4 Door Jeepster Commando Build

Swoop69

This is the official Build Thread for my 4 door Jeepster.

I have a build thread at the Jeepster Commando Club of America board. I will try to keep both updated....

http://jeepstercommandoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8732

I picked up my Junkster on saturday after letting it marinate on the farm for almost 3 years. it is a 67 with lots of rust and very few usable parts. I forgot just how rough this jeepster was. I will have a ton of spare parts, so if there is anything in particular you are looking for, let me know and I might have what you need. I am not 100% sure what I will use and what I will get rid of, but there will be a lot that needs to go.

My plan.....

I am going to take aprox 24 inches of frame out of the junkster and graft it into my other jeepster with Z cuts and fish plates.
I will add one set of body mounts to the frame somewhere in this new section.
I will cut out the door jams from the junkster, narrow them to the same length that I add to the frame, and "cut and paste" them into the jeepster body.
Then brace the floors and add sheetmetal to the new section.
I plan on using some 2x3 or 2x4 rectangle tube for rock sliders and to brace the tub.
I plan on adding a full 8 point cage, tied to the frame to help strengthen the frame.
2 bucket seats up front, 3 person bench in the second row, and the standard 2 person jeepster seat in the back (room for 7!!!).
2 inch boat roller body lift all the way around.

Drive train will be....
SBC 305/700r4/np241 with future plans of 383 stroker.
Waggy D44 front with Chevy spindles, Ford hubs and rotors, aprox 60 inches WMS to WMS, open carrier, 4.11 or 4.56 gears.
Scout D44 rear aprox 60 inches WMS to WMS, lock rite locker, 4.11 or 4.56 gears.
SOA lift with stock springs for now.
35 inch MTR's.

Yesterday I had the help of a few of my nephews, and we were able to tear the entire junkster apart. I did snap a few before pics and will post those soon. We were able to get the tub off of the frame without having to cut or torch any major componants. Several of the body mount nuts just spun, so those got torched, but that was about it.

here is a pic of the junkster when I got it...

junkster.jpg

This is what my jeepster looks like now...
Jeepster.jpg

Jeepster4.jpg

This is the look I am going for....
new.jpg

A few Pics of the tear down....

Junkster_200907.jpg

Junkster_2009071.jpg

Junkster_2009072.jpg

Junkster_2009073.jpg

Junkster_2009074.jpg

Junkster_2009075.jpg

Junkster_2009076.jpg

Junkster_2009079.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You could probably shave 6-10"?? off of the overall wheelbase by cutting out some body (see pic)

new.jpg

Swoop69

I dunno, that looks like it might be a photochop to me... -_-

new.jpg

yep, that one is photochopped, poorly photochopped. I dont know on the wheelbase, it will probably end up around 120. I am not going for the limo look, but I want to have enough room in front of the rear wheels to put a 3 person bench seat. I will start measuring and cutting up the old Junkster before I cut into the green one.

... or I could just start cutting and welding and see where it ends up (probably the scrap yard).

Last edited:

Swoop69

I made a little progress last night. I put the bench seat in to see how much room I will have and marked up the junkster for cuts. The seat is out of a 91 suburban, 3rd row seat. it fits so much better than I could have expected. The burbs are exactly 48" between wheel wells, same as the jeepster infront of the wheel wells. And the stock Jeepster seat between the wheel wells. I still have room behind the 3rd seat, but would like to make it easily removable for times when I dont need it, for more storage space.

I marked which side of the cut to keep, just in case I forget....

GettingReadytoChop.jpg

GettingReadytoChop1.jpg

GettingReadytoChop2.jpg

GettingReadytoChop3.jpg

Swoop69

I made some progress last night.... 3 cut off wheels and 2 sawzall blades later.... I got the drivers side door jam out, and most of the passengers side cut. Next I will work on replacing the rusted out sheet metal and narrowing the jams to the correct width. Anyone know what the width should be?

Cutting_in_halfLarge.jpg

Cutting_in_half5Large.jpg

Cutting_in_half6Large.jpg

Cutting_in_half8Large.jpg

Cutting_in_half10Large.jpg

Cutting_in_half11Large.jpg

Cutting_in_half12Large.jpg

Swoop69

Progress.....

First off, I have to thank my shop helpers....
JeepsterProgress.jpg

JeepsterProgress6.jpg

So I got the body completely cut in half and the door jambs out of both sides without destroying them. Then I removed the floor side body mounts....

JeepsterProgress1.jpg

JeepsterProgress2.jpg

Then I focused on the frame. I marked where I wanted to cut and used a 2x2 as a guide for the torch. I ended up cutting it a little bit big so that I can square up the ends on a chop saw.
JeepsterProgress3.jpg

JeepsterProgress4.jpg

Body mounts and my first cut... look what 40 years of dirt and garbage looks like inside the frame rails...
JeepsterProgress5.jpg

JeepsterProgress7.jpg

JeepsterProgress8.jpg

frame in two...
JeepsterProgress9.jpg

I ended up welding the shortend frame back together so that I can send it off to the scrap yard. Also it was good practice for when I do this for real. I will spend a lot more time measuring, squaring, and preping the material before I weld it. this was just a hack job... and I wanted to see what a jeepster looks like with a 70 inch wheelbase! :D
JeepsterProgress10.jpg

JeepsterProgress11.jpg

I put the body back on, again to take it to the scrap yard, and to make a clown car..... Anyone want to buy a clown car?
JeepsterProgress12.jpg

Swoop69

That's awesome. :)

Are the clown axles and suspension worth keeping/selling?

I dont think so. they are narrow track d27 front with drums and a splined d44 rear. the suspension is stock, and 40 years old. if someone was doing a resto, they might be worth something, but the junkyard will give me around $100 for the whole clown car.

if anyone wants stuff. let me know. I have the complete running buick 225, manual trans and transfer case that I pulled and might be selling.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I dont think so. they are narrow track d27 front with drums and a splined d44 rear.

My 73 Commando rear axle is a narrow track centered d44 with one piece axle shafts that they say will bolt right into a CJ. I plan on selling my Commando 44 since I picked up a 60 for it.

Swoop69

So I finished pulling all the useful stuff off of this junkster on saturday, and sent it on its way to the scrap yard. I probably wont get much done on this for a while, because I want to spend my time on my other jeepster, getting it on the road.

let me know if there is something you are looking for and I will see if I have a spare. I will post some more when I make some progress.