i am officially street "illegal"

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
today was a long day at the dmv.x2

i know it has been covered on here before, but there was a little grey area when it came to a vehicle with an existing vin.(not a full tube buggy)

it couldnt have been simpler, i went to the dmv with the title, thats all. they filled out all the appropriate forms for me, and sent me home with the new vin plate to install on the vehicle. once installed i called the county sheriffs office and they sent over an officer to inspect the vin location and fill out the last of the paper work. then i was back to the dmv to pay my $36.00 and get my tags.

i would have avoided a lot of time and one trip to the dmv. if i had trailered the jeep to the dmv. they would have installed the vin plate for me and filled out the vin verification paper work for me and it all could have been done in under an hour.(on a slow day at the dmv)

Moon

Sorry if feel confused :? Did you remove your vin plate and that is why you needed new ones for your vehicle with an "existing vin" Oh and congrats I just got mine leagle and in my name after a 6 year long trial and error whoo hoo

Jeremy

i am lazy. and cheap. i didnt want to fight with emmisions and safty, the uni/frame is in really bad shape, and wont last another year, i have another body/frame that i plan to swap everything over to this winter, but i just didnt want to miss out on another season. even if i could have made this thing street legal i would never have driven it on the pavement anyway. i feel alot better at 5-15 mph on a dirt road, than i would ever feel at 35-45 mph on a paved road. i would never trust it any faster than 45 mph.

so to sum it up, this was my easy cheap way to keep it on the trail this summer/fall.

Caleb

I'm pretty sure I covered existing vins in my write-up here :p Also, I am pretty sure I said it's easier if you bring your vehicle with you :D sheesh, there's not a ton of tech but there is SOME here on RME :rofl: also posted it here :p

congrats on doing it though rather than trying to avoid johnny law! :D

Last edited:

Jeremy

it was your reports that made me decide to do it, i started by printing your article and the forms from the dmv site. it all just confused me. so i just grabbed the title and went to the dmv.

what i went through today seemed alot simpler than what i read in your article.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
cool, Im getting ready to do that to my Jeep..inspection stations are getting slayed this year, and Im pretty sure Im not going to find someone to pass of my beater.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
When I changed my CJ2a from street-legal to OHV status, they didn't issue me a new VIN. :confused: I just took the title in, paid my minimal fee, and they issued a new title and OHV tags.

Moon

I am still confused dosn't the header say "street legal" I know that your not even supose to trailer an ohv unless it is registered is that what you mean by street legal?

Caleb

Moon said:
I am still confused dosn't the header say "street legal" I know that your not even supose to trailer an ohv unless it is registered is that what you mean by street legal?
:rofl: read again, it says "street illegal"

Moon

Dope

attachment.php