San Rafael Swell--Dec 7-10

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm sure Kurt will have a more elaborate trail report with more pictures and specifics, but for now here is my account.

We decided to go explore some roads we hadn't seen yet, and thought it would be especially deserted out there this time of year. We weren't sure until the last minute if we would actually go since the weather was so awful, but in the end 3 brave toyota's, 1 rover, and 1 damned Jeep decided to take a trip.

We left around 5:30 pm on Friday during a blizzard that made the rush hour so pleasant. I was about 45 minutes behind the group and hit the entrance of Spanish Fork. From here on, the snow stopped other than just for a bit over Soldier Summit.

I met up with Kurt, Richard, Jason and Tami (It was Tami right?), and John in Ferron at about 10 pm and we gassed up and headed out. The road out was covered in snow and we had fun blasting fresh tracks down the road. After about 15 miles we stopped and set up camp in the middle of the road.

We ate around the fire, and hit the sack.

Next morning we headed up the Eva Conover road
Here is the wash just outside of camp 1. A little foggy in the morning.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Starting to clear up...the road ahead
standard.jpg

out of the wash
standard.jpg

Down into Eagle Canyon under the I-70 bridges
standard.jpg

Just before we get to the Ice Box and Swayze's cabin I discovered a broken hub. Imagine that, a broken 44 part on the only part of the trail where it is needed. A few tries and I made it up the hill, but without spare hubs I was on the 3 wheel motion for the rest of the trip.

Swayze's Cabin--and about the only period of time it snowed--just a dusting.

standard.jpg

Sunset from camp 2
standard.jpg

Morning view from camp 2
standard.jpg

camp 2--and the miscolored monstrosity
standard.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
devils racetrack
standard.jpg

Kurt in the lead...getting up to the cliffs edge
standard.jpg

I think Kurt called this slipper arch
standard.jpg

From here we continued up and over Fix it Pass which we were blessed with perfect exposure and the difficult portion of the trail was dry. I managed to get the hobbled ZJ through and the other rigs had zero problems. We went over the pass, into an awesome high speed run of Cane Wash out to Buckhorn Wash. The group set up camp just down the Mexican mountain road and I stayed around just long enough to benefit from some awesome Elk Tacos.

I had to work on Monday so I headed out on my own. The fog turned a 2.5 hour drive into a 4 hour drive, but other than that no problems.

All in all, very little trouble and very beautiful weather. Another great trip out into castle country.

These are all dumb camera phone pictures so I'm hoping that someone will post something a little higher quality too.

thanks for playing!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Oh ya, you would have made it. A couple of tight spots but with careful spotting you would have made it. Probably picked up a little tree-love on the sides though.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't know if I would take a Superduty?? The ledges on DRT would surely smash some bumpers, and the tight turns on DRT and Cane Wash would get pretty nasty? One bravier than me might? The ledges on Fix-It Pass would have surely have left some serious rocker damage possibility.

A great trip for sure... DRT & ECR were the two first SR Swell trails I ever did... it was great getting back even if it was wicked COLD!

I'll have a more formal trip report and pics in a day or two...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don't know if I would take a Superduty?? The ledges on DRT would surely smash some bumpers, and the tight turns on DRT and Cane Wash would get pretty nasty? One bravier than me might? The ledges on Fix-It Pass would have surely have left some serious rocker damage possibility.

A great trip for sure... DRT & ECR were the two first SR Swell trails I ever did... it was great getting back even if it was wicked COLD!

I'll have a more formal trip report and pics in a day or two...

Ahhh..... I think I'll utilize a well worn ZJ and do a mild lift for 32-33" tires and maybe a rear locker or something. Daily driver/expedition rig. Mom wants a Charger now (Hemi, of course). I think we'll try to knab one in the summer or maybe next fall. I'll keep my eyes open for a set of axles or something until then. :D

I'll have to have Cody tow me up hills due to the 4.0L. :D

Awesome phone pics of a cool area.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't know if I would take a Superduty?? The ledges on DRT would surely smash some bumpers, and the tight turns on DRT and Cane Wash would get pretty nasty? One bravier than me might? The ledges on Fix-It Pass would have surely have left some serious rocker damage possibility...

I remember dropping into Eagle Canyon driving the XJ & getting some body damage. Nothing major & it was no big deal, but had I been in the Dodge, I would have been PISSED. From what I remember, the trails we did would have been OK with a fullsize & w/o the snow.

