General Tech Pro-Tools HMP-200 Budget Bender Build

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
So I just wanted to spread some of this tech. I dont get on here too much I mostly stick to DR and naxja but well lets be nice and say they are both at different ends of the extremes. Anywho I wanted a bender to build some cages for my junk and some prerunner bumpers and who knows what else really. I found in looking for bender that there was one major problem... MONEY!!! I am pretty broke and well anytime I can save some green I am happy(and I get to buy gas for that week :rofl:ha ha). I sent an e-mail to Dean Gordon @ pro-tools and asked for his free hmp-200 bender plans. Dean has been very helpful and I would recommend you talk to him if you are thinking of building or buying a bender or die.

Here is the build...
DSC01008.jpg

I had the side plates made from 3/8" steel rather then the 3/4" or whatever aluminum that pro-tools uses because steel is easier to come by. I had the guys at my dads work (aero-tech mfg)program it in and burn them out.
DSC01014.jpg

I got an HF air/hyrdo 12ton ram instead of the 20 ton pump jack the plans call for. I saved some money and I figure if it does'nt work I have a use for it. I can always buy the 20ton later. One thing to not is that the return springs for the ram are pretty close to what the bender plans call for and they come with some nice eyelets that I will use too.

DSC01012.jpg

I used 1/2" black pipe for the stabilizer tubes. The 9" long .5" bolts fit through the pipe nicely.
I cut the stabilizer tubes at the specified 7"

DSC01015.jpg

I went to THB nut and bolt supply and got the 9" long 1" bolt for the die pivot.
I need to source some 1.5"x.25wall dom for my die pivot.

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
My dad got my roller for me today along with my roller pin material.

DSC01017.jpg

Here you can see how the roller pin fits through and you can also see the side plates I have to start making my roller block.

DSC01016.jpg

I only have about $75 in the bender so far without the price of the 1.5" 120* die($270 shipped)

I need the following to finish it...

Make a baseplate
make the roller block
I need to find some 1.5"x.25 dom for the die pivot sleeve

A couple small things and the bender will be done. Updates soon.

STAG

On my grind
-_- I know hindsight is 20/20 but just wondering why would you want to build this style of bender when for not much more money you could build a draw type bender....? works tons better than this style... plus, just my .02.. but as fas as this bender goes you should have went with the 20 ton in the first place... you can get a new 20ton jack at NPS for dirt cheap.. most likely guaranteed cheaper than any deal you got on the 12 ton jack... with this style of bender you have zero leverage of the power on the jack.

But back to the draw bender, you wouldn't be much more money into making arms than you would be for this. And it would be able to have a degree ring so it would be able to be much more accurate(which equals less tube thrown away.) They use leverage with their rams so you need a much less powerful ram/pressure.

Check out this forum-
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95
-This link will take you directly to information on benders and bending.. check around and read in on these a little more if you wish, I know that you are already pretty far into your project...

All you would need to do is make some arms like these-
img0403a.jpg

And then use a ram like this.. it too has the air&hydraulic feature...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95967

With a coupon like this.. (I get tons of these links all the time, this one happens to have just expired sorry)
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...e&r=4275_282059&cust=78053362125&keycode=0000

*Sorry not trying to discourage you you are doing an awesome job! Just saying my opinion that I think you would have been much better off with making a bender like a ProTools 105 bender w/ the air/hydraulic setup (like in the attached pics VVVV

Attachments

• 2805890551_large.jpg
    2805890551_large.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6
  • TubeUnimog_017.jpg
    TubeUnimog_017.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 6
  • TubeUnimog_018.jpg
    TubeUnimog_018.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 6

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
I am actually looking at getting a bender like that because I might be getting it pretty cheap. I did the one I have in the writeup because I searched and searched and I never found non complicated plans. I really dont think anything is wrong with the hmp-200. Really about the only advantage I see is that you can bend 180* with the 105 and only 110* with the 200 so Im not worried.

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
Got almost everything done.

DSC01022.jpg

Ignore the small bend I put in the tube. I did a bend on it with my hf kinker when I was making my axle truss.
DSC01023.jpg

I did my first bend and I took it to max just to see how far it could go.
I need to do just a couple little things and it will be all done. Now I just need some tube!
If anybody has any questions pm me and I will be glad to help.

Here are pics of my new bender I bought that has a 1.75 die so now I can bend 1.5 in my hmp-200 and 1.75 in this one. Im stoked!

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01021.jpg

STAG

On my grind
That bottom on is pretty sweet where did you get it? .. the only thing I don't like about is is the ghetto-rigged looking front legs, and the fact that its vertical... makes it hard to bend long tubes...