Protect Wild Utah

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
We've all seen these stickers, on just about any vehicle imaginable cruising around town.

I was driving home from work yesterday when i pulled up behind a Honda Accord with a slighty torn PWU sticker on the back window. I positioned myself next to said Honda, and out of nowhere i turned down my music, got the attention of the driver, and asked, "Protect Wild Utah, do you know what the means?"
Driver: "What?"
Me: "Your sticker, do you know what it means?"
Driver: "Do you?"
Me: "Do YOU know what it means?"
Driver: "Are you really getting into a political debate at a red light?"
Me: <PAUSE TO THINK> "Yeah... I am. So what does it mean?"
Driver: "F*^$ you@"

Light turns green, and she speeds away.. I had my finger on the trigger to blast the 2' air horn in her window as a passed her while she was stopped at the next light.. but i let it slide. As that might play into her feeling of all big trucks being 'redneck', or whatever it is that most people think.. Although, i am the one with a semi horn mounted infront of my t-case:-\

Point is, i honestly feel that red light or no red light political debate.. she couldn't answer the question.

I think my random question wasn't so random though. I've wondered for years whether folks that sport that sticker honestly know what 'wilderness' is, or if they really know what SUWA is. The ignorance gets to me. So, i've decided that i will ask, as non-confentational as possible, if folks who have said sticker, understand it's meaning.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think a sticker that says "Accessible, clean, beautiful Utah" would hit closer to home for a lot of people. ;)

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Those type of people crack me up. They preach about keeping the enviornment clean and treating it with respect but I think it was 3 years ago during EJS they spray paint "Gas guzzling is uneconomical" right on the rocks or someones property I can't remember which, right as you enter Moab. So what your saying is that you road a bike all the way from where you came from just to deface the same thing you say you are trying to protect. The logic of these people makes no sense to me.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Learn to spell douche... Clack alack Sami strikes again...

I changed it, with some correct spelling. :p

May as well ask if they have any GREY POUPON while your at it. It will accomplish about the same thing:rolleyes:

I wasn't thinking everytime i'd do it at a stop light... so often i'm parked next to them at the store while they're loading their organic veggies into the subaru.

I think a sticker that says "Accessible, clean, beautiful Utah" would hit closer to home for a lot of people. ;)

I like:cool:

I wonder who could get some of those printed up? :D

The time for counter-propaganda is at hand I think.

Can you make big car magnet/stickers?

The logic of these people makes no sense to me.

seriously

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Unfortunately, you won't get an answer from people like that. They are set in their ways and refuse to listen to other ideas about this state. I bet you are right that she couldn't have answered your question, and that's sad. If you're supporting something, at least have some idea of what you're supporting.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Unfortunately, you won't get an answer from people like that. They are set in their ways and refuse to listen to other ideas about this state. I bet you are right that she couldn't have answered your question, and that's sad. If you're supporting something, at least have some idea of what you're supporting.

Another thing.. don't get pissy if someone is going to comment on any bumper sticker you have on your car. By placing it there, you've already opened the door to conversation.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Granolas

Did she look like your typical one track mind, out of control tree hugger. I can guess what she was wearing, A goofy hat, sandles with wool socks and she probably had a backpack with granola bars in the back seat. Probably looked something like this. :greg:
large_10595.jpg

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Unfortunately, at this time "access" does result in "damage." Too many irresponsible users.

I agree. The problem in Moab that I see is people who don't figure out what the trail they are going on is rated. Then when they get to a huge obstatcle, they go off the trail and go around it creating new unnecessary damage. If you don't dare at least try then go back the way you came and wait for a bypass, if there is not one well then I guess you will never see the end of the trail. Oh well if you wanna see it bad enough hitch a ride with someone who is willing to go over the obstacle. Hell I have turned away from obstacles before went back to find an easier trail. As my Jeep gets more capable I will then go back to complete the trail as I have been doing for the last 6 years I have been there, ever since my Jeep was bone stock (compared to some of you guys my jeep is still considered bone stock).

wayfarerUT

We've all seen these stickers, on just about any vehicle imaginable cruising around town.

I was driving home from work yesterday when i pulled up behind a Honda Accord with a slighty torn PWU sticker on the back window. I positioned myself next to said Honda, and out of nowhere i turned down my music, got the attention of the driver, and asked, "Protect Wild Utah, do you know what the means?"
Driver: "What?"
Me: "Your sticker, do you know what it means?"
Driver: "Do you?"
Me: "Do YOU know what it means?"
Driver: "Are you really getting into a political debate at a red light?"
Me: <PAUSE TO THINK> "Yeah... I am. So what does it mean?"
Driver: "F*^$ you@"

Light turns green, and she speeds away.. I had my finger on the trigger to blast the 2' air horn in her window as a passed her while she was stopped at the next light.. but i let it slide. As that might play into her feeling of all big trucks being 'redneck', or whatever it is that most people think.. Although, i am the one with a semi horn mounted infront of my t-case:-\

Point is, i honestly feel that red light or no red light political debate.. she couldn't answer the question.

I think my random question wasn't so random though. I've wondered for years whether folks that sport that sticker honestly know what 'wilderness' is, or if they really know what SUWA is. The ignorance gets to me. So, i've decided that i will ask, as non-confentational as possible, if folks who have said sticker, understand it's meaning.

attachment.php

Wow. Harassing innocent people at a red light. Way to advance the cause.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

i don't consider it harassing. Maybe she did. All i did was ask her a question. I see it no different if someone were to comment on my rig.. it's like wearing my hobby on my sleeve. She had a sticker from SUWA, wearing her stance on her sleeve. I simply asked her if she knew what it meant.

Advance the cause... maybe she feels victimized, but so do i when our public lands are having their fate decided upon by deep pocketed extremist organizations such as SUWA. Not to say she really has anything to do with SUWA other than that neat looking little sticker in her back window. My intentions were to get her thinking. She probably does think i'm an ass, but alot of people do.:p

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy

Just a question, but do you ever contribute anything positive? If someone asked me a question at a red light, I'm not going to see it as "harrassment." It's a question, and if you have that much of a problem with dealing with people, you probably shouldn't be out in public period.

wayfarerUT

Just a question, but do you ever contribute anything positive? If someone asked me a question at a red light, I'm not going to see it as "harrassment." It's a question, and if you have that much of a problem with dealing with people, you probably shouldn't be out in public period.

Just trying to get the sheeple on here thinking for themselves. Guess I'm not "EXTREME" enough for RME.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
i don't consider it harassing. Maybe she did.

That's all that needs to happen for her opinion of offroaders in general to go right in the toilet. I just don't see this tactic having any positive outcome other then an f-u and speeding away. If someone pulled up near me and made those kind of comments about my U4 sticker on my honda(yes there is one on my honda:p) I'd probably tell them to f-off. There is room for discussion on wilderness and SUWA, but it's where folks are willing participants. Just my $.02 flame away.