Stretched Wheelbase on a tj

Xploderkid97

k, so im just trying to learn as much as i possibly can while i save up money to do what i want for my tj. My biggest question is, what are the pro's and con's of stretching a wheelbase on a tj? with that, should i stretch it? or leave it where it is at? I have a daily driver and a tow rig, so its not a big concern for it to be out of commission Thanks for the help!

chadschoon

if you do the rear plan on a fuel cell, also if you do the front you'll most likely want full hydro to make things alittle easier.

1993yj

Stretching my YJ was the best mod I have done. It is a bit trickier on a TJ, but I think you will be happy with the results. chadscoon already gave input on the two things I can think of. If you don't want to mess with the steering though you can leave the front axle where it is and just push the rear axle back.

RockChucker

if you want to stretch the front, search pirate. there is a whole bunch of info on tj stretches and axle swaps. i think a lot of people use an astrovan steering box because it bolts on the same, but it spins opposite of a tj's. this makes it so you can put the pitman arm on so it points towards the front of the jeep, and then allows you to push your front axle forward. hope this helps and makes some sense. i have looked into stretching a little and if it didn't cost so much, i would totally do it.

here is the link to that stretch thread on pirate:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578353

Bart

What are you planning on stretching? Just the wheelbase? The tub? Are you going to comp cut the rear corners or leave enough to keep flares? Are you changing/moving gas tanks?

If not stretching the tub GenRight has a pretty straight forward kit. Kind of pricey but takes all the fabbing out of the equation.

My stretch is on here somewhere, but I did the tub too. Big project but well worth it.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Basically every TJ that comes into our shop ends up getting stretched. I'm not sure where you live, but if you're close to the SL Valley, you should stop by just to see an example or two before starting your project.

Xploderkid97

Hey guys thanks for the advice, Im located in highland so i will definately try and get up to take a look. I am planning on just stretching the wheelbase, and leave the tub and frame as is. i was thinking of just doing the rear, but is there any benefit of going both front and rear? I would like to run a competition cut, and then build a quick bolt on fender that i can throw on when i hit the street. Just to have the joy of driving around town every now and then:D rock krawler offers a stretch kit, and that sure sounds a lot nicer than fabing everything myself, Are you guys running any kits? or do it all on your own? If so, which one should i go with?