Project Built for Towing

Does anyone want to see a project like this?

• Total voters

LT.

Hey y'all I am thinking about starting a project code named Built for Towing (BFT). My first question is would the members of RME be interested in a project like this? I know this is a rock crawling forum and is geared toward such but, I was thinking about the tools and equipment we use to get our toys to the trails. This project is nothing too extreme and will be built using a truck that some already have or can get. This is more my cup of tea and I was hoping that I could give the RME folks some tools and ideas for their own rigs. I will go beyond programers and into some real world bolt ons if there is any interested. Would there be any interest here?

LT.

LT.

I will start off with the basics. Addressing air intakes, exhaust, and a mild programmer. I will actually go ahead a purchase a new programmer as I usually write my own programs. I will see if I can find some of my old archived articles I have written for other Diesel performance sites and re-write them for this site. Then I will start to address towing equipment and the proper use of these items.

I know that not everyone will want to take the same steps that I will and that is okay. This will just be a general article to help address some of the wants and needs of the normal user. I will get started right away.

I hope towards the end of this article to go a little deeper into Diesel performance with twin turbos, modified fuel pump or pumps, injectors and maybe even wheel and tire choices. I will have to use the truck I already have in the stable as a test mule since I really don't have the funds to purchase another truck to start with. I hope this is okay with the RME faithful.

LT.

Last edited:

sixb

Will work for beer!
Well your already starting out with a fire breathing monster, I think you should start out with somthing stock and cheap, maybe someone on RME can let you use one of there extra trucks to build. I have 2 you could choose from both stock and both cheap diesels:greg:

Attachments

• Picture%20224.jpg
    Picture%20224.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 41
  • HPIM2492.jpg
    HPIM2492.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 44

LT.

Well your already starting out with a fire breathing monster, I think you should start out with somthing stock and cheap, maybe someone on RME can let you use one of there extra trucks to build. I have 2 you could choose from both stock and both cheap diesels:greg:

Just last week I changed my truck back to stock as I was looking at a brand new Ford F-450 King Ranch. Now it is time to put all the performance modifications back on to Sally. This is what spawned this idea.

I am liking your thinking. Your first Gen Dodge Cummins would be a great place to start. Would you be willing to front the funds for the modifications as well? No labor charge just parts. If you are, I might be willing to pick up your truck and start the modifications you would want. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss it further.

LT.

sixb

Will work for beer!
You don't want to try and get 500 ponies out of that 6.2 it's only got 61k on it:D
Actually I might try and build one of these into a truggy when I'm done with my cummins powered k5:D

LT.

You don't want to try and get 500 ponies out of that 6.2 it's only got 61k on it:D
Actually I might try and build one of these into a truggy when I'm done with my cummins powered k5:D

The 6.2 Chevy is going to be a tough one to get 500 hp out of at least, not without a motor swap. The 6.2 liter is a good motor that has been mis-understood for a long time. Gutless, but very long lasting if taken care of properly. It may be interesting to see just what kind of power the little 6.2 can give.

LT.

LT.

Today is the day I admit that I am not as smart as I thought I was. I just picked up an aftermarket programmer that does a better job than I could do. I used to write my own programs but, no more. This little sucker does a better job than I could have. It gives me just about as much power as I had but with much less smoke out of the tail pipes. This tells me that I did not have the timing correct or I was dumping too much fuel into the cylinders.

Also, here is the web site that turned me on to this company.http://www.madselectronics.com/

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 33

LT.

I spent all day hauling totaled vehicles to Capitol Scrap Metal while using the Smarty. As soon as my wife shows me how to get the photos off of my cell phone and onto the computer I will post up some pictures of the loads. I will also explain what is wrong with each load and what is done right on each load. If anyone else has things to say about what is done right or wrong with each please comment on each.

LT.

LT.

WHAT!!!!?!?!?!?!?!!? more smoke doesn't equal more power?!?!?!???? That is absurd!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

To some point it does but not the way I had it. I had thought I knew what i was doing. After using the Smarty today I now know my limits. This downloader was able to give me more useable power where it was needed and less smoke doing it.

LT.

LT.

Okay, here are the promised pictures. The first two pictures on the left also go with the shackle angle of the third picture. The third picture goes with the shackle picture on the right or forth picture. The shackle angle picture on the right shows the front of the trailer too low. The trailer load was too far to the front. This is the load with the blue Chevy on it. We ran out of room on the trailer and could not get the load far enough back. The second load with the light blue Toyota and the Red Volkswagen was weighted correctly but it was a little high. We also had the cars on the trailer too far to one side, as shown in the first picture. Oddly enough the two cars weighed more than the trucks. Even though the trucks had many, many fly wheels and brake rotors inside the cabs. I'll let y'all guess how much each load weighed.

LT.

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpeg
    mail.google.com.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 422
  • mail.google.com2.jpeg
    mail.google.com2.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 421
  • mail.google.com3.jpeg
    mail.google.com3.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 423
  • mail.google.com4.jpeg
    mail.google.com4.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 421
  • mail.google.com5.jpeg
    mail.google.com5.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 422
  • mail.google.com6.jpeg
    mail.google.com6.jpeg
    3.8 KB · Views: 424
  • mail.google.com7.jpeg
    mail.google.com7.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

LT.

I did some more hauling today and gave an old favorite another try. The Quadzilla Boost Fooler is a fantastic product for those of y'all who are looking for a little extra but, don't want to spend a lot of money. Here is the site: http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/index.cfm/p/Boost-Fooler-98-09-Dodge

This little sucker was good for about 7 lbs of boost and it did help the EGT's run just a tick cooler. I was able to see about 50 to 100 degrees less than I did before. Here is a short video of the install. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tchdjQne6bA

It was a good product that was well worth the $80.00 it cost me.

LT.