Looking for Trailer Brake Advice

Deja Vu

Looking for some advice on my Jeep trailer brakes.

For some time now, the only way I could gets the brakes to activate is if I crank both dials all the way up on my Tekonsha brake controller.

As soon as I touch the brake pedal, I get full trailer brakes. If I back off the controller even just a little bit, I don't get any trailer braking.

Here's what I've done...

Replaced both magnets and backing plates with new brake shoes. (I didn't turn the drums, just cleaned them up with fine sandpaper...they were in good condition otherwise...no grooves, etc.

Cleaned all grounds.

Replaced trailer pigtail wiring (I thought the socket may be loose / bad.)

Swapped out the controller for one I "borrowed" from Wal-Mart...no change.

I "think" I have everything wired right...(it used to work fine), but I can't find a real wiring diagram that includes trailer brakes...they're supposed to be simple!

I'm at a loss on what the check / do next...anybody had this experience and can share some advice? I need to get these darn things fixed...it's driving me nuts!

Jack:confused:

1993yj

I know that many trailer places don't seem to like Tekonsha controllers. What kind did you get from Wal-Mart? If they both didn't work, then it probably isn't the controller, but it sounds like you have done everything else.

Also, what angle is the controller mounted at? Some controllers can't be mounted past a certain angle or they won't work properly.

Meat_

Banned
My Tekonsha did the same thing, went from no brakes to dragging the tires with a very slight turn of the dial. If the walmart one was a Tekonsha I'd try another brand. Also do you have a ground wire in your trailer plug or are you just using the ball?

Deja Vu

Thanks for the replies, guys...

The controller is mounted level in both aspects...that shouldn't be a problem...The WalMart one was NOT a Tekonsha, I think it was a Hoppe, or something like that. As far as grounding, I've NEVER use the trailer ball as a ground...way too many problems with that, although some swear it works.

I think I'm going to invest in a new controller...(Someone gave me this one a long time ago)...unless someone has a better idea before then.

Thanks again! :(
Jack

Meat_

Banned
I've been very happy with the digital Drawtite I replaced my broke Tekonsha with. The only ones that have to be mounted level are the ones with the kinetic bs.

The ball ground can work fine IF you pull the trailer every day.