First trail recommendation

New here as stated before and just got a sweet 73 Bronco. Can you good people recommend a good first novice trail in the SLC area? I'd like to take it out and find a little mud, a little bit of rocks but mostly a trail that I can drive the wife down to show her how nice it is to get out into the boonies and see the world off the main road. Something that will blow our socks off but not very technical.

Just something tame that lets me get used to the Bronco and hopefully scenic.

I want to basically check out the rig (without breaking it or driving off a cliff) and try out the winch without being stuck since that is probably not the first time I want to check the function of the Warn. I am guessing a day ride where we get up early on Saturday, head out drive the trail for a few hours and get back to SLC safe and sound around 5 or 6 PM.

Here is the Bronco:
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n155/ARblackrifles/?action=firstLogin?sc=1&addtype=local

Mr.Chevy

I will also have to say American Fork Canyon but I would have to say go to forest lake. The trail has a few spots that can be fun but when you get to the top the view is awesome.:)

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
AF canyon is going to get alot of snow here shortly, if your going to go u there you need to do it ASAP.

Also That is a sweet looking Bronco. How about some specs on it.

PS. I cant believe nobody has volunteered to take him up there for his first time.

Taco4life

I would say head up to "The B" in bountiful, you can drive on the road up and along skyline road into Farmington, or down into Henefer. Or you could take the "Old Ward Canyon Trail" which has a few techincal things, nothing your bronco couldn't handle. If your wife hasn't ever been wheeling the first part of the trail may make her wince since you will be driving pretty close to the edge. But their are viewpoints everywhere and can easily be done in a few hours. Just my two cents...

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Great looking Bronco... wish I still had my old bronco... This weekend if your interested maybe I can get the girlfriend into my Jeep and we could meet you in American fork and we can both go together and I can show you some tricks concerning your winch... show you the nice things to have to go along with it and all...

Names John and you can either PM me here or call me at home 801-544-1320

toomeymd

SUZUKI ROCKER
If you want a fun trail, not too difficult, but still a little bit of a test, come join Zuktah on Rattlesnake. If that proves too easy, right above that is Constrictor, much more difficult. After all, you need to see what your vehicle is capable of, yah? PM me back if you're interested, we go pretty much every Sat. Its not a long trail, but still fun.

diablokicks

The B in bountiful is pretty good, the old canyon road is fun, and yet has some tuff spots in it as well, the main one i can think of is near the end of the trail there is a pretty large rock in the middle of the road, and you can try to go around it (extreemly close to the edge) which my friend did and almost lost his truck and had to back out, or you can go over it, which isn't too tuff. Also along the first part there are some places that get mighty close to the edge, but its not too tuff, just watch out for other vehicles coming down.

sbr

You could go out to mini moab then you could climb whatever rocks you wanted to and also just get on a trail and go wheelin the dirt roads go for days out there.

burke

i would recommend AF...I went up yesterday afternoon on my Dirt bike. The forest lake trail was very muddy. I would stay on the main road and head up Mineral Basin. The one tougher spot (rock garden) had most of the big rocks cleared out. Nice and scenic.

toomeymd

SUZUKI ROCKER
I did rattlesnake in a stock sammi, open diffs, and A/T's. No rock stacking, no bypasses, dug up the trail a few times, but thats easily fixed.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Can't go wrong with a rig like that! If you ever venture North to Cache Valley I could show you some lesser known area's.

BTW: Don't do like I did the first time, and scare your wife (girlfriend in my case) with cliffs, or waterfalls (the kind you go up), or constant thoughts of rolling over, or sliding (on ice.....) uncontrolably, or even getting stuck in deep mud more than once. Also I wouldn't take her for a 9+ hour trip on a super rocky road with NO scenery. Your get the idea........First impressions are everything! I now have to beg to get her to ride shotgun, and even then I don't hear the end of it! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:....but not everyones the same ;)

Bart

Sweet looking Bronco for sure. Wish I was able to go out this weekend and would meet ya. My wife loves the Forest Lake trail. It's easy and a scenic ride.

kkemp

A good senic trail is Mary Ellen Gulch in A.F Canyon. It's easier than the other two up there, but in my opinion is the most senic. I would think there would be a bunch of snow up there now. It's pretty high. You should try it next summer anyway. Your wife will love it.

Thanks guys sorry for the posting and running but had to jam out to Denver for meetings. I appreciate the input I'll go back and read through this and see what is what so far forest lake, little moab and American Fork Canyon sound sweet. Anyhow just got off the plane hour ago gonna hit the rack again thank you for the replies and I'll catch up in the AM or tomorrow afternoon.

Oh and definately need to be cool with the wife I used to take her out to Kaena point in Hawaii and she freaked in my CJ7 with a 401 out of an AMX because I stupidly tried to be too cool :) So I have to get her used to it. She'll buck up she is a little hottie if I say so myself that can shoot better than many and is a great archer I just had to get her into it the right way she tends to be prissy.

Last edited:

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
AF is beautiful especially right now. Corner Canyon and Butterfield Canyon are close and interesting. Any where on the West side of Utah lake has alot of fun hills and rocks as well as 5 mile pass and the quarry on your way to the snakes.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
AF is beautiful especially right now. Corner Canyon and Butterfield Canyon are close and interesting. Any where on the West side of Utah lake has alot of fun hills and rocks as well as 5 mile pass and the quarry on your way to the snakes.

Corner Canyon is closed to OHV use... sadly its probably permanent. Its been officially closed for just about a year now, they are going to be developing it into a park, hiking trailheads, picnic areas... and of course houses.

Butterfield is paved to the top, there are a few spur trails but as far as I know they are all private property and posted. Kennecott is actively drilling up top these days. Other might know the status on some of the spur trails, some might be legit...

So not sure what we are doing this weekend we'll probably go for a cruise around AF canyon to see what we can see I assume that trails off the road there are marked if they are illegal and or private property? I don't want to accidently venture down the wrong path.

The wife gets back n from Cali early AM she'll probably want to relax then we will hit the road. Thanks again for the scoop.