8.1 Vortec YJ

markegbert

markegbert
8.1 vortec yj

i am starting a new jeep and thought you guys might give me any pointers. here is the list of things i have done so far.

1989 yj
2002 8.1 vortec
2001 f450 axles, dana 60/80 4.88 gears, lockers still undecided
42" iroks
17x9 mrw beadlocks
rci 15 gallon cell, in bed
4.3 atlas w/1410 yokes
built th350 trany
full hydro steeing, most parts psc
2" lift yj leafs, spring under w/ u-bolt flip
warn 9000 winch
no windshield

still to do-

110" wheel base
build fastback style cage
1410 drive lines w/.5 wall
build front fenders
new diff covers
35 spline front outers
track bar

i have it all torn down. next week it should be a roller.

Bart

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a project I've been contemplating for a little while. Post up the build for sure.

markegbert

markegbert
i bought the jeep with the motor and trans in it. it had like a 8 inch lift and 37 bfg's and all the bolt on stuff you could imagine.

Spidey

8.1 vortec yj

i am starting a new jeep and thought you guys might give me any pointers.

Just remember, before you go to the trouble of building the cage, double check yourself, make sure that your body is exactly how you will want it down the road, i.e. ,build higher fender wells in the rear, or stretch the tub, etc. And, with all that power i'd say 4-link the rear. It will pay off in the long run. Leaf sprung rears make me cringe.
Cool build, keep up the good work. Excited to see where this goes.

markegbert

markegbert
just got all my brackets and bushings for my suspension today. all are from diy4x.com. they where cheaper than blue torch and ballistic and made me the custom size perches and spring plates i needed. here is my idea for a cross member, 2x2 tube with bushing on the end. my friend did it and it works for him. took the shocks off the jeep, they might be the right length.

Attachments

• Photo0122.jpg
    Photo0122.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo0121.jpg
    Photo0121.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo0127_1.jpg
    Photo0127_1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 19

markegbert

markegbert
i notched the bottom of the front 60 so i could mount my spring under spring perch on the pumpkin. diy4x made me the perch to fit the right height and 4 1/4 tube. the other perch is a standard 60 perch.

Attachments

• Photo0125_1.jpg
    Photo0125_1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo0123_1.jpg
    Photo0123_1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 21
Mucho less flex too. Not as much droop, and with 2" of lift and 42" tires, not only no fenders, but no hood either if there is to be any up travel at all...those big axles will barely be off the bumpstops. My sis has a 3" SU lift on her YJ and it fits 33's nicely...can't imagine 42's without making a way for them to work.

Likewise, with 110" wheelbase at that height, even with 42's, there needs to be mucho skidplating. I assume the Atlas will be flat.

What am I missing? This seems like an otherwise well thought out rig. I really like minimal lift, mine started out that way, and grew only when I scraped on "typical" ledges. It is now, however, about 2" too high (combination of actual body mounts and 40's vs smallish 38's)