Farmington Canyon

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
on Thursday both Gi'schick and I took the old cj7 up Farmington canyon just to get away from everything.... we were not in a hurry so we took it slow and just stopped whenever to look at the sites.

The forest service were in a hurry for some reason... their trucks came flying down the canyon and almost hit us... guess they wanted to get home!
We only saw a few other cars and a several atv up playing on the roads.

About half a mile into the skyline route we came across a explorer from New York, with an airman from hill air force base and his wife, that stopped to ask questions about the area and to tell us the road ahead was blocked by snow...

Well we continued on up the road to find more and more snow along side the road until we came to a corner that was 4/5th covered in snow and if we had tried to cross it I am sure we would have slid off the side of the road down the 400-500 foot drop off... so we turned around and headed back due to my brake pedal was starting to get soft and go to the floor.... At a level area I stopped to look at the brakes and found my master cylinder was empty (was full before we left) and I didn't have any on the cj.....

This is when I noticed that my radiator was leaking.... not much but leaking...

So we decided that was enough for that day and headed down the mountain... it was a very bumpy ride down even more so then when we came up... I didn't think much of it due to I don't have shocks on my rear axle and now all the weight was on the front....

When we got out of the canyon and stopped at the chevron to get some brake fluid, I also decided to see if I could move the radiator hose further onto the radiator and tighten it to stop the leak... this is when I found that the bottom part had actually come unsoldered and the leak was coming from there.... so we filled the radiator after filling the brake cylinder and headed for home asap!!!

So total damn= one busted radiator support that caused the lower hose mount to come unsoldered and come apart (see picture)... found that the axle due to no shocks had actually twisted downwards causing the shackles to bind in the up position with when the axle twisted also broke the brake feed line causing the no fluid situation....(see picture of shackles).

But all in all it was a great get away for a few hours of our hectic lifes.

And to also add we picked up a whole trashbag of trash up there from beer cans, bottles, to walmart plastic bags... it was terrible up there I think one of the groups up north needs to sponsor a cleanup day before everyone starts going up there for picnics!!!

Attachments

• Picture 007a.jpg
    Picture 007a.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Picture 013a.jpg
    Picture 013a.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 20

KyleWS

Dang, ive had a few moments up farmington like that before. that sucks about your cj. i cant wait to get up there this year.