Thermostat Issue

Ok, as some of you know I just got my 4-Runner running. One of the things I did was replace the old owrn out thermostat with a new 180 degree one from Napa. Now every time I start my truck when its cold the temp builds up just over 3/4 of the way up the guage before it then drops back down to about 1/3 of the way in the operating temp where it remains no matter how I drive.

When I had the truck apart I replaced every radiator hose to include the small ones under the intake plenum and totally flushed the system. I didnt want the headache of having a weak hose blow on me since I just bought the truck a week ago. The only thing I didnt do because of time and money was have the radiator rodded, and because it didnt look that bad in the first place.

Any Ideas or suggestions???

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Ok, as some of you know I just got my 4-Runner running. One of the things I did was replace the old owrn out thermostat with a new 180 degree one from Napa. Now every time I start my truck when its cold the temp builds up just over 3/4 of the way up the guage before it then drops back down to about 1/3 of the way in the operating temp where it remains no matter how I drive.

When I had the truck apart I replaced every radiator hose to include the small ones under the intake plenum and totally flushed the system. I didnt want the headache of having a weak hose blow on me since I just bought the truck a week ago. The only thing I didnt do because of time and money was have the radiator rodded, and because it didnt look that bad in the first place.

Any Ideas or suggestions???

Might have installed the thermostat in backwards....

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It would be worth the 10 bucks to just swap a normal temp thermostat back in and double check the symptoms

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This is a common issue with the 22re. Toyota sells a special thermostat to cure it.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#Thermostat

Some 1984 pickup trucks and 1983-1984 Celica models, equipped with 22R-E engines, may experience a condition called "temperature gauge overshoot". After starting a cold engine the temperature gauge will indicate a higher than normal engine temperature for a short time just prior to the thermostat opening. After the thermostat opens, the temperature gauge will return to the normal range. A new double valve thermostat has been made available to reduce temperature gauge overshoot.

And calls for part number 90916-03070 which according to the TSB replaces 90916-03055.

Edit: it's not limited to just '84 trucks, it happens with a variety of years of 22re's.

Last edited:

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Carl is right its a common thing with 22re's, mine does it but I haven't remedied the problem yet, i will soon. I recommend getting the stat in that link.