Remember the Plane on a Treadmill discussion?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Where is 78Mitsu/Nosty. Is he going to flop back to the other side?

5 bucks says he calls his "NASA" buddy that works at the walker station to double check haha.

I guess the only logical argument against the plane flying is if you over-read the question. It was written to say that the wheels were spinning the exact same speed as the treadmill--only in the opposite direction. Technically, if the plane were to take off, the wheels would be spinning much faster that the treadmill (treadmill speed + airplane speed). If the wheels were spinning the same speed as the treadmill then the plane wouldn't be moving--but not because the jet can't propell itself. So depending on how it is worded, and how literally you take the wording, an argument can be made saying the plane can't fly.

But, physically, the treadmill wouldn't stop the plane from taking off. So it comes down to a semantic question.

Last edited:

Paul R

I thought the original scenario said something about no friction... In theory it takes off, but it will be interesting to see how they set it all up...

Bart

The treadmill has nothing to do with a plane taking off. The treadmill can go as fast as it can, but if there is no lift under the wings, it will not fly.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The treadmill has nothing to do with a plane taking off. The treadmill can go as fast as it can, but if there is no lift under the wings, it will not fly.

I agree with you. Forward thrust from the planes jet engines (or even propeller) is what gives the plane wind speed and lift. The treadmill is irrelevant and will burn up bearings.

I'm interested to see how they tackle it. Mythbusters is cool.

krazz1e

I agree.

besides why aren't they on aircraft carriers then? you don't think those engineers went through this type of critical thinking? Let's hope so. :hickey:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

Correct, the treadmill has nothing to do with the equation. The plan will accelerate regardless of the treadmill.

BUT, as it is worded, if the wheels of the plane are going the same speed as the treadmill, then the plane isn't even trying to take off. It's just sitting there waiting for the pilot to push the pedal down as soon as he's done de-flowering the flight attendants.