Front Dana 44 axle Q's?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Hi all.
I was wondering how to tell what Dana 44 I have, I know its a 3/4 ton out of a Ford....IIRC.
Is there a spotter guide available? I was wanting to get the correct bearing/seal kit for it.
Mark Milner found it WWwaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day, I would PM him but I dont know his username.
Any help would be great!

Caleb

you can either look at the BOM and compare it to one of the many lists available OR Marc's screen name is rckcrlr (or something close to that :D ) if you want to PM him.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
rckcrlr said:
My memory is not that good:ugh:
But what do you need....most 44 stuff is fairly generic.
Hi Mark, Good to hear from you again!
I was looking for seals for sure but possibly knuckle bearings, Mostly outer parts.
That and where to look to find what I have.
Alf, Thanks I will have a looks
Thanks again all

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Brian P said:
Hi Mark, Good to hear from you again!
I was looking for seals for sure but possibly knuckle bearings, Mostly outer parts.
That and where to look to find what I have.
Alf, Thanks I will have a looks
Thanks again all

Outer stuff, just tell them it is a 1/2 to Ford or Chev....late 70's ish:greg:

78mitsu

really, there are 4 different inner bearing sizes on the chevys, and it's related to the spindle. the 3/4 ton external hub has one size, then you have a big and small bearing spindle and a metric bearing size for some of the newer 44s but I'de be willing to bet a 3/4 ton ford pre 1976 will be the same as a small bearing GM ask for a pre 1975 chevy bearing. also if you knock the seal out of the one you have, they require different seal sizes for the different bearing sizes. if they match the one, the other should be correct.

ut4x4Bronco

BigHunkenBronco
If I was to install a 70's Dana 44 I would check the housing out. A Diff. shop wont do it unless you ask. I installed a 78 axle in my Bronco with 456gears and the Diff. shop had the axle and checked it for straightness but not for a loose axle tube. As soon as I started wheeling it I noticed a serious leak. I jacked it up using the pumpkin and noticed the axle tube movement. The axle tube was loose. A used axle housing will cost you about $200 vs $1000 to fix a axle housing with a loose tube.

I had the axle housing tube welded and that seemed to help, RTV is required to stop leaks. I replaced the axle witha a new Dana 60 tho.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
78mitsu said:
really, there are 4 different inner bearing sizes on the chevys, and it's related to the spindle. the 3/4 ton external hub has one size, then you have a big and small bearing spindle and a metric bearing size for some of the newer 44s but I'de be willing to bet a 3/4 ton ford pre 1976 will be the same as a small bearing GM ask for a pre 1975 chevy bearing. also if you knock the seal out of the one you have, they require different seal sizes for the different bearing sizes. if they match the one, the other should be correct.

First this is not a 3/4ton, so that is not relevent. This is and axle that was built for a cruiser, 6 lug. I do not remember specifics, but I do what was used to build all the axle such as this that came from that shop....
The spindles/hubs/calipers are all non-metric 44 gm stuff. :ugh:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
ut4x4Bronco said:
If I was to install a 70's Dana 44 I would check the housing out. A Diff. shop wont do it unless you ask. I installed a 78 axle in my Bronco with 456gears and the Diff. shop had the axle and checked it for straightness but not for a loose axle tube. As soon as I started wheeling it I noticed a serious leak. I jacked it up using the pumpkin and noticed the axle tube movement. The axle tube was loose. A used axle housing will cost you about $200 vs $1000 to fix a axle housing with a loose tube.

I had the axle housing tube welded and that seemed to help, RTV is required to stop leaks. I replaced the axle witha a new Dana 60 tho.

:confused: