bore throttle body

eatrocks

trying to find some one in the salt lake city area that can bore the throttle body on my 05 jeep to 62 m as I wait or a very fast turn around time does any one do this or know any one that does.

Caleb

Pretty sure summit machine does this and could probably have you in and out in no time. Bigger question is why do you want a bored throttle body? Read this post for why I ask that. These are actual dyno results...not some marketing from a company wanting to sell you some product. ;)

eatrocks

I have read the post and under stand what the pro and con is in doing it, I understand that on it own it does not help much but with a cleaner air intake and better exhust it does help.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
IIRC the jeep used for the test had a cat back and intake....But Wayne could tell us for sure.
The only time I could see the bigger TB being of bennefit is if there is head/cam/displacement changes. Such as a stroker or other mods that would require more volume in.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Marc nailed it:

Bigger TB's only help if they are a restriction to begin with. Stock CFM requirments are usually pretty damn small, and there is no benefit to a bigger TB.

But, it's your money. :D

eatrocks

at talking to Mike he is going to bore mine out. I under stand all that has been said if this changes the bog under excell I will be happy. the last part will be the exhust.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
IIRC the jeep used for the test had a cat back and intake....But Wayne could tell us for sure.
The only time I could see the bigger TB being of bennefit is if there is head/cam/displacement changes. Such as a stroker or other mods that would require more volume in.

At the time, the vehicle was stock except a turn down after a higher flow muffler - and of course tires, lift, etc. Granted, the larger tires will make a change here, but it would effect any TB installed. We literally ONLY changed the TB between tests. We did not want any other results or factors to play in here..

I still stand pat on that I have noticed a difference in installing my bored throttle body. I don't have the hesitation off of idle or a rolling stop anymore. It also helped with pinging on the trails.

The one thing that I wish we would have done was run it with a aftermarket cold air cleaner setup - like a K&N or etc becuase the stock aircleaner could have been the choker here.

I think the biggest thing that it does is match the TB to the intake, and I think that was the gain we were seeing - not actually the size of TB hole that was making the difference. Everyone knows that gasket matching on the intake side of the cylinder is a good thing, and I think that was the numbers we were seeing.

It's just one of those deals that if you have lots of money and time, you can spend several days on the dyno changing and checking stuff.

Nutz

It should work!
Not trying to change the subject but I've got an Edge TB on mine and at certain combinations of load, RPM and throttle opening it has the most annoying whistle:ugh: Anyone run into this with stock throttle bodies that have be bored? I suspect there is a sharp edge or something causing this? I've been tempted to pull the TB and do a little deburr with a diegrinder but I'm a little worried that I may fix an annoying noise only to create a driveability problem. Anyone already solved this one?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Not trying to change the subject but I've got an Edge TB on mine and at certain combinations of load, RPM and throttle opening it has the most annoying whistle:ugh: Anyone run into this with stock throttle bodies that have be bored? I suspect there is a sharp edge or something causing this? I've been tempted to pull the TB and do a little deburr with a diegrinder but I'm a little worried that I may fix an annoying noise only to create a driveability problem. Anyone already solved this one?

Yes, take it off and take some light emery cloth to the opening that is there. Round it off a bit - the part down by the gasket, not the part by the butterfly - think about it this way, air is moving downward and you want to stop the 'whistle'. You want to use as light of cloth as possible, because you don't want to add scratches and upset the flow of air. See where I'm talking about in the lower part of the picture? This is a stock one that I bored out with a lathe, which was also one that we used in the dyno test...

throttle_body_after.jpg

Nutz

It should work!
Thanks Wayne...as usual you're the guy with the answers:D This is just what I was thinking but hoping someone else had already tried it. I'll pull the TB this weekend and give this a try.