How do you guys protect your drivelines?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I have a highangle driveline. It's like .095 wall tube. It runs with the slipyoke at the axle (rear driveline). Well I noticed the other day that I have a big ol dig in it that goes from about 5inches from the end, to the slipyoke. The slipyoke "LIP" has a dent in it and then the dust ring on the axle is tore up. Thats from one decent trail obstical. I want to get more extreme (cuz it's trendy) but have to figure that I don't want to pretzel my driveline doing it. There expencive. A few guys around here do comp. so there on it ALL the time. Whats the secret to keep my driveline in one peice. Dont tell me the panzy lines either, thats not trendy. I will build a square one after easter, but I think that sucks. Do I have to run a different driveline for trails and one for road?
Whats the deal? I don't have or want high clearance diffs either $$$. I can build two drivelines for that cost.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
really it's just doin your best not to hit it. Tracy had Six states make his outta some thick wall, but you don't wanna run that too often on the street.

Bones

Rotate the pinion up and hope it survives. That's one thing I haven't busted up yet, so I must be doing something right or maybe I do take the pansy lines :p

My front is a high angle and the same wall thickness. The rear was done locally and they used some thin stuff..0.060" :confused: I'm going to have another rear made sometime and use some thicker tubing. It's a PITA to swap out rear d'lines now that I have that tcase ebrake

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My rear Shaft was built by Six States out of .090 Wall.

It's the thickest stuff they have and it's held up so far. The bottom of the Yoke has taken a few hits and it's still straight. Also, as Bones said.... Rotate those Perches. My Pinion angle is about 0* and it doens't vibrate, (Atleast I can't tell if there's any new vibes.....)

Toyota's have to make-up for the Pros of killer Wheel Base by having a Shaft that drags.... Deal with it! :p

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I got one of those tractor drivelines from arizona drivelines a year ago....it has taken some SERIOUS blows and is still kicking despite it being about an inch too over extended on the splines. I like the durability but not the psychotic weight....

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Well..... Mine are .156 wall from six states and they are really holding up great. The rear one has seen some serious abuse at comp. and is still straight as an arrow. But i dont run it on the street (much) realisticly You need to do a thick wall for hardcore trails and thin wall for the street no way around it. I pretzeled a 0.90 wall driveline out first trip. Some say .090 is as thick as you can go on the street (without messing somthing up) My 0.02

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
what if I ran some .25 dom? Why don't you run thick tubes on the street? I am going to get a square one that will replace either driveline. That will be AFTER this weekend. This driveline vibes the hell outa my truck.

Last edited:

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
whats high speeds? on my swampers I'm lucky to hit 60 with my tired asss motor. Who's the driveline guy here? Isn't that andy? Whats a rough price on retubing my driveline? What did you pay greg?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by Skyetone
whats high speeds? on my swampers I'm lucky to hit 60 with my tired asss motor. Who's the driveline guy here? Isn't that andy? Whats a rough price on retubing my driveline? What did you pay greg?

High speeds= Freway driving
Drive Line guy= Andy (in his own mind)
Rebuild drive line = $100-300.00 ask me, I know:(

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I'll have to search for better pics. the main link on the TOP of my pumpkin is the traction bar. the bars on the bottow help it from wrapping up. they hook to the top bar. Works great.

Anywho

Yea $100-$200 to retube my drivelines is a expence I'd like to avoid. I'm gonna look into scott's (rockstomper) drivelines. I remember that he said for TTC that he was going to run like .5 wall tube or some crazy sh!t. Now he sells em....