Mashed Potato-NEW TRAIL in MOAB!

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
A group of locals, mostly made up of those crazy Samurai's posted trail signs and officially marked our "new" trail in Moab called Mashed Potato. This trail had been a motorcycle route but the BLM opened it to 4 Wheel Drive. Hurrah for new trails!

We installed a sign at the entrance and exit of the trail. You can find this trail by following the 3-D route. It is up and near the airport, north of Moab. If you want specifics, let me know and I will get them for you.
After placing the signs, we moved on to the main obstacle called the Gravy Boat.

Here’s some fun Gravy Boat action. Gary Lee wanted to pick a more extreme line. Jim went through first though, fully loaded with all the implements of heavy construction and the sign for the other end of the trail sticking out the back.

Now, Gary Lee wanted to see if Over-EZ would climb it or fulfill its name and flip.

Whew! It was close but by this point, Gary Lee is ready to give a big thumbs up. After Susan’s shaky thumb action on Widowmaker a few weeks ago (not sure if she wanted to stick it out or suck it), its become the new poser shot for the paparazzi’s camera.

Next came DeVon. This tub is small and DeVon’s long Jeep took a bit of manipulation to get lined up. Another nice poser shot!

And, he made it up too!

Susan’s thumb’s not so shaky on this one. Guess she figured Jeff wasn’t about to add another band-aid to Drtsqrl’s hood today after his flop on Widowmaker. Yes, she was riding along, not driving……

After we got to the other end, we had a casualty. LARRY! Might be hard to see but that’s a broken axle stub shaft, “look ma, no ears”!

So, Larry went around on 3-D while the rest of the group went backwards on Mashed Potato. Gary Lee had noted that he’d never seen anyone do the Gravy Boat backwards. So………here we go Jim!

That’s steep stuff! Careful now, make that turn without tipping!

Okay Jim, now you’re just showing off!

Go Gary Lee! No problem! Jeff went through so fast I didn’t get a photo.

But, I did get another poser shot!

BEAUTIFUL trail day! Wanna Jeep in Moab? Come on out and join us! www.webejeepinmoab.com

See ya on the trail! :p
Melissa

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!! I really need to find a job down there so I can go play with you guys.

No kidding. I've been looking and waiting for years and years.

Thanks for report and for posting up the signs! You guys & gals are awesome!

1995zj

I'm addicted
That looks like quite the good time! It's always GREAT news to hear of new trails being opened.....now just to keep this open and not trash it like many other trails.

Curious though, what would this be rated? From that obstacle it looks along the lines of Poison Spider or Hells Revenge...?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
That looks like quite the good time! It's always GREAT news to hear of new trails being opened.....now just to keep this open and not trash it like many other trails.

Curious though, what would this be rated? From that obstacle it looks along the lines of Poison Spider or Hells Revenge...?

Yeah, it's pretty much the same rating as Poison Spider IMO. The Gravy Boat can be a bit harder if its full of "gravy", but there is an easy bypass. We usually run it in conjunction with the Pickle, which makes for a nice combination.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Very Cool, DeVon is a really good friend of mine, been wheeling with him and Marleen for over a decade. Im starting to think he likes getting tippie.

Looks like an awesome trail. cant wait to get down there.

Attachments

• 100_4308.jpg
    100_4308.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 44

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Nice, finally something fun around 3D. I ran 3D for the EJS a few years ago and it was borring except for one hill and one stop with a nice view.

3D's boring if your looking for a challenging trail, but I enjoy it if im just in the mood for a relaxing trail ride with awesome views. good trail if your in a stock rig.

CJ Matt

Yeah, it's pretty much the same rating as Poison Spider IMO. The Gravy Boat can be a bit harder if its full of "gravy", but there is an easy bypass. We usually run it in conjunction with the Pickle, which makes for a nice combination.

I ran it earlier this year in conjunction with the Pickle. It was a great day. Mashed Potato was easy with the only hard part being the Gravy Boat which had gravy in it at that time.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Dan Mick took a group of Grand Cherokees 4 or 5 years ago......so how many other of these trails do you guys know of but haven't spilled the beans on yet? ;)

I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way.

Kirk

We followed some locals to this area after the Pickle last year. We had a hard time finding the trail markers, and was never really sure we were on the right trail. I think we must have missed most of the good parts, because I ended up thinking it was a big waste of time. Is this an actual trail with a designated route, or just an open play area?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Mashed potato is more of a play area like little moab rather than a "trail" per say, right?

There are no "play areas" anymore, unless it is in an "open" area such as White Wash sand dunes.

Mashed Potatoes has been a little-used, poorly marked trail for years. When the new RMP came out, it was designated as single track motorized. MFFW was recently successfull in getting it changed to allow all motorized travel.

We just installed trail signs at each end, and the route is marked with green paint. It is mostly uneven, gray slickrock (looks sorta like lumpy mashed spuds, hence the name).

As always, please stay on the marked/designated route when running this or any other trail.