Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Skuggy

Fab'n often-rarely wheeln Corban_White's Avatar

Project Skuggy

Well, I've been on here for a while and working on this build even longer so I figured it's time to start a build thread. A while ago my friend and I picked up a 76 IH Scout II for around $600. It ran but that's about it. We then began the slow (more time than money but not much of either) process of making this into a street driveable wheeling machine aka "skuggy" (scout-buggy)
    Here it is when we got it home:

Then it sat behind the house for a while getting some freeze plugs replaced, new ignition, etc.

Then we removed all the nasty carpet from the floor, walls and celing and wire wheeled the rust off (this only took about 4 days and 4-5 wire wheels) but, I neglected to get any pics of this step. When we got the Scout it was w/o seats so we stole some from a 87 civic and fabbed up some mounts to use the origional risers.

Then we started cutting out all the rusted thru spots of the floor. In hindsight we should have just replaced three pieces; the drivers side, the pass. side and the back. Since this is a budget build (not my budget-my buddy's.......well, his wifes) it was decided to just replace the pieces below.
    Last edited by Corban_White; 06-11-2008 at 09:25 PM.

2. We invite you to join our Off-Road Community!

Welcome Guest! Please take the time to join us. It's Free!

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining (which is free) will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view full attachments, and other contents of RME4x4.com. It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of RME, please login above to gain full access to the site.

Oh yeah, and somewhere in the middle of all this cutting we cut out the rockers and welded in some integrated rockers/sliders made from 2x4x.120 tube. Yes I know that the body is now welded solid to the frame.....in fact, I have removed all the rotted rubber and rusted steel body mounts and replaced them with my own steel ones. This will facilitate the mounting of the cage in the near future as well as helping keep the rusty body attached to the rusty frame.

nice ! keep us posted
    its a scout not a $#&^ing jeep

5. U4WDA Banner

I didn't get any good pics of the patch panels welded in but they can be seen in this one.

And these for the rear:

I also had to weld some supports onto the back as the weight of the tailgate was ripping the back of the body off:

Now to get started on the cage!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Corban_White; 06-11-2008 at 09:22 PM.

We measured and measured and measured to get the cage to follow closely to the body. we had to do a little trimming and patching up front and the dash had to come out (we will custom make a new one) but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

It's all in now, just tacked. I need to get it all welded and then start on the dash. Oh, and there will be one more bar across the back (just waiting on some tube clamps to make it removeable) as well as some gussets on the corners. I know it should have an angled piece on the B-pilar but my buddy says no so we can still access the rear seat. He knows the weakness and isn't such an extreme driver. (yet, maybe we will add it later)

I'll post updates as we progress but this is a pretty slow build so don't expect too much. Still needs front and rear bumpers, tube fender flares (tied into the bumpers and rockers/sliders) and a few other things before we can get it registered.

opinions are like Jeeps.. ChestonScout's Avatar
    Lookin sweet! Not much of a Skuggy though
    TTC nutcase,HardGrass Havoc's original BADASS
    Thanks to Diesel Power, Midnight 4x4, and Boyce Equipment for your continuing Support!

not yet.......that's why its a project!!!

Although I don't think it will ever be quite as extreme as yours, we are planning on topping out around 40's and such, but eventualy there will just be tubes and flat sheet metal between them for a body

Its nice to see scouts on here.
    I like to build things with wood.

Nice write up so far. Are you going to add a horizontal piece of tube to follow the top of the tub line in the rear? That would help to triangulate the rear section.
    Too many projects, too little time.

Across the back or along the sides?

opinions are like Jeeps.. ChestonScout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corban_White View Post
    not yet.......that's why its a project!!!

Although I don't think it will ever be quite as extreme as yours, we are planning on topping out around 40's and such, but eventualy there will just be tubes and flat sheet metal between them for a body

Gotcha. Good luck on the build. If you have any questions or need ideas...my Scout is just sitting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44 flex.jpg  
    TTC nutcase,HardGrass Havoc's original BADASS
    Thanks to Diesel Power, Midnight 4x4, and Boyce Equipment for your continuing Support!

Quote Originally Posted by Corban_White View Post
    Across the back or along the sides?
    Along the sides.
    Too many projects, too little time.

We've been considering it.

Some updates on the scout, I finished welding the cage, sprayed bedliner on the inside, reinforced and painted the seat mounts, and fabbed up a dash. It is just temporarily mounted (hot glue ) for now. Pics:

Last edited by Corban_White; 08-03-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast