Jeep Willys ground-up build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So, I've been notified that I'm lazy, and am therefore slacking on posting any pics or info on what I'm doing--so I'll go ahead and start a thread to motivate me to update anything, ever. :ugh:

I've been slowly collecting parts for most of this year, but haven't done too terribly much work--so updates to this thread will e few and far between, so bear with me.

Outline: I want a flatfender Jeep, sorta similar to my old one (which I miss) but built far better, and with better components. My old Willys was my first real "builder", so I learned as I went and made a bunch of mistakes and re-work. This one will hopefully turn out much cleaner and thus work better. :)

I acquired a CJ2A tub/front clip/windshield frame/tailgate. It's pretty rough, but most of the rust is limited to the floorboards so they'll be relatively easy to replace. The sides and cowl are surprisingly solid compared to the floors, so I'm golden. I don't like the looks of stretched-body flatties, but I need to create enough room to fit my long legs, plus 2 kids in a backseat so more room is definitely needed. I've settled on stretching it mildly in 2 different spots so it'll be less noticeable. So far I've stretched it 4" in the middle of the rear wheelwell, and cut the wheelwell out to fit a 37" tire with more compression travel than the original would allow. (pics to come later) I'll stretch it an additional 2 or 3 inches in the door opening.

I have a GM 3.8 out of a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville, bolted to a Chrysler 904 from an early 2.8 Cherokee, which will be bolted to my Dana 300. The 300 has 4:1 gears and a heavy-duty output shaft. It's a 1980 D300, which is the only model that won't readily accept HD output shaft housings, so I modified it appropriately. (again, pics later) All I needed to bolt it up where I wanted it to was a simple clocking ring.

I have a front Dana 44 out of a Wagoneer, I have 4.56 gears for it, as well as a Detroit locker. I'm planning on using a 1986 or later Toyota minitruck rear axle in the rear, but I don't have that one yet.

Steering will use a steering box, I have one from an Astro van (thanks Kiel!) since it's a standard Saginaw box, but reverse rotation so it uses a forward-facing pitman arm.

I kept the gas pedal, brake pedal, brake booster and master cylinder from the Bonneville, I'm planning on using all of that if I can make it fit OK. I also kept the fuel sending unit and pump from the same car which I'll build a fuel cell to match the depth of.

The frame will not be a typical box tube one, I'm going to use round tube for both the "frame" as well as the cage, and they'll be tied together everywhere, sandwiching the body where they need to. Think all-tube buggy, with a flatfender tub sandwiched inside. I do want to keep it low and street-legal, which will complicate things a bit, but will also serve to make it a "sleeper" of sorts, which I like. :D

So far the only actual fabrication I've done is the 4" stretch on the tub, the D300 output shaft bolt pattern change, the engine-side motormounts, and I've started the mounts for a necessary idler pulley to make a serpentine belt work without the air conditioning compressor I removed to make room for a motor mount. (the engine was originally a front-wheel-drive transverse mount, so it didn't have typical side mounts on the block)

I'll try to get some pics up, which will make this thread slightly more worthwhile. ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think what you've done so far to the tub looks great. I hate hate HATE comp cuts. So big props for not taking the easy way out. :D

The round tube frame you have planned immediately reminds me of Shannon Campbell's old pink rigs. :D I might still have some articles in old Jp Mag's if you want them.

Watch the injectors on that 3.8-- my brother had one stick open, and it hydrolocked that cylinder and broke the cam. :eek: With 80k on the car.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Good info on the injectors, although I'm not terribly sure how to "keep an eye on them". This motor has 170K-ish, so I'm going to replace the timing chain and oil pump before I get too many hours on it once it runs....otherwise I'm not really planning on giving it too much of a workover since it ran well until I pulled it.

notajeep

Just me
Good news is that this is a super common (ie: CHEAP) motor should you ever have a problem.
It's Almost like Tacoma is trying to Jinx you. :greg:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sounds like a fun build Carl, I've been interested in hearing how you were going to put this together. You didn't mention suspension, are you going to build it with leafs or links?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sounds like a fun build Carl, I've been interested in hearing how you were going to put this together. You didn't mention suspension, are you going to build it with leafs or links?

Links, definitely. I forgot to mention those in my list o'parts, but I have a good length of 1.75" .375 chromoly that will be my lower links, a few Summit Machine flex joints, a couple random heims, and if I don't have enough to build everything I have easy access to the big Tera control arms joints. :greg:

Depending on how finances look once I'm ready for suspension, I'll decide between coilovers and airshocks. (unless I happen across a great deal on a used set in the meantime...or something)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
read here
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424008&page=1
obviously not what you want as far a suspension or comp cut, but the stretch work is pretty cool.

AND the slider and steering designs are REALLY cool

That is some nice stretch work, and a perfect example of what I don't want it to look like. ;) I want mine to appear stock at first glance.

I forgot to mention, I have some 35"-ish Maxxis Bighorns for this rig also. (305/70/17) With the stretches in the body and the moving of the front and rear axles I'll be able to get around or a bit over 90" wheelbase without it looking funny or "stretched". I won't know for sure until I start bending tube enough to mock up axle positions.

Bart

Cool, cool, cool. I've been waiting to see what you're up to. It's about time. Now we need pics. BTW, if you have a spare windshield or know where one is, I need one, even if it's in rough shape.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Can't wait for the pictures, I like flat fenders. I have a good guy for injectors if you change your mind- Damn Tacoma-_-

Corban_White

Cool, cool, cool. I've been waiting to see what you're up to. It's about time. Now we need pics. BTW, if you have a spare windshield or know where one is, I need one, even if it's in rough shape.

I have a usable (not streat legal) one out of a scout if you need. The glass is flat and it could probably be trimmed to fit.

RockChucker

that sounds like quite the project carl! cody told me you got a flat fender but that is as far as it went. i will be watching this for sure!