survival gun (not zombie gun)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So I have been doing some thinking on which gun to put in my survival bag. I know I should have an AR with 6000 rounds and a FAL and 50 cal sniper and grenade launcher and what not. I am really looking to get a small caliber rifle or pistol. I am thinking some sort of .22 LR. I really need it to be light weight though. I also don't really want to carry a ton of weight in ammo. Any ideas? I just don't know about reliability and accuracy. What options should I look at. My backpack is 3800 cubic inches. The gun and ammo will be left in it all the time. I have plenty of zombie invasion guns.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Look no further than the Henry/Armalite AR7 Survival Rifle (carried at one time by the USAF). Its been made in many variations and by several different manufactures. Seem the early or new ones are great but they were some somewhat shotty (Charter) ones in between.

henry-survival.jpg

Everything folds into the stock

ar7-3.jpg

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
How small do you want to go? There are lots of super compact 22's out there if you want small and light.

How about the newer Rugar SP101 in .327

3" berrel
28 oz
< 8" long

That is smaller and lighter than something like the browning Mark series of 22 pistols but a lot more power to them. It would be a great camping gun.

Or do you have a .357 yet?

pELYgroso

'Merica
I love my .17 hmr rifle. Those little rounds are WAY deadlier than a .22 IMO. And, they're not a whole lot heavier/bulkier. Mine's a savage. love it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
How small do you want to go? There are lots of super compact 22's out there if you want small and light.

How about the newer Rugar SP101 in .327

3" berrel
28 oz
< 8" long

That is smaller and lighter than something like the browning Mark series of 22 pistols but a lot more power to them. It would be a great camping gun.

Or do you have a .357 yet?

I don't have a .357 yet. I had given some thought to it though. A couple of birdshot rounds and a box of regular might be nice. the rounds would be much more power, but I could carry 1000 .22 rounds for 100 .357. hmmm.

That henry .22 looks awesome. does anyone own one? Are they reliable and semi accurate? I am going to start some research onthem right now.

I thought about a .17hmr. I really like shooting them. I like the range and the one I shot was stupid accurate. I had a hard time finding one that was compact and light.

Last edited:

rdneckride

My father has a henery, He used it in the Sacramento Delta and was decently accurate at 100 yards with out much kentucky windage. We had few jams out of it. It is light and easy to use. I agree a good .22 would be a great survuival gun compaired to the .223 for weight and amount of ammunition you can carry or easily store. Personally all my servival guns are .22 for the fact ammunition is cheap and plentiful. The guns are simple and deadly when used properly. Then I don't have to worry about not having ammo for pistol or rifles. I also keep a bore snake packed with them so that I can clean them as needed. great light weight cleaning tool I'd not suggest anythign but.

I do wish they made a lighter compact ruger 10/22 as I had many of those that are accurate to 150 yards without major issues.

rdneckride

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
And the .357 will shoot the .38's as well. Little smaller to pack around, cheaper for the times of plinking. If you don't have a .357 yet maybe it is time :)

bobmed

- - - -
I have an SP101 in .357 and it's one I like best.
Light .38 loads are great for plinking.
I tried the shot loads and they only work for close range like les than 10 yds.
They spread real fast.
Also the Hogue monogrip is real nice for a little better grip.:cool:

Attachments

• 49L.jpg
    49L.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 344380.jpg
    344380.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 2

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
That henry .22 looks awesome. does anyone own one? Are they reliable and semi accurate? I am going to start some research onthem right now.
My Dad has one, great for packing, No problems with them. It will float if you drop it in the water. (Styrofoam insert that hold all the parts disassembled in the butt). I thought it was pretty accurate for iron sites. I've been wanting to pick one up but haven't done it yet.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
And the .357 will shoot the .38's as well. Little smaller to pack around, cheaper for the times of plinking. If you don't have a .357 yet maybe it is time :)

Is there a big difference between .357 and .40? I know the basic differences.

bobmed

- - - -
About the same recoil if you're talking about the .40 S&W.
The .40 was made to have the same ballistics as a .357, I don't know how close it is though.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
About the same recoil if you're talking about the .40 S&W.
The .40 was made to have the same ballistics as a .357, I don't know how close it is though.

Yeah .40 S&W. I already have one of those in a glock 23. I was wondering if a .357 would be a big advantage.

bobmed

- - - -
Sorry, it's the 357 sig that is supposed to be the same.
357 sig is a necked down .40, it increases the velocity.
I think the 40 and 357 mag are close enough, the only advantage to the .357 revolver is being able to shoot lighter 38 special and full power 357 loads.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
just some quick numbers, and these vary on lots of things.

typical .357
158 gr bullet
1240 fps
539 ft-lbs

typical .40
165 gr bullet
1150 fps
484 ft-lbs

Much closer that I expected on the balistics. The .357 is about 10% larger than the 40.

typical 38
148 gr
690 fps
156 ft-lbs

And to shoots .38's is much smaller than I expected.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I have a Henry Survival rifle and I have to say it has been a very reliable weapon:).. I did take some time to tear it down and do some basic deburring with some 1000 grit and have never had a misfire. I have heard that it can be picky on ammo and that the cheap cheap stuff isn't very good in it and causes some jams but I have never had a problem with it.. I have at least 1000 rounds through it at this point.
I have found it rather accurate as well out to about 100 yards :)