Best shop to rebuild 4r100 transmission

I've got a 2002 7.3 powerstroke and my 2nd gear is starting to go...so I'd like to find out the best shop in town to build the tranny to handle mega power.

I've held off on the go-fast parts to get the tranny to last, but now that it's time to rebuild it, I wanna give the engine a little juice and get it all done at once, preferably while I'm gone for a week in mid June.

I've heard the horror stories, "I've had my tranny rebuilt 3 times" and all that...that's what I'm hoping to avoid.

I don't have big plans for power upgrades, maybe a DP or Edge tuner, different muffler, BHAF. Probably won't go monster exhaust since I've heard it creates a nasty drone in the excursion (some kind of harmonics thing).

Thanks,
Brett

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
If my trans ever goes bad I'm planning on a bts (brians truck shop) transmission. They are like in arkansas or something but wide open perf, is a dealer and installer. Not cheap though. If not my backup is to do it myself and get the suncoast rebuild kit.

Got a PM today (thanks!) and spent some time on the phone with Action Tranny in Provo. I'll also be calling State Transmission in ARM tomorrow morning. I also did some looking around on the interweb. Seems like there's no limit to how much you can spend.

moabrangler

Check with JACK at Tourist Transmission, 1016 so. State,SLC. 364-5743. He rebuilt my Jeep trans . was cheaper than some other shops. did a GR8 job .

Caleb

Back when I had my truck it seemed those that were serious about wanting beef would go the ATS route (www.atsdiesel.com). This was a couple years ago so I don't know how things have changed or progressed since then.

I spoke with the guy at State Transmission this morning. After asking a bunch of questions, he thinks it could be the ABS sensor on the rear diff being fubar. Suggested replacing it, undoing the batteries to clear the memory, and letting the tranny relearn how to shift.

I bought the sensor, and had the dealer swap out the recalled CMP sensor while I was there (took 10 minutes). I put in the sensor and will do the battery thing after work.

Supposed to drive 30-50 miles on surface streets, stop and go traffic, with OD off, first mellow, then a little more throttle, finally full throttle. I'll make sure I do that in Sandy around some cops.

Meat_

Banned
Back when I had my truck it seemed those that were serious about wanting beef would go the ATS route (www.atsdiesel.com). This was a couple years ago so I don't know how things have changed or progressed since then.

Apparently they have been having serious quality control issues in recent years. Suncoast is the bomb now (and really then too).

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Second on Wide Open Performance in Sandy,

I like them for a Diesel shop in general but they know what is going on with the powerstroke world...

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
They have had some weird problems after replacing the recalled cps. I'm keeping my old one. Check out dieselstop.com if you want to know about the big/best rebuild companies. BTS, john woods, suncoast, ats etc etc Lots of first hand knowledge there;)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Like? I've gotten pretty crappy mileage of late. I wonder if the CPS and the new fuel is working in combo?

Runs more rough, and won't pass cylinder contribution tests- Cylinder 8 fails, they put the old one back in and problems solved

06bluejeep

Automatic Transmission Center on 1900 west and about 3000 s in Ogden.I've used them on two of my trucks and I couldn't be happier.

ricsrx

If my trans ever goes bad I'm planning on a bts (brians truck shop) transmission. They are like in arkansas or something but wide open perf, is a dealer and installer. Not cheap though. If not my backup is to do it myself and get the suncoast rebuild kit.

x2 for Brians truck shop. I paid the price but well worth it!