How much weight can my trailer hold?

BrockSampson

I have a 18' big bubbas tandem axle trailer with five lug axles. What is the max weight I can haul on this? I normally haul my XJ which is approx. 4000-4500 pounds, but this weekend I need to haul 3 pallets of sod at about 2000 lbs each. Also, I only need to haul this 5 miles or less, even if it is too much weight, will it be ok for only a short distance?

Thanks

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
it really depends on the axle rating. I would have to assume you have two 3500# axles, so 6000# should be ok for a short ride. However, if your axles are not 3500#,and you slow down (slow as possible without being a hazard on the road) and max out the air pressure in the tires, you might be all right. Again, I would check the markings on the sidewall of the tires, and adjust your pressure to whatever that rating is. While you are there, check the max load rating of the tires as well. Again, if the axles are 3500#, the tires should actually be rated at something over 1500# each

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
why don't you try looking at the tag on the tongue that tells you what the trailer can handle

taking a guess................
the trailer is most likely rated at 7000 pounds.that will include the weight of the trailer .......so you are looking at a trailer that can carry about 6000 pounds safely

BrockSampson

It took some work, but I found the tag (had to scrape off the paint). It said the gross trailer weight was 7000 lbs. The tire said they were load range D with 2500 lbs at 65 psi. So I think I'll be good. Thanks for the replies.