grass tips?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm trying to figure out how to make my lawn nice. My front lawn is 2 years old and I laid the sod for the backyard last spring. Right now, the back is straw-yellow, and the front just looks like every other lawn that has been under snow for a few months.

I have a big vacant lot next to me, so weed control is somewhat of an issue. Oh, and I'm sure my soil sucks pretty bad too.

What do you recomend to keep the weeds out of my lawn and to make everything nice and green and healthy? I don't know anything about the different types of fertalizer.

Also, how often and how much do most people water? I was watering 2x's per week for about 25 minutes per time. Is that about right? I've heard that good healthy lawns don't have as much of an issue with weeds because they are thick and have good roots that don't allow other plants to take up shop.

thanks!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
The best my lawn ever looked was when I had truegreen chemlawn take care of it. It was alot of money though. I have had ok results using scotts fertilizers. They have a plan of when and what type of fertilizer to use on the back of their bags. After livng in my house for ten years though I usually just do a weed and feed in the spring and thats it since the more you feed it the more it needs mowed. The weeds I have the most is the morning glory which a product from IFA called 2-4-d is the only thing I have found to kill it. It takes a few treatments (couple years) to get it under control though.

Last edited:

Caleb

The cheapest with the best results is Scott's Turf Builder Plus 2 (make sure it has the Plus 2). If you use that every few weeks your grass will be as green as you would ever want it and it will be growing like no other. It also kills all the common lawn weeds. If you want to pay (which like Lewis said, it's expensive) you can pay a lawn service and they will do it for you.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Mine looked best when LawnTech came by 6x per year and made magic. :cool: It cost me over $400 per year though, so I stopped doing that. I think I'm going to try whatever the program is that IFA says to do, I think it's a different fertilizer each quarter or so.

sixb

Will work for beer!
The problem with feeding your lawn is it will grow and you will have to mow it twice a week. I have a sprinkler system but haven't used it in 2 years, I water by hand and have trained my lawn to live on very little water.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
x's 2 on the Scott's Turf Builder Plus 2. I used that last year and my lawn was better than it ever had been before. If you have not fertalized yet, do that asap. The very worst year I had with my lawn was when they said it was a drought rish, and asked people to please cut back on lawn water. I cut way back, kept mine semi dry trying to be the good water saver. It made my lawn week, and the weeds strong. It took a few years after that to get my lawn half healthy again.

Caleb

x's 2 on the Scott's Turf Builder Plus 2. I used that last year and my lawn was better than it ever had been before. If you have not fertalized yet, do that asap. The very worst year I had with my lawn was when they said it was a drought rish, and asked people to please cut back on lawn water. I cut way back, kept mine semi dry trying to be the good water saver. It made my lawn week, and the weeds strong. It took a few years after that to get my lawn half healthy again.
Yep, so many people say they have trained their lawns to live on just a little bit of water. Yet you compare their lawns to the neighbor next door that waters and fertilizes regularly and there is no comparison. The only thing that happens is you train your lawn to survive, not live. :) Lawn comes in many varieties, unless you have a breed of lawn that doesn't need a lot of water, you need to water regularly to have a good looking lawn.

R

rockdog

Give it plenty of water. Don't buy into the, it only needs a little water bs. If you don't have a sprinkler system, get one. It will be the best investment you ever make. And feed it twice a year. You'll have to cut it twice a week. But it will be plush.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Water...
Too much water = weak root system as it only has to go a little ways for the roots to get water
Too little water = weeds and death of grass and poor color.
Measure your water.. take a cup out there and figure out how long with your sprinklers or what ever you use it takes to get 1 inch of water.. give it that much 2X a week this is your starting point. after a week of watering like this walk on the lawn the day before you are going to water again if you leave tracks that are not coming back up you will need to increase your water amount. If you have lots of Clay in your soil you may need to water in 15 minute blocks with 15 minutes in between until you get to your 1 inch watering time (this allows the water to work its way down).

Fertilizer.. I get a good Weed and Feed type of product down now with Iron to help green everything up. then again at the end of May. After this any weeds that you have need to be killed individually as the weed and feed solutions don't help much any more.. I rarely fertilize from June on as you risk burning the lawn and giving it fertilizer at this point prompts it to grow faster and need more water. Then at the end of the season a good weed and feed product again with Iron to help it through the winter :)

- I detest Truegreen Chemlawn you can do the same as them for a lot cheaper and you won't have their bilge water sprayed on your lawn

R

rockdog

Water- I will stand by what I said. Give it plenty of water.;) Trust me. I take care of six acres of grass for a living.;)

RamIt

The cheapest with the best results is Scott's Turf Builder Plus 2 (make sure it has the Plus 2). If you use that every few weeks your grass will be as green as you would ever want it and it will be growing like no other. It also kills all the common lawn weeds.

Pick this stuff at Lowes / Home Depot I'm guessing?

Here's a sweet forum if ya wanna get real excited about your lawn! Lawn Cafe
Revive - I believe you can but it at Wal-Mart, home depot, lowes.. Get the granular, its better then the liquid IMO.. It really is some awesome stuff!

Aqua-Maxx looks pretty sweet too!

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
EDIT:
$15 at Lowes for the small bag (5000 sq ft)

Nice! Free legwork!

I'll have to pick up some of this on my way home and spread it out tonight.

does it also help to give the grass a good raking to get all of the old dead grass out of it?