Bodine

One Call That's All
This thread brings up some more questions along the lines of a fullsize exploration rig I too have a CTD like Gregs but a long bed I have not been in that area much so I would not know what my limitations are.
Greg or I or MBryson had say a 6 to 8 inch suspension 35 to 37 inch tires winch so on so forth would a good pecentage of the roads or trails on the swell be doable?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't know... you would have to be braver than I to try and of the trails we did in a full-size. No doubt one with alot more patience and effort than I could get anything through unscathed... but not at the speeds we were maintaining. While there are alot of cool places to take a full-size rig... I personally don't think alot of the trails in the Swell were one of them.

PS Greg... the same rock that snagged up on the way down Eagle Canyon several years back... gave us some hassle on the way up. :D

Paul R

Man I love the Swell it has been a long time since I have been down there (I think since camping as a scout.) I would love to get down there... :cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This thread brings up some more questions along the lines of a fullsize exploration rig I too have a CTD like Gregs but a long bed I have not been in that area much so I would not know what my limitations are.
Greg or I or MBryson had say a 6 to 8 inch suspension 35 to 37 inch tires winch so on so forth would a good pecentage of the roads or trails on the swell be doable?

37's would make it easier, but when things get tight down there, they can get bad real fast.

I don't know... you would have to be braver than I to try and of the trails we did in a full-size. No doubt one with alot more patience and effort than I could get anything through unscathed... but not at the speeds we were maintaining. While there are alot of cool places to take a full-size rig... I personally don't think alot of the trails in the Swell were one of them.

PS Greg... the same rock that snagged up on the way down Eagle Canyon several years back... gave us some hassle on the way up. :D

Yep, it would probably take a lot of patience & probably a group of fullsizes that were running at the same pace.

Funny about that rock... it's in the perfect spot. -_-

Bart

That looks like a total blast. Great pics for a phone camera. Cody, you've almost convinced me on a dual purpose Grand with a tent mounted on top.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wouldn't mount a tent on top of a grand--they are already subject to crazy body roll as it is. Anything on the roof is bad mojo.

I'm going to build a trail trailer with a roof top tent to pull around. Seeing how Kurts follows him I dont' think it'll have any problems on the trails I would take it on and the v8 has plenty of power to pull it.

Bart

I wouldn't mount a tent on top of a grand--they are already subject to crazy body roll as it is. Anything on the roof is bad mojo.

I'm going to build a trail trailer with a roof top tent to pull around. Seeing how Kurts follows him I dont' think it'll have any problems on the trails I would take it on and the v8 has plenty of power to pull it.

Even better.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Swell or Bust

Spent a cold weekend in the Swell... couldn't have asked for a better December wheeling trip :cool:

John and I left town friday afternoon enroute to Ferron. Richard and Jason caught up with us in Price, and we met up with Cody in Ferron. We entered the Swell via the Horn Silver Gulch Road. We camped towards the end of the road in Coal Wash that night, not the best of spots but it was COLD and we were all anxious to get out of the rigs.

Friday Nights campsite, we had originally planned to camp a little further east along a road I had marked on my map. I found out the hard way the road was washed out and impassible between the washout and the snow.
Swell_Dec_2007%20007%20(Medium).jpg

We spent Saturday cruising south on the Eva Conover Road, under I70 at Eagle Canyon, and up to Swazeys Cabin. We camped at a great spot along the road to the Lone Soldier site.

Entering the Eva Conover corridor, really neat area with alot of potential campsites and hikes.
Swell_Dec_2007%20015%20(Medium).jpg

One to push, one to pull! Jason and I know how to keep John's Rover moving ;)
Swell_Dec_2007%20022%20(Medium).jpg

The Lone Soldier
Swell_Dec_2007%20043%20(Medium).jpg

Sunday we traveled back north, under I70 again and north along the Devils Racetrack Trail. From the end of DRT we made our way up and over Fix-It Pass, and out to Buckhorn via Cane Wash.

Heading under I70 via the storm drains.
Swell_Dec_2007%20052%20(Medium).jpg

Views along the Devils Racetrack Trail:
Swell_Dec_2007%20064%20(Medium).jpg

Fix It Pass:
Swell_Dec_2007%20072%20(Medium).jpg

We camped along the Mexican Mtn Road Sunday night, a warm fire and excellent grub helped make the cold night tolerable. I bailed @ 6:30am Monday morning while the others till slept.

Fog blanketing Castle Dale and Hunington, it was wicked cold dropping into town.
Swell_Dec_2007%20001%20(Medium).jpg

The rest of the pics and report will eventually land on my website!

chans

Is there an exit off of I-70 to access Devil's Racetrack or the only way to reach it is through the Swell? I have not been to the area much but want to check it out.