Wagoneer front axle width?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The front D44 I have for my Willys came from a Wagoneer, and I was under the impression it was close to 62" wide WMS-WMS, which is a bit wider than I'd like it to be to match my rear Toyota axle at 58". As I looked around for axle shaft lengths, (contemplating narrowing) I ran across this, which says mine should be 59".....perfect, if that's true. Mine's all disassembled, so I can't easily verify that.

Can anyone tell me for sure? Either have one you can measure, or used to have one you know the width of? Mine is a passenger side drop, which should be that 1974-79 I believe. My axle shaft lengths do match what are listed below, so that gives me hope.

axlehousing.gif

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
FSJ fronts should be just about 59" unless you've got (and from a Wag, you don't) a "Wide Track" from a Chief or a truck, which should be... 65" or so.

That's off the top of my FSJ head, which is a little rusty these days. I used to know this stuff cold. ;)

be warned that later (82+) were using a lot of odd parts that supposedly weren't actually offered. Brake parts, that kind of thing, so their might be some variation possible there.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Not sure about your pass drop 1974-79 axle, but my 1980-84 driver drop is definitely 62" wms to wms. I'd assume the older axles might be a little narrower.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My 78 narrow track waggy front dana 44 was narrowed by 3.5" and is now right around 56-56.5 inches wide which would put the stock width at 59.5-60" I could go home and measure it for sure if you want.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My 78 narrow track waggy front dana 44 was narrowed by 3.5" and is now right around 56-56.5 inches wide which would put the stock width at 59.5-60" I could go home and measure it for sure if you want.

That would be fantastic if you could. While you're under there, measure between the upper balljoints or something--just so I can compare with my taken-apart housing.

Thanks everyone so far! I hate conflicting information. :sick:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
That would be fantastic if you could. While you're under there, measure between the upper balljoints or something--just so I can compare with my taken-apart housing.

Thanks everyone so far! I hate conflicting information. :sick:

I measured it this morning and came up with the following measurements on my narrowed axle. I only had time to take off one wheel so I might be off a bit:
between the upper balljoints 44" (should be about 47.5 on one that wasn't shortened)
upper ball joint to WMS 6 5/8"
So the total should be 2x(6 5/8) + 44 = 57.25" (+ 3.5" = 60.75" plus or minus a bit.)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Thanks Dave. It's a bit wider than I'd hoped, but narrower than I originally thought it was....probably not worth narrowing, so I'm still set--just not as perfectly as the picture in the first post tells me I am. :)

If it bugs me too much, I can always narrow the housing after everything's finished and driving, and most likely only have to redo one bracket and steering link lengths. That'll be my backup plan. :cool:

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
Carl, I finally got around to measuring the '78 PSD Waggy axle I have. It is exactly 58" from outside brake rotor to outside brake rotor, there is approximately 1.75" on each side out to the WMS which gives you 61.5". Sorry it took me so long.