Help us re-open Coyote Canyon

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Help us re-open Coyote Canyon

Background: Coyote Canyon is one of Moab’s premier rock crawling trails. With the implementation of the BLM’s new Moab RMP, it is now closed to vehicle traffic.

Why it was closed: The new RMP limits motorized travel to “designated” routes. Any route to be considered for travel had to be included on the BLM maps prior to December 30, 2003. While we were successful in getting several previously un-mapped trails on the list (such as Rusty Nail, Where Eagles Dare, and the Pickle) prior to the deadline, Coyote was not submitted. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, Coyote did not exist prior to this date. It was, however, created in an area that was designated “open” at the time of creation, which technically made it legal. Since the trail was not included, it was never considered, and was therefore closed.

How we can get it re-opened: The new RMP allows for the designation of new routes. However, the BLM has not yet created a procedure for this. Moab Friends-For-Wheelin’ wants to gather information, letters of support, etc. now, so we can submit our request for designation as soon as the BLM allows.

What we need: I would like everyone that has an interest in seeing this trail re-opened to write a letter of support, and mail or email it to me. I will collect the letters, and then submit them to the BLM along with other documents (photos, GPS data, our “Adopt-A-Trail" proposal, etc.). At some time in the future, I may also ask for letters to be sent directly to the BLM, but at this point we need to wait for their “procedure” to be put into place.

What to say in your letter: Please address your letter to “BLM, Moab Field Office, 82 E. Dogwood Ave, Moab UT 84532.” Some ideas include: Tell them why you think Coyote Canyon should be re-opened. Why is it important to you and your family? Why is it important to Moab’s economy? Why do we need a legal, “hardcore” rock crawling trail? How can a trail such as Coyote Canyon help take pressure off of other existing trails such as Pritchett Canyon or Moab Rim? What would you personally do to help insure that Coyote Canyon and the surrounding area remains clean and free of abuse?

Thank you! Please email letters to me at drtsqrl@frontiernet.net. Or, you can mail a hard copy to me (PM me for my address). I believe that we have a pretty decent shot at this, but we need your help!

Jeff Stevens

Moab Friends-For-Wheelin’
RR4W
U4WDA Southeast VP
BRC
USA-All
UFWDA
Tread Lightly!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll start working on my letter, sounds like a fun project that I need to be involved with. I'd love to see Coyote Opened again, it's a one of a kind trail.

Jeff, do you mind if I post this on other sites? CO4x4, POR, etc?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I'll start working on my letter, sounds like a fun project that I need to be involved with. I'd love to see Coyote Opened again, it's a one of a kind trail.

Jeff, do you mind if I post this on other sites? CO4x4, POR, etc?

Thanks, Greg - The more the better!

russelle

I would recommend you use the BLM established Amendment or Revision process per 43 CFR 1610.5-5 and 43 CFR 1610.5-6, respectively and BLM Manual MS-1601. This is persuant to Designation Procedures and Changes, 43 CFR 8342.2 and 43 CFR 8342.3. However, this is analogous a court case the burden of proof is yours to present in order to be sucessful. Documentation/requirements include trail coordinates, EIS (potentially), proof of creation under "open" travel designation, ORV demand, proof of ORV use monitoring in the area, change of scope, etc. Probably will cost $$$ to collect the required documentation and make the proposal but it can be done. Also recommend you show validity consistant with the National Management Strategy for Motorized Off-Highway Vehicle Use On Public Lands, dated 19 Jan 2001 and the BLM's current multiple-use public land policy, 43 CFR 1601.0-2 and MS-1601. This multi-use policy is IAW Legislature per 43 USC 1701 et seq., "goals and objectives be established by law as guidelines for public land use planning, and that management be on the basis of multiple use and sustained yield unless otherwise specified by law;"
Additionally, the guidance and procedures for Land Use Planning, per the BLM, are provided in BLM Handbook H 1601-1. “This Handbook provides guidance for preparing, revising, amending, and maintaining land use plans. This Handbook also provides guidance for developing subsequent implementation (activity-level and project-specific) plans and decisions….This guidance does not, however, change or revise the planning regulations in 43 CFR 1600, which take precedence over this Handbook.” I would focus attention on Section VI and VII; however, to truly grasp the BLM’s Land Use Planning process and create successful change a review of the whole 161 pages of bureaucracy is probably necessary. Talk to the field office manager in Moab as Land Use Planning is initiated at the local/lowest levels.

Last edited:

Badbuggy

rock star
Sent my first e-mail over to you, let me know what else you need. and consider this a "bump" back to the top so everyone will read it. This one is important guys, thanks for your help.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
C'mon, guys, we need some letters! So far I have recieved 8 letters (only a couple from RME), but we need 10 times that many!

If you have ANY interest at all in seeing Coyote Canyon re-opened, we NEED YOUR HELP! Please take a minute to write a short letter and email it to me. Everything you need to know is in the first post on this thread.

Thanks - Jeff

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sorry, Jeff. Composing a letter right now. Thanks for the push.

Me too... :-\ Sorry for the delay.

Come on guys! I expected more support from the members of RME! If you've ran Coyote Canyon before you know how fun it was, don't you want to do it again? If you haven't ran it yet, help out those that want to.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
It's a bad ass trail, IMHO.

Here's some pics if you've not seen it.

http://www.marbryson.com/Saturday14.htm

http://www.marbryson.com/oct08-coyote.html

http://www.marbryson.com/coyote2004.html
(that's an exceptionally crappy HTML page---100 pics on one page--cool pics, but bad HTML writing)
DSCN1212.JPG

IMG_3375.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

This is an exceptionally worthy trail and could lead the way to getting a process in place to keep or get other things open that might be interesting.

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
letter sent,

Please, please post up when and what the new procedures are when they come out, we have a trail down here that falls in the same situation, we have enough documentation to have it concidered if possible.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
my letter:

Hi my name is ______

I'm a local 4 wheel drive enthusiast and member of the Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association. I would like to thank you as members of the of the RMP commitee for taking the time to read my letter. Because Coyote Canyon, to my knowledge, was an un-named trail prior to 2003 I noticed that it was ommited from the most recent Moab RMP listing of "designated routes." We currently are working to submit GPS data as well a trail descriptions of this area so that you as a board can consider it to be added to the list of designated travel routes. I would encourage each of you as you have the chance to review this information to make the decision to add it to the RMP.

Coyote Canyon has been one of the premier trail destinations for many OHV and 4 Wheel drive users around the country and I think it is vital that we keep it open and available for use. I believe it would take pressure of such trails as Pritchett Canyon and Rusty Nail because it would allow more "hardcore" users to have another trail to use.

I personally bring along a trashbag and fill in on each of my trail rides with my wife and I will continue to do that for Coyote Canyon. I know that members of the U4WDA are all commited to responsible trail use and maintanance through cleanups and staying on trail.

I also believe that Coyote Canyon is an important destination for many travelers and I know from two good friends that were born and raised in Moab,___________, that tourist dollars are what provide a major part of their families income. Please keep these destination travelers visiting the beautiful area in and around Moab, Utah.

Please consider adding this trail to the list and allowing me and my friends in the offroad community the opportunity to use this trail responsibly.

Again thank you for your time and consideration.
name
contact info....