergper said:
next would EASILY go to Garmin. I'd honestly put Magellan right in dead last for usability, software, and accuracy......
I also used to own a Magellan, I'll never again even consider a Magellan, Garmin or Lowrance for me.

What he said!