Report Field Trip to Mt. Logan Off-Road

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
***Due to my personal schedule, this field trip was done in December, but not posted until January. Once again John and the Mt Logan guys have been very patient and professional to work with. Some of these projects have probably left the shop already, but I still want to hear about them and get a follow up. Thanks again to John for his time in this very interesting field trip!***

showroom11.jpg

I made a trip up to Logan to visit with John and to take a tour of Mt Logan's shop and it was way worth the drive! John was very good to take some time out of his busy day to talk to me, and give me a walkthrough of his shop.

Last time I was at Mt Logan was close to 10 years ago. In my mind they were still in the small shop, but they have WAY out grown the old location. They are now at 286 N 850 W in Logan. This building is huge! It is so large I expected multi level and shared, but they keep this whole place busy.

From the street
IMG_1443.jpg

From the parking lot
IMG_1442.jpg

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
My first impression was "WOW what a big show room!" I should have tried to take some better photos of the whole thing to give you a better impression, but for a 4x4 / fab shop these guys have a very well stocked show room with lots to look at.

Here is what I mean. They have tons of killer wheels in stock. In the back are even more in boxes ready to go
showroom01.jpg

They move a lot of seats too. Good to see them in person and not just photos on a website.
showroom02.jpg

These are Mt Logan made bumpers. These are some of the cleanest JK bumpers I have seen. Very impressive. I have more photos and video of them being made in the shop.
showroom03.jpg

The inside of those bumpers. Every weld, corner, bend, etc look perfect on these. I was very impressed with them
showroom18.jpg

And matching sliders for the JK's as well.
showroom04.jpg

Some photos of the perimeter displays as I walked around
showroom05.jpg

showroom06.jpg

showroom07.jpg

showroom08.jpg

showroom10.jpg

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
But the walls of the shop are lined with magazine covers and write ups about some of their builds. Mt Logan has a long history of some incredible work that has helped to shape the 4x4 market.

showroom12.jpg

showroom13.jpg

The photo of this did not turn out very well, you have to see this paint job in person. They have a local paint shop that has some serious talent do work for them.
showroom14.jpg

showroom15.jpg

The amount of inventory they kept in the showroom was impressive. John said that the winter months are a little more trim on inventory than the spring and summer months, but I was still very impressed, I will have to go back up there in a few months again
showroom16.jpg

showroom17.jpg

showroom19.jpg

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Then out to the shop! :D

My camera would not come close to being able to give you an idea of the size and what is going on inside the shop. This is about 1/4 of it. I did not even try to show it all. Mt Logan is set up to work on many projects at the same time.
IMG_1383.jpg

The storage corner. Lots of parts just waiting for a new home. These guys do have a lot of parts on-hand. If you need a transfer case, axle shaft, this or that. It is probably worth a call up there to see if they have it.
inside01.jpg

Rack of steering links and drive lines. And my guess is that John could from the top of his head tell you what application every one of those are used for. The guy is a walking 4x4 encyclopedia.
inside02.jpg

These two chevy engines are waiting to be installed in two of the projects.
inside04.jpg

They must have had 8 or projects inside the shop being worked on when I was there. And it was not even close to being tight on space.

First off is this blue CJ. For the past 9 years I have owned CJ's so I am always a sucker for them. I am not sure exactly what this was all at Mt Logan for, but I think the bulk of the work was a new aluminum tub. Under the dust and aluminum shavings it looked like a new jeep. The funny thing to me was that this is a killer project by itself, but it gets dwarfed by all of the other big projects that were going on. :)

blueCJ01.jpg

blueCJ02.jpg

blueCJ03.jpg

And this one was in again. I understand that a few years ago Mt Logan lengthened the wheel base, and now it was back in for more work.
yellowCJ01.jpg

yellowCJ02.jpg

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Out of all the projects they had going on this is the one that was the coolest to me. Not that it was extreme, or wild, or anything, but this thing was very clean, very capable, very practical. This is something that you could use as your daily driver, commuter, and still be extremely capable off road.

whiteWrangler01.jpg

Inside are 4 bucket seats. So everyone gets to ride in comfort :)
whiteWrangler04.jpg

whiteWrangler06.jpg

The Mt Logan sliders and bumpers have been installed. I was seriously impressed by the quality of these bumper and sliders, I would not hesitate to suggest these for any JK
whiteWrangler07.jpg

whiteWrangler08.jpg

closer shot of the pivot. That thing was giant! Obviously made to take the abuse.
whiteWrangler09.jpg

whiteWrangler10.jpg

whiteWrangler03.jpg

whiteWrangler13.jpg

Those are 37" tires and 17" rims. I really like the look of this.
whiteWrangler14.jpg

These photos are a few weeks old :( I have been busy at getting around to the write up, but I hope that John can give us more specs on this, and all of the work that Mt Logan has done to it.

