21 Road & Billings Canyon; Colorado Nov. 24th & 25th

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We had a group from RME come over to Colorado to try out some of the trails across the border. In that group was Shawn with the Cruiser, Jinx (Nic) in the yellow Scrambler and DToy (Darell) in the red 4Runner. Chris & Tara (Yellow Bronco & Bronco Mama), Bad Buggy (Jeff) & John are all CO natives. I tried to follow Jeff & John as they lead the group on both days.

I have to thank Jeff & John for their help & knowledge of the trails. It was kind of them to show a unknown group around their local trails. Thanks guys! I also have to thank everyone that came out for this trip, I know we got a little excited at one point, but I honestly couldn't have hand picked a better group to wheel with. Everyone was great, helping each other out when needed and just having a fun couple days out on the trail. Thanks guys & gals!! :hickey:

Now onto the action! On firday we ran 21 Road. Here's all the pictures from that trail-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/gallery/v/21+Road/

And some highlights to get you excited-

100_2197+_Medium_.JPG

100_2209+_Medium_.JPG

100_2215+_Medium_.JPG

100_2217+_Medium_.JPG

100_2220+_Medium_.JPG

100_2228+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
We made it to the overhang, which is about 3/4 of the way to the end before there was a catastrophic failure on Shawns rig. Here's what he had to say about what happened-

That drop off was.... hum... nasty. I was sure that I was going over and I felt that where I was goging to land was bad news. so....... I hit the gas just a little, but with a 454 a little gets you a lot:eek: I smaked that rock and there she broke. I really had no idea how we were going to get it off the trail let alone off of it's nose. The cool thing about wheeling with friends it that everyone has ideas. Jinx winched me back enough so we could straighten out the wheels. Dtoy winchch it over on the drivers side so it took pressure off the break. Yellow Bronko had some easy outs, Jinx had the drill, so I pulled one of the broked studs out and replaced it with one from the other side. We were then able to get it off the hill. Greg ran back to my truck and got my spare a I limped it out. I can not say enough thanks to eveyone that helped. Bad Buggy (Jeff) let me pull some studs off of an axle he had at his house to finish the repairs.

100_2243+_Medium_.JPG

100_2244+_Medium_.JPG

100_2245+_Medium_.JPG

100_2246+_Medium_.JPG

100_2247+_Medium_.JPG

On my way to get Shawns spare tire back at his tow rig, I came across this Toyota upsidedown in a wash. We say him eairler in the day, wheeling behind us. Aparently he was going too fast down the road above the wash, came around a corner & wasn't able to slow down before hitting the ditch & going over. :eek: -

100_2248+_Medium_.JPG

100_2249+_Medium_.JPG

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
This was by far one of the best trips I have yet done. This guy........... he is kinda FRUITIE!!!!!

Attachments

• Fruitie.jpg
    Fruitie.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 61

Greg

Admin
On to Billings Canyon on saturday. I've never ran Billings before saturday, but I have been up with others & watched them run the trail. It's one of those trails that demands constant attention. Around every corner is another nasty climb, it was definatley one of the most intense trails I've ever driven. That fact is reincorced by the 5-6 winch points built into the trail at the right points.

I was expecting more carnage on Billings vs 21 Road, surprisingly there was almost none, except for a u-joint that let go above the last ledge on the trail. I think everyone had their fair share of surprises on that trail.

One pleasure was meeting the man responsible for the Billings Canyon trail, Roy. He was a kind guy who has put more time & effort into this trail than I'll ever know. Props to Roy for all his hard work. Billings is a great example of a local club working with the BLM to establish a hardcore trail on public land.

Here's where all the pics are-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/gallery/v/Billings+Canyon/

And some of the highlights-

100_2254+_Medium_.JPG

100_2277+_Medium_.JPG

100_2511+_Medium_.JPG

100_2520+_Medium_.JPG

100_2523+_Medium_.JPG

Shawns 'new' SX being OWNED my Chris 'bald' SX- :rofl:

100_2952+_Medium_.JPG

100_2958+_Medium_.JPG

100_3185+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
More highlights-

100_3180+_Medium_.JPG

100_3190+_Medium_.JPG

100_3202+_Medium_.JPG

100_3203+_Medium_.JPG

100_3230+_Medium_.JPG

U-joint carnage from the Bronco. Funny enough it happened as Chris was cresting the last obstacle! -

100_3286+_Medium_.JPG

100B2320+_Medium_.JPG

This got pretty tippy, I was close to flopping a few times on Billings!-

100B2370+_Medium_.JPG

100B2500+_Medium_.JPG

100B2740+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
Though I made it thru Billings without a problem, I think I'll wait before I do it again. I need bigger tires, there was one spot that gave me lots of trouble. The guys stacked a handful of rocks to get me up & over. I unstacked them after I got back to the area, but it was still more work than I wanted to be done in order to get my rig thru the trail. I also have to say thanks to my wonderful wife for walking the trail, taking pictures and watching the dog all at once. She's awesome. :hickey:

I am looking forward to doing this again, I think this was one of the best trips I've had in sometime. :greg: Thanks all!

Greg

Admin
Video of Chris going up the big ledge-

[YOUTUBE]ChJrlqeddfI[/YOUTUBE]

Video of Jinx on the big ledge-

[YOUTUBE]to-oCc8eVlQ[/YOUTUBE]

DToy

I have to add my thanks to Greg, Jeff, and everyone in the group. That was an awesome trip!!!! The good attitude and willingness to help by everyone is what really makes trips like these fun and memorable. There was alot of joking around and some good ribbing from time to time, but no serious ego issues from anyone. I'll get my pics downloaded and add them soon!!!

And I have to add a special thanks to Jeff for the bulletproof driveline fix that he did for me after I shredded mine on 21 Road. Shawn and I both probably would have been out of commission for Billings on Saturday if it wasn't for Jeff's generosity and willingness to help.

Also, I have to add my thanks to the local 4x4 club that has obviously worked so hard to establish and maintain the Billings Canyon trail. It is a shining example of what we as wheelers can accomplish if we would join together to keep our trails open. I saw almost no trash on the trail, the signage was awesome, and it was evident that the trail is patrolled regularly to make sure that those that use it are taking proper care of it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great trip report & pics. :cool:

21 Road looks alot harder than I had pictured it (reading old reports, etc). I'm guessing mother nature has done a number on it in the past year? Knarly none the less :D