Dana 60 front Build

1coonje

I just got a srw 60 from a 81 chevy one ton. i am going to put it, and the matching 14 bolt in my cj5 that has a 350, 465 trans and a 205 transfer case. I am wondering what should i upgrade first on the 60? I have been trying to read up on it and it seems like the 30 spline stub shafts are the weak link.
any info or opinions would be great thanks

Caleb

if it has the factory hubs I'd do them first, but if you upgrade the hubs you may as well do the stubs at the same time. IMO, there's really nothing that HAS to be upgraded, you could likely run it as is for quite a while and not have any issues with anything.

Meat_

Banned
In My Opinion you should get some 35 spline outers ($65 for stock, $120ish for alloy each) and some matching Warn Premium hubs ($160 for the set, they have a lifetime warranty)

But like Caleb said, you will prolly be fine stock for at least awhile, mine is stock and has had 38.5's on it since before I got it.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I will have some 30 spline drive flanges up for sale in the next few days. If, that is what you are after.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Meat_ said:
Did Chev ever do that?

Yep. '81 should be the fatter shafts, but you never know what they had left over in the factory when they were assembling axles.

1coonje

what about the u joints? are the stock ones up to the task? also, will i have to replace the carrier to go to higher gears? i think the ones in them are 4:10? when do they start getting weak... 5:38?
thanks a lot for all the help so far.

harkinoff

something to do...
U-joints... Too save money and just get a little extra strength, tack weld the caps to shaft. Spittin caps is usually the cause of breakage.