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Here is one of the Mt Logan bumpers being created :) They were working on opening for the lights at the moment.

bumperfab01.jpg

bumperfab02.jpg

bumperfab03.jpg

bumperfab04.jpg

bumperfab05.jpg

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I had heard rumors about Mt Logan working on side by sides. When I stopped by there were just a few that had been worked on. I was surprised at all the mods that can be done to one of these. And they are bringing what they learned from strong and light rock crawlers to the side by side market with these cages and tube work.

rhino01.jpg

rhino02.jpg

rhino03.jpg

rhino04.jpg

rhino05.jpg

rhino06.jpg

rhino07.jpg

rhino08.jpg

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I am also a sucker for tools :D Here are a few quick photos of what was in the tool corner.

Plasma table. You draw the shape you want, lay it on the right hand side, and the little eye will follow the shape and cut it out of metal on the left side
tools01.jpg

I would like to keep a band saw like this busy for hours. And notice they have a few of everything.
tools03.jpg

This was the coolest tube notcher I have ever seen... very very cool. Basically it is a mill that is used to notch tubing. Set the tube, angle, off-set, etc. Then when you turn the handle the mill moves in an arch to make the notch. I will post some video of it as well. It sure makes my hole saw and angle grinder look like cave man tools.
tools02.jpg

tools04.jpg

tools05.jpg

tools06.jpg

This is the company that makes the notcher. It looks so familiar, but I can't recall where I have seen that logo and company name before.
tools07.jpg

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Here are a few more JK's in the line up to be worked on soon. From talking to John about the JK's, the guys at Mt Logan are cranking these things through. If you have any JK questions or work that needs to be done they for sure can take care of you.

redJk01.jpg

redJk02.jpg

redJk03.jpg

greenJK01.jpg

greenJK02.jpg

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Like a dummy I only got one photo of this one. But this would be a cool build up thread to have. They are going to try to put one of the big chevy engines into this one. That little toyota engine looked tight enough in there, but John had a few ideas of how it would work and he felt confident that it would go. When this is done it will be very impressive

redToyota01.jpg

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Bump to the top since this was written awhile back and not posted live until now. Have a read and enjoy! I hope to hear from the guys at Mt Logan with some updates and details, I was overwhelmed with great information and I am sure they will have some items of detail! :greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great writeup Rusted, I've heard nothing but good about the Mt Logan crew over the years.

I spy an old DJ's Traction Systems display in one of those pics. Whats the story there? :D

burke

wow, these guys have grown their business nicely. i had them do some work when they were in a little shop that the previous renters sold produce out of. probably the size of their lobby now.

I bought all of DJ's inventory when he quit doing this kind of work. Needless to say with the amount of link suspensions that we do, I still have a ton of it left. If you ever need any of those traction bar parts, let me know. I will sell them cheap.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I bought all of DJ's inventory when he quit doing this kind of work. Needless to say with the amount of link suspensions that we do, I still have a ton of it left. If you ever need any of those traction bar parts, let me know. I will sell them cheap.

Right there is a good example of of why it is worth a drive to Mt Logan for parts. John has his fingers all throughout the industry, and has all kinds of killer buy-ins and ways to find cheap parts. I was very impressed with the business savy methods they have for getting parts to the customers for cheap :greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Cool, I still get Cruiser in from time to time that have those systems, good to know parts are still around, I'll keep that in mind!

I remember all those traction bar kits when DJ closed shop, I bought a ton of his new and used inventory (Cruiser parts) and helped him move those out.

notajeep

Just me
Enough good can not be said about Mt logan, John and his Team. Always very professional and easy to work with. Just today, they installed My stauns for me, (so I didn't have to do it in the cold drive way. :greg:)

Here you can see the inner staun valve.
MtLogan001.jpg

Nate trying to hump my tire.... (we all know meat likes to hump Iroks too.. :greg: )
MtLogan002.jpg

There are always a bunch of sweet projects going on in the shop. Today I talked to Nate about his new personal jeep build that he is getting stated on. It is a sweet red LJ with 60's and 40"km2 that he will use as his daily driver.

Nate's new daily driver.....
MtLogan003.jpg

There were also several sweet JKs there is various stages of build. And as always, more JK owners walking throught the door. Ben does a great job of finding out what people want, and getting them killer prices. He is the best non salesman salesman that I have ever delt with. Everyone walks out feeling that they have a new best friend with him. I can't imagine that amout of wedding invites that he must get.
These guys are building a serious reputation as the place to go for some pretty sweet JK parts, conversions, lifts, and just about any other JK part you could possibly want.

And buggy parts too!

Dan C