High steer on a cj7 dana 30

brokejeep

Ok before everyone starts telling me to upgrade my axle.... I have an ARB and Warn dana 44 shafts in my 30 there fore I am one of the people who invests to much money into something and cant afford to start over.

My question is can I buy a kit made for a yj dana 30 and use it on my cj dana 30 to get high steer. Or I have heard of using dana 44 knuckles???? Which is the easiest and most cost effective way to get high steer on a dana 30 front axle?
thanks in advance

brokejeep

That tie rod flip looks cool but I dont think it will clear my spring pack.
Does anyone know if I can put dana44 knuckles on a dana 30? Ive heard of xj owners building hybrid dana 30 axles????

1993yj

If you are running spring over, and want to flip the tie rod, you will have to put in a 1" block. Although you do not have to flip the tie rod when you do high steer. I have a Tera knuckle on mine. I think Tera wants like $300 for it, but there are places where you can find them for closer to $200. Still pricey, but I am like you and don't have the $ for a front 60 at the moment, am not going to spend the cash to upgrade to a 44 for a minimal gain in strength, and needed to do something. I looked into the WJ knuckle swap (don't know if it would work on a CJ), but after looking at everything it would cost to get all the parts, it was easier and not much more $ to just go the Tera route.

Check out this thread:
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=39252

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
The inner "C" on a CJ Dana 30 will bolt up to most Dana 44 knuckles (including the flat top knuckles preferred for high steer). I looked into this at one time and it seemed pretty straight forward...you are basically using D44 parts from the knuckle out..since you already have D44 shafts you are part way there.

The best option for a CJ would be to use a Chevy spindle, chevy caliper bracket. Then use a Ford rotor, hub, and hub assembly to be able to keep the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

There is more info here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Hybrid_Axle/HybridAxle.htm