Putting a new deck on a trailer?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What do I need to know? Is there certain wood I should use? Can I just go to Home Depot and get 2 x 12s or whatever? Any tricks I should know? What should I finish/seal it with when it's done?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I need to do mine as well. There was a guy on here this fall with some 2 x 12s. I wonder if he's still got some? searching........

Edit:
He deleted the thread. Probably gone? I wonder if 2x8 or 2x10 would be as good or worse?

Caleb

I can't remember what we would use, I think something like uncut redwood. The Redwood is better for outdoors as it's much less likely to rot with the weather. The pressure treated is also good but I believe it's a little more expensive (the uncut redwood was quite pricey as well).

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Mine's Redwood. Installed it about 10 years ago, and it still looks new. Back then it cost me $100 more than a pine deck, but Redwood prices have soared since then.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Mine's Redwood. Installed it about 10 years ago, and it still looks new. Back then it cost me $100 more than a pine deck, but Redwood prices have soared since then.

Pressure treated should hold up as well, but won't be near as pretty, right? (or will it bust under the weight of a D60?)

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I've wondered what it would be like to use one of these new poly deck materials, such as Trex. It would certainly be more expensive, but I think it would last forever.

Meat_

Banned
I can't remember what we would use, I think something like uncut redwood. The Redwood is better for outdoors as it's much less likely to rot with the weather. The pressure treated is also good but I believe it's a little more expensive (the uncut redwood was quite pricey as well).

Rough cut?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Rough cut?

I beleive he is referring to true 2" x xxx" rather than milled to 1.5" x xxx"

I've got a pile of freshly oiled (shingle oil) 2x8's sitting on the garage floor waiting to go back into my trailer, all I need to do is hurry and clean up the trailer a bit and rattle can it (its pained I just want to give it an additional coat). I looked at doing some synthetic stuff, but cost, weight (they are heavy) and strength (they sag across long spans, even without much load. Another option we tried to track down was laminated scaffold plank material, super strong, super durable... and super expensive... redwood it is.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The only really viable options brought up so far seem to be redwood or "pressure treated". Where would I go to get it? Would Home Depot and Lowes have it? National wood?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
The only really viable options brought up so far seem to be redwood or "pressure treated". Where would I go to get it? Would Home Depot and Lowes have it? National wood?

Give Burton Lumber a call, the warehouse that is. The pressure treated stuff I got from them for my house was the real green treated board not the weak brown stuff.

Crinco

I was begining to wonder if you had to be a mod to post on this one.... Shane and Greg have yet to chime in. :)

If you use your trailor for autos only you can always just run a sheet about 2' wide of Diamond plate for the wheels to drive on. Of course you can do the same with the wood too, just put it down for the wheels and leave the center open. Then your neighbors will stop asking if they can barrow the trailor to move......:D

Caleb

any of the hardware stores will ahve redwood or treated lumber...we used burton when we did our trailers.

Yeah, I was refering to rough cut lumber. :D

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Maybe a dumb idea, but has anyone used the recycled plastic decking?
I think you may have to put in a couple more cross braces, it is not as stiff as wood (yes I really just typed that) but I bet it would last longer....Couple friends have used it for decks and Yellowstone seems to have good luck with it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think you may have to put in a couple more cross braces, it is not as stiff as wood (yes I really just typed that) but I bet it would last longer....Couple friends have used it for decks and Yellowstone seems to have good luck with it.
My garage steps are made from that stuff. Have you ever picked up a length of it? It's a lot less stiff. You would have to add so many extra cross braces that you might as well just do a steel deck.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
My garage steps are made from that stuff. Have you ever picked up a length of it? It's a lot less stiff. You would have to add so many extra cross braces that you might as well just do a steel deck.

I said it might be a dumb idea.
Yea, but the stuff we used on my buddy's deck didn't seem that bad....but what do I know....My trailer has a steel deck;)

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I've wondered what it would be like to use one of these new poly deck materials, such as Trex. It would certainly be more expensive, but I think it would last forever.

Great idea, Marc, why didn't I think of that...?;)

I haven't had any experience with the stuff, but it seems like it would be stiff enough to hold a vehicle. Maybe not.