Bloomington Lake/Paris Ice Caves

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My family and I decided to go to Bloomington Lake on Friday. The lake itself was crowded, but still a ton of fun! We took the long way around to get there because I knew the Dodge would not make it up the switchbacks, but we came down them on the short ride home. The water was cold, but it felt really good with all the heat we've had lately. From the lake we headed North to the Paris Ice Caves and cooled off again :cool: On the trail we took to the ice caves there is a section called "Cowboys Nighmare" and my wife really hated it... It wasn't too bad :hickey: That part dropped us out in Paris Flats. Its a huge medow in Paris Valley.

Attachments

• Bloom 1.jpg
    Bloom 1.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 74
  • bloom 2.jpg
    bloom 2.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 64
  • bloom 3.jpg
    bloom 3.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 67
  • bloom 4.jpg
    bloom 4.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 74
  • bloom 5.jpg
    bloom 5.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 61
  • bloom 6.jpg
    bloom 6.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 60
  • bloom 7.jpg
    bloom 7.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 53
  • bloom 9.jpg
    bloom 9.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 83
  • bloom 8.jpg
    bloom 8.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There is another cavern inside of the obvious one that most people don't know about. It is completely dark aside from two rays of light one from the entrance and one from a small opening that leads to the top. Since I was young there has always been ice in here even in the heat of summer.

The route home is a strait shot to Lewiston, but it is very narrow and steep in one section. The view is of Preston Idaho, and the pic of the truck is halfway down the switch backs. Almost every time I drive down it an ATV'er will ask me if I'm lost because there is no way a truck will fit down this trail (even thought it is legal and the forest service trucks use it often). I always tell them its not too bad as long as I don't have to pass anyone! :ugh::rofl: Anyway my arm is still sore from my wife squeezing it :( again the trail is not too bad at all if you know what your doing.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• bloom 10.jpg
    bloom 10.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 61
  • bloom 11.jpg
    bloom 11.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 62
  • bloom 12.jpg
    bloom 12.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 58
  • bloom 13.jpg
    bloom 13.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 57
  • bloom 14.jpg
    bloom 14.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 46
  • bloom15.jpg
    bloom15.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 45
  • bloom 16.jpg
    bloom 16.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

rollover

Great pictures. I've been to both Bloomington Lake and Paris Ice cave many times.

Walking up to the Ice Cave you can feel the thermal temp changes as you enter the entrance.

crawldaddy

what! No rope swing pictures? We were up there Monday and had the lake all to ourselves. This is one of the more enjoyable outings that Ive had in a while. Next time I need to take my fishing pole, the fish were jumping everywhere.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
For all those interested how would you all feel about getting together and taking a trip there around September? I think it would be a riot to head up Providence then over to Franklin Basin, up Hull Valley then on to the route I took...

what! No rope swing pictures?

It was way too crowded to even get over there :( I've thought about it many times, but I think I'm too big of a whimp to try the swing :eek:

This looks great. PM directions? I have family in Richmond and get up there now and then.

Cool. I actually grew up in Richmond I probably know your family :greg:

I'll see what I can do for a map. I found the trail on Maps.Google but I'm still trying to figure out how to post it here... You basically start in Cub River/Mapleton ID. and make your way up the canyon at the fork head towards the scout camp and Mink Creek then up to Paris.

Last edited:

Mope

They are in the mountains between Preston, and Bear Lake. The easy way up is the bear lake side, where the harder way up is from the preston side.

Snuggles84041

Are the Paris Ice Caves right near there? How do i get to the caves from the lake? Thank you for your help, I live in Layton and dont really know where to go to get out and have jeep around.

Mope

If you follow paris canyon road up from bear lake side you can get to it. It's a real easy going road. A bit more to it coming up from preston side. The only way to get there right now it snow mobile like was mentioned above.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
from the bear lake side how rough is the road aka would you drive it in a car? going to bear lake today after work and would like to check out the lake

thanks

p.s. is there a hike to the lake from the end of the road?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
yeah, i already went up there in my car on saturday. that is a cool little lake! when we got there at around 10 there was only a small scout troop and no one had even done the rope swing yet so we busted it out. for over an hour no one else showed up but around noon it started to get really crowded. i must've done the swing 25-30 times