RME Dual Sport ride, Kokopelli trail

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Lets put together a big dual sport ride for next month. :D Here's the plan-

When? Saturday, Sept 19th, 8 AM.

Where? Start in Loma, CO and end in Moab, UT.

Who? At least Intermediate-level riders with reliable bikes. Limit of 10 riders.

What? The Kokopelli Trail, 150 miles of amazing scenery and riding.

We'll leave from the Kokopelli trail head in Loma, CO in the morning. The Kokopelli is quite challenging in spots, much of it is a mix of 2 track roads and single track that ranges from smooth to rocky, with ledges tossed in to keep you on your toes. The most difficult part of the Kokopelli trail is Rose Garden Hill, some large ledges, loose rocks and a steep, long hill. It would be a full day of riding with a good deal of elevation changes. Towards the end of the ride we will climb near 9,000 ft high as we pass the La Sal mountains, so come prepared with a jacket.

Plan ahead and pack some trail snacks, plenty of water and something to eat for lunch. There are no services along the way, so bring what you need to be self-sufficient.

I realize some bikes may not be able to make the 150 mile ride with one tank of fuel, so we will have to plan for that. We could probably arrange to have my wife meet us at the Dewey Bridge mid-way thru the day to refuel.

The trail will take us into Moab by way of the Sand Flats road. I think it would be fun to share a campground that night and do a smaller ride in Moab on Sunday, before heading home.

Bikes should be plated, as there will be sections of pavement that we will be riding. There isn't too much road driving and most of it will be rural roads, until we get into Moab.

Some teaser pics...

391649471_fVrgo-M.jpg

391642741_DMwiK-M.jpg

So who's game??

rholbrook

I have a street legal licensed WR450 but I am concerned about the mileage(distance) because I have the stock tank. I would really like to go but I don't want to put an ugly, bulky tank on it to make the trip. I guess I could swap out water for gas in my camelback.

Greg

Admin
Sounds like a blast :greg:

I'm just short a motorcycle. :-\

You've got 4 weeks, start looking! :p

Doh!

I'm doing a Wilerness First Aid Class that day. Excited to hear your reports though!

:( We need to get together for a ride this Fall, something desert-ish that covers lots of miles.

me and my brother would be interested provided i get my bike legal before that

Sounds good, what are you riding?

I have a street legal licensed WR450 but I am concerned about the mileage(distance) because I have the stock tank. I would really like to go but I don't want to put an ugly, bulky tank on it to make the trip. I guess I could swap out water for gas in my camelback.

How many miles do you get out of a full tank? My wife is willing to meet us 1/2 way thru the trail to fill low tanks. As long as you have 100 miles range, you should be fine.

I wouldn't put gas in a camelback... :rofl: You will want water and I don't think the plastic bladder will handle gas too well.

I don't know if you have anywhere to secure a small canister, but I had 2 large MSR camping fuel canisters on my old DR. Together I added 1/2 gallon more.-

391627500_ed2KR-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
The question has been raised about getting back to Loma. There are a couple options, depending on what we want to do.

#1- Bring someone along that can drive your vehicle to Moab.

#2- Ride back to Loma from Moab, taking a quicker & easier route than the Kokopelli. We would leave from Moab going North, then turn up Hwy 128 and follow the Kokopelli and the Colorado River back to Rabbit Valley. We'd end up doing about 30% of the Kokopelli on the way back. Should take about 3 hrs from Moab to Loma.

#3- Ride back to Loma from Moab, heading back up Sand Flats Road to the La Sals, heading East over to Gateway by way of John Brown Canyon. From Gateway head up Sheep Creek Road into the Dolores Triangle. Ride to Glade Park, then down into the Colorado Monument and over to Loma. Would be about a 6 hr ride and quite challenging in spots. Sheep Creek Rd is very steep, with lots of switchbacks.

I'd suggest #2, easiest and quick. I'd be more than willing to ride back that way.

74highboy

my brother has an 05 crf450x im looking for a crf450x after taking his for a ride the other night ill probly have one by the end of the week just need to start looking for a street legal kit as soon as i know what year im going to get

rholbrook

my brother has an 05 crf450x im looking for a crf450x after taking his for a ride the other night ill probly have one by the end of the week just need to start looking for a street legal kit as soon as i know what year im going to get

The street legal kit is a must and it really doesn't matter what year it is because they are the same. The stuff you need can be obtained by calling Roy Jenkins at 801-643-3440 He lives in Kaysville and sells these things to several motorcycle shops around and on eBay. I know that Full Throttle in Centerville sells them. The kit comes with a horn and button, light switches if you need them, and brake light switch. Every county is different so you may need turn signals but Roy has that covered with some really cool signals that won't get broken if you end up on the ground.

I also think you need to consider the KDX450 and the WR450 in your searches as well. I have a WR450 and if I was to do it again, I would get the KDX and put KX cams in it. I have a friend that is selling his KTM if you interested I can get you his number.

rholbrook

I honestly don't know what my range is. Maybe I could check that this week. I am considering selling my WR because I don't ride it enough but if I have it still, I would like to come.

Greg

Admin
I honestly don't know what my range is. Maybe I could check that this week. I am considering selling my WR because I don't ride it enough but if I have it still, I would like to come.

How many gallons does the stock tank hold? I think my WR400 held just under 2.5 gallons. Most dual-sports get about 50 MPG if you're not yanking on the throttle or running at top speed. I'd think you easily get 100 miles out of the stock setup, so you ought to be good.

I hate to hear about someone selling their bike because they don't ride it... you best hang onto it and make this ride, and future rides. ;)

74highboy

i do like the ktm's it will be nice haven a bike again i sold my yz250 that i built to buy my ex wife a car about a year or 2 ago

Corban_White

The safety inspection requirements for street legal dirt bikes are set by the UHP and are the same for the entire state of utah. Below are the requirements for anyone interested:

A. Two Wheel Dirt Bikes​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]
1. Two wheel dirt bikes may be inspected provided that they have been modified to be street legal. They shall be equipped with the following items, which shall comply with the regulations of the department (UCA 41-6a-1506).
a. One head lamp which, when factory equipped with an automatic lighting ignition system, shall not be disconnected.
b. One tail lamp.
c. Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp which shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate.
d. One red reflector on the rear, either as part of the tail lamp or separately.
e. One stop lamp.
f. A braking system, other than a parking brake, as provided in UCA 41-6a-1623.
g. A horn or warning device in accordance with UCA 41-6a-1625.
h. A muffler and emission control system in accordance with UCA 41-6a-1626.
i. A mirror in accordance with UCA 41-6a-1627.​
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]Motorcycle Safety Inspection Manual, Effective January 1, 2009 28

[/FONT]
TW0 WHEEL DIRT BIKES - Continued​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]
j. Tires must be highway approved in accordance with UCA 41-6a-1636.
k. Non-metal gas tanks are acceptable.
l. Working odometers, although not a safety inspection requirement, are nevertheless required on all vehicles in order to be registered in the state of Utah. (UCA 41-1a-901 Odometers required)
m. Equipped with turn signals if manufactured after January 1, 1973 (49 CFR 571.108), (UCA 41-6a-1601(2)(a)).
a)​
[/FONT]REJECT [FONT=Arial,Arial]when:

1) Any of the above requirements are not met.

Source
[/FONT]