Hand Throttle?

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
So as if I didn't already have enough projects to finish before EJS I was thinking about doing a hand throttle. How many of you have one. Did you buy a kit like the Rubicon Express Kit or did you just make your own. If you used your own was there anything you had to do special to make it work.

I got mine free from teleflex and it works great. Everything was in the kit. But it all can be done cheaper if you are buying the kit. You will just need to find a bike shop and they have everything you need. This is 1 of the cheapest mods I have and I know not supposed to but I use it on the road as cruise control.

chans

Like Wally said, go to a bike store perferably a roadie shop, and get a rear lever style shifter and it will come with the cable and get some cable housing. There is also bike swaps starting to go on or KSL or Ebay where you can find one. With the shifer it will stay until you shift or pull it back and you would have to connect the shifter somewhere but it can probably be clamped to the steering wheel instead of a handlebar and something to hook the cable housing to by the throtle.

Last edited:

chans

I've got some old shifters kicking around if you want one but they are the trigger shifters and the old style lever shifter would be better where you can shift forward or back by moving the lever instead of two triggers and you probably want a shifter with the 1 to 1 ratio. A grip shifter might be cool where you can mount it to your shifter and twist it one way for more throtle or back the other way for less and they are the cheapest.

Chris made ours and I must say if you drive a standard, a hand throttle is an amazing thing! :chris: He got the parts from the bike shop and just ran the cable down the gear shift and secured the mess with electrical tape. It was a very easy endeavor.

DAA

You'll probably want to make a small bracket for the cable adjuster to mount to at the throttle. And I like to use a small section of ball chain to connect to the throttle - helps keep the hand throttle action separated from the main throttle cable at all times.

IMG_2048.jpg

- DAA

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I've got some old shifters kicking around if you want one but they are the trigger shifters and the old style lever shifter would be better where you can shift forward or back by moving the lever instead of two triggers and you probably want a shifter with the 1 to 1 ratio. A grip shifter might be cool where you can mount it to your shifter and twist it one way for more throtle or back the other way for less and they are the cheapest.

I would gladly take one if I lived a little closer to you. The gas to drive from Ogden to Sandy would be the same as if I just went and bought one. I truly appreciate it though.
Thanks again.:)

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
You'll probably want to make a small bracket for the cable adjuster to mount to at the throttle. And I like to use a small section of ball chain to connect to the throttle - helps keep the hand throttle action separated from the main throttle cable at all times.

IMG_2048.jpg

- DAA

Nice, I like it.
I think I will have to head to the bike shop here at lunch. I guess it will be a friday night adventure. Throw in some Budweiswer and some good tunes and I think I have one hell of a good night planned.:D

Grim

buy the rubicon express, by the time you try and pice every thing together , its worth your time and money, the kit has everyting you need and easy to install

Jesser04

I've seen it done with a brake lever instead of a shifter and mounted it right below the handle on his shifter pointing up it was pretty slick deal

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Hey Russ (rholbrook) you down that way today. Snag me one of these guys from Carl and call me when you get to Kaysville and I will come pay you for it:D.
I am to lazy to drive down there, plus I have to work (surf RME) today.:)

kkemp

I don't know about the one from teraflex, but the one from RE doesn't come with the return spring. You still have to get that from the dealer.

spencevans

Overlander
My truck came with a hand throttle stock from the factory. It works great and I have never had any issues with the stock manual throttle. Only vehicle I have ever seen with a true manual throttle from the factory.

jdub

Scrambler
I like the brake lever option. The shifter is designed to stay in the place that you put it. Where that is super convenient I am worried if there were any situation that you would want a "kill switch?" It's there when you need it and off when you let go, no worries on looking down to figure out where it needs to be set. Rock ShoX has a pop-lock shifter(very compact) option that I think I will install that has a on/off option for a suspension lockout that would be nice. You set it at your desired speed and then tap it to release.

I'm looking at this at a Bike tech point of view. and am more than willing to help with the set up if anyone wants. I have a good handle on all the products, Just haven't used the hand throttle much yet.

The shifter that I've seen in the Offroad market are cheap, like a few dollars and clunky. Why not throw some cool gadgets at your rig-make it worth the effort.