Heat shield and wrap

Bart

Since I put my rockers (1/2" alum) on I have lots of heat coming up through the floorboards. I need to fix this before EJS. I am going to wrap the exhaust and/or add a layer of heat shield to the bottom of the floor. Does one work better than the other, or would you do both? I can find both items at Summit Racing (TAY-02533 and DEI-010412), but would buy local if available. Anyone know of a local supplier?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Heat shields seem to work pretty well... I had a similar issue in my old M725-- the mufflers were right under the footwell, w/side exit in front of the rear wheels. I cobbled up a suitable guard w/some roof flashing I think, and old trailer u-bolts LOL

Helped quite a bit.... but I'd do both if I could.

STAG

On my grind
I got my exhaust wrap at CheckerAuto in American Fork... It cost me ~$50 do get everything I needed to have enough to do my header. (I bought a 50(linear)'x1" roll, and had 2 linear feet left. I bought stainless steel "zip-Ties" (these are incredibly strong and will not let go!)

Before I wrapped it I did the "Ceramic Coating" in a can, and had it baked on per instruction on the can, and it came out very nice and only cost me $7, but that was on a header and it might not be feasable to you to do your whole exhaust under your body panels..

I also bought a can of "Silicone Spray" that goes over the wrapping when its all finished, and then gets baked on (take it to a local powdercoater and use their baking oven). If you don't use the silicone spray, then the exhaust wrapping will soak up water, and retain it. Therefore causing rusting issues underneath the wrapping. However this is very effective.

Heat shields will keep the heat off the floor panel, but imo its more of a pain to work with.

pipewrap004.jpg

*Picture is just after I completed the exhaust wrap, before the silicone spray.

Here is a Write-Up Article that I did last year on my process... may or may not help you.
http://articles.jeepforum.com/Reduce_Underhood_Temps-_Exhaust_Wrap/

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I did both on my last rig. I eventually took off the shields though and just used the wrap. I tied the ends with wire and never had a problem with it.

STAG

On my grind
Oh and fwiw, I did the wrap on my headers, but when my build is done if I have a heat problem under the cab, I will use a shield, not the wrap... Just because that is A LOT of wrap that would be needed..

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I got my gray header wrap from summit, a lot cheaper there then local. But I think you should use lots of small directional fans:D

Bart

Thanks for all the replies. I won't have to do the headers, just the exhaust and mufflers under the seats. Funny you should mention that Kiel, I was thinking of fans of some kind, but will try the wrap and shield first.