Building a custom Dana 60 front axle

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you're like me, you've probably wondered what it takes to build a custom Dana 60 front axle for your rig. I've narrowed a Dana 44 once, but that is nothing compared to pressing out old tubes, pressing in new ones, getting the caster correct and then making the whole thing come out to the correct width! Understanding all the ins and outs of building a custom-width Dana 60 has always been a curiosity of mine. The whole thing is pretty complex, I wondered if it was even possible to do in my garage!?

I have been gathering parts to assemble my own custom Dana 60 front axle at some point. I've had a set of Dodge kingpin knuckles for over 2 years and found a Ford high-pinion Dana 60 center-section on the internet. After some talking with a few friends, I heard that TeraFlex Mfg has pretty decent pricing on axle building.

After a few calls, I headed up to TeraFlex with my Dana 60 HP center & kingpin knuckles.

One of the first steps was to disassemble the kingpin knuckles. I did what I could at home, but the lower caps kicked my butt! I decided to let the guys at TeraFlex handle that part. Gerald is the head axle builder at TeraFlex Mfg and little did he know, he had some work cut out for him! ;)

100_4063+_Medium_.JPG

After the inner & outer knuckles were separated, the excess tube was cut off on the band saw.

100_4069+_Medium_.JPG

100_4070+_Medium_.JPG

Gerald then turned a piece of round tube to fit inside the tube that was attached to the knuckle. After welding them together, he placed the knuckle on the lathe & began turning the weld out.

100_4073+_Medium_.JPG

100_4075+_Medium_.JPG

After the weld was cut out, the tube was pressed out of the knuckle-

100_4076+_Medium_.JPG

100_4078+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
The next step was cutting the new axle tubes to size. Back to the lathe!

100_4080+_Medium_.JPG

100_4082+_Medium_.JPG

After we had the tubes made, Gerald put everything on the huge hydraulic press. He has a special tool that fits inside the diff, where the bearings go. This tool adjusts and sets the depth of the new axle tubes as they get pressed in. As he placed the tool in the diff, something was not right. It wouldn't drop into place... :ugh: After some measuring, we found that my cheap, used Dana 60 housing was bent. It was pretty severe and would have been hard not to notice with the axle tubes in place. I bought it separate, nothing but the housing. Guess that's what I get for using junkyard parts. :(

At that point, I had few options. I was there to have an axle built, so I decided to go with a Tera CRD 60 housing.

Gerald pulled one off the shelf & set it on the press with the new tubes & kingpin knuckles.-

100_4083+_Medium_.JPG

With the housing face down on the press, the new tubes were slid into place-

100_4085+_Medium_.JPG

100_4087+_Medium_.JPG

With the tubes in place, the plug welds are tack welded to prevent them from moving as the knuckles are pressed on.-

100_4090+_Medium__001.JPG

Greg

Admin
Next up are the knuckles, the caster is checked before they're pressed on.-

100_4092+_Medium_.JPG

100_4093+_Medium_.JPG

100_4095+_Medium_.JPG

And we have a bare housing!-

100_4097+_Medium_.JPG

Next was to re-check caster & set it before final welding.-

100_4098+_Medium_.JPG

100_4099+_Medium_.JPG

Final tube/knuckle welding.-

100_4106+_Medium_.JPG.html

100_4110+_Medium_.JPG

100_4121+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
Next up were the axle brackets. Gerald has a section of TJ frame that he uses as jigs when building TJ axles. Nothing like the real thing to line brackets up! Here's my axle sitting in place with all original control arms bolted to it.

100_4126+_Medium_.JPG

100_4127+_Medium_.JPG

100_4128+_Medium_.JPG

Once the brackets were tacked into place, the housing was pulled off the jig for final welding of the brackets.-

100_4130+_Medium_.JPG

100_4138+_Medium_.JPG

Lastly the coil buckets, shock mounts, sway bar brackets & track bar mount were welded into place.-

100_4150+_Medium_.JPG

100_4151+_Medium_.JPG

And there is is, ready to be bolted up! :cool: -

100_4152+_Medium__001.JPG

Greg

Admin

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Yeah, but yours drives! I have plenty of work ahead of me.

Naw.. You're in the home stretch! :ugh: To me, the hard part is the axles and suspension, and you have all of that almost done. Sure there are lots of little things left, but you already have the axles done! :eek:

...I need to get me a press like Teraflex has to push tubes/knuckles on. That sure looks a lot easier than my way. And I bet Gerald didn't even break a sweat!! :cool:

Greg

Admin
I ended up getting nearly everything I needed to assemble the axle from TeraFlex; Disc brakes, hubs, rotors & calipers, 4340 axle shafts, an ARB locker and 5.13 gears.

I rebuilt the kingpins using kits supplied from Wayne Hartwig @ AllJeep. Wayne also supplied a pair of high-strength u-joints to match the shafts. Thanks Wayne!

Here's how it looks as of today.-

100_4301+_Medium_.JPG

At this point, there is some final assembly needed, but it's just a few simple things and the axle will be complete.

Greg

Admin
Naw.. You're in the home stretch! :ugh: To me, the hard part is the axles and suspension, and you have all of that almost done. Sure there are lots of little things left, but you already have the axles done! :eek:

...I need to get me a press like Teraflex has to push tubes/knuckles on. That sure looks a lot easier than my way. And I bet Gerald didn't even break a sweat!! :cool:

Yeah, the front axle really saved me. Being able to simply bolt it in place helped so much. Knowing how easy it was, I wouldn't have gone any other way.

That press was neat, pull a lever and in go the tubes & knuckles!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Yeah, the front axle really saved me. Being able to simply bolt it in place helped so much. Knowing how easy it was, I wouldn't have gone any other way.

That press was neat, pull a lever and in go the tubes & knuckles!

That press would be really easy to make, too.... I built a really nice stand up 35 ton press, and I bet the horizontal one would be even easier.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I ended up getting nearly everything I needed to assemble the axle from TeraFlex; Disc brakes, hubs, rotors & calipers, 4340 axle shafts, an ARB locker and 5.13 gears.

I rebuilt the kingpins using kits supplied from Wayne Hartwig @ AllJeep. Wayne also supplied a pair of high-strength u-joints to match the shafts. Thanks Wayne!

:cool::hickey:

Greg

Admin
While I was up at TeraFlex, they let me wander around the warehouse. I took some pictures of random parts I thought were worth seeing. :cool:

Nothing like stacks of CRD 60 housings, ready for assembly!-

100_4102+_Medium_.JPG

100_4103+_Medium_.JPG

A pallet of Tera knuckles.-

100_4054+_Medium_.JPG

A couple of Tera 50 axles that were nearly ready to ship.-

100_4053+_Medium_.JPG

100_4051+_Medium_.JPG

100_4052+_Medium_.JPG

Greg

Admin
Finally I want to say thanks to all the guys at TeraFlex Mfg and TeraFlex Plus that helped me out for a couple days, let me hangout while they worked and didn't seem to be bothered by me asking them questions about their job. It was a great experience to see how this all comes together.

Huge thanks to Gerald, Vinny, Rand, Doc, Ben, Carl & Bryson! Thanks guys!! :hickey:

Drclarkin

Stingers Rule!
Man I wish I would have done my 60 like that, needless to say there is not a single shop that does anything remotely like that in the state of Nebraska....So I did mine on the back of a buddys flatbed in the middle of winter!

Very Jealous of your housing!

Attachments

• dana60 chop 1.JPG
    dana60 chop 1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 50
  • dana 60 chop10.JPG
    dana 60 chop10.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 47
  • dana 60chop12.JPG
    dana 60chop12.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 47