sunflower seed flavors?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Now that I know the general consensus of your seed-eating habits, I figured I'd start a flavor-review thread.

What is your favorite seed?

I'm rather partial to Spitz' Dill flavor. Their Spicey is pretty good, but their Smokey BBQ is downright nasty. Before the Dill craze hit, I was a David Nacho Cheese man. But while at the gas station a few minutes ago, I came across a new-comer to my seed knowledge - Zotes. They had a few wild flavors - Bleu Cheese, Beer Baked, Tequila Lime, and Hot Wings to name a few. I figured I'd try the Bleu Cheese. Upon first taste, it's definately different - I'm not sure I like it. But after sloshing the seeds around a little, the flavor mellowed out and it wasn't too bad. That being said, I'm not sold on this flavor - I doubt I'll ever buy it again, as long as the old standby is floating around the isles. I'll be sure to try out the other flavors and report back accordingly.

Devin

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I go thru a bag of Jim Beam BBQ flavor seeds every 2 weeks or so at work. They DAMN good! Best seeds around, IMO.

http://jimbeamsnacks.com/5_oz_bbq_flavor.html

Spitz Dill are good, but after the Jim Beams they're nothing. I've had 2 flavors of the Zotes... don't care for them. I ended up tossing a 3/4 full can of the Nacho Cheese flavor away. Yeach!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I tried the salt and pepper zotes and they were too salty.

I like the dill spitz and the BBQ davids. The Jim bean are ok, but the quality of the seed isn't as good.

I want to try the beer baked zotes some time....

Cody

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I want to try the beer baked zotes some time....

Cody

I went back to the gas station to try my luck with another can of Zotes, so I tried the Beer Baked ones. BLEH. For $5 + shipping, you can have my can. Hell, I'll include the Bleu Cheese ones for free. The lady behind the counter said everyone at the store was running through the flavors as well. She said the Tequila Lime ones weren't bad, but after a few it left a taste of tequila in your mouth. Sounds like a winner! :ugh: I think I'll go for a can of Hot Wings tomorrow. CubanB, where are you buying the Jim Beam seeds? I haven't seen them around here yet.

Devin

Last edited:
Wow, I sure lead a sheltered life, I've never even tried the flavored seeds. :eek: I hate change though so I always just go for the yummy know-for-sure-they're-good ones. If one was going to venture out of one's shell though, what would be a good first bag of flavor?

Meat_

Banned
Wow, I sure lead a sheltered life, I've never even tried the flavored seeds. :eek: I hate change though so I always just go for the yummy know-for-sure-they're-good ones. If one was going to venture out of one's shell though, what would be a good first bag of flavor?

Seasoned Spitz. They are just a little more flavor than salt and not overly strong. The actual seed in Spitz is bigger than the entire shell of Davids

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Okay, after going zero for two with the Zotes, I figured I'd change strategies and go for another manufacturer. Enter Jim Beam's BBQ. AWESOME. These seeds are very tasty. They actually taste like BBQ, unlike the Spitz' Smokey BBQ. The seeds are nice and big with tons of rich, bbq-flavored goodness. I'll definately be back for more. One negative with the Beams - the bag isn't resealable like the Spitz, making it prone to weather changes and the occasion quick stop which can knock the bag off the center console, spilling glorious seeds everywhere. David seeds also share the same problem. My solution? I emptied the Zotes seeds out of their container (hard plastic bottle with a hard plastic lid) and poured the Beams inside. This container is weather and spill proof, granted I keep the lid securely fashioned, and it fits in my cup holders like they were made for each other.

bruzer

I have been eating the spitz for along time now (seasoned), and still to this day I haven't got tired of them. But I also want to know where to get the Jim Beam seeds, I am always willing to try a change.

Seasoned Spitz. They are just a little more flavor than salt and not overly strong. The actual seed in Spitz is bigger than the entire shell of Davids

Excellent! I really just eat them because I love salt and it keeps me entertained in the truck when my husband is paying attention to his driving and not me. So thanks for the recommendation!

ace

Parts Collector
Jim Bean regular or BBQ are my favorites, though they have more non seed junk in them than any other brand.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Hit and miss, just start poking around everywhere you get gas.

As soon as the top comes off the jeep for the summer, I'll get back to reviewing the current trends.