San Rafael Swell Nov 09

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been looking forward to this one for awhile now and when my friend Kevin said he wanted to go (I ride solo 99.9% of the time) I knew it was going to be good. We met up with several people from ExpeditionUtah and Wasach Cruisers (correct me if I left anyone out) for a run through the San Rafael Swell as part of the Cruiser Outfitter's "costomer appreciation run". We spent two nights with the group then later the two of us set out for a hike up Little Wild Horse as well as the Ding and Dang slot canyons then camping that night as well.

It was non stop fun from the time we left Friday. We hit the road in the Rot Box and I soon realized that Sardine Canyon and 37's don't mix, but I am more than used to the 45MPH assault--Freeway it was 70-75mph which more than exceeded my expectations :greg:

Here is a list of things I learned.

80 Series Cruisers blow me away with their unsurpassed luxury and capability. There was one black 80 in particular that literally made my jaw drop.

Pie Irons are by far the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. Both Kevin and I were completely amazed at their ability to cook almost anything and you don't have to worry about your propane freezing solid. I have been living in the dark until today when I bought one at Cabela's

Iron Pie ... um Irons are far superior to any metal including... Ahem... aluminum Shhhh!!! :rofl:

You can spend 3 days camping with a group of people in cold temperatures well below freezing and not hear a single complaint. It was truly sur-real.

Lewis's Tacoma is even better looking in person.

Passing on bringing the RTT is never a good idea.

If you can't find Dang keep looking! It is by far the coolest slot down there.

Never pass up an opportunity to get out and tour the swell :greg:

Attachments

• a swell 02.jpg
    a swell 02.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 84
  • a swell 03.jpg
    a swell 03.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 64
  • a swell 4.jpg
    a swell 4.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 85
  • a swell 5.jpg
    a swell 5.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 63
  • a swell 6.jpg
    a swell 6.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 71
  • a swell 7.jpg
    a swell 7.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 94
  • a swell 08.jpg
    a swell 08.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 59
  • a swell 9.jpg
    a swell 9.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 80
  • a swell 10.jpg
    a swell 10.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks again to everyone that was a part of this trip your hospitality was unbelievable and making us feel welcome was very much appreciated :D

Andrew

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Look at it this way, if bacon means as much to you as it should any true man, you won't even consider anything but cast iron. For the hardest of hardcore, you roll double wide style.. Like me.

It was nice meeting you and Kevin.

I dig your truck ;)

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
It was one of the funnest little adventure's I've been on. Thanks to all that made it happen and make it one of my favorite B-day's I've had:) I hope I wasn't to big of a pain and Andrew will invite me on more. Haha (this is kevin BTW):D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Glad you were able to make it Kevin, pleasure meeting you!

However, before you can come out again. Iron or aluminum?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Haha, iron vs aluminum. How about camp shower vs no camp shower?

Apples and oranges. Both aluminum and iron will cook a meal, however iron does it better, faster & harder (SLC Punk reference). No shower is not a viable option in all situations. Wet nap showers don't do the trick for me ;)

PS you have begged for a chance to bask in the warm water. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Blah, blah, blah. Bolstered results by some glamper to give the Aluminum even the slightest chance of hanging with the iron.

Some real links from the pro's
http://www.romeindustries.com/proscons.htm
(I guess even Rome had to sell out a bit and build aluminum pie cookers for the upswing in the glamping demographic)

The next iron I buy:
http://www.romeindustries.com/1905big.htm

This one would be cool too:
http://www.romeindustries.com/1505big.htm
(not for the pre-grill mark meat product crowd, ie Cody)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
It was a pleasure to meet you guy's and chat around the fire.

I have an inexpensive cast iron pie iron so I had PI envy and didnt bring it out ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Being the only person here to have owned and operated both cast iron and cast aluminum pie irons, I believe I am the only person with the requisit experience necessary to form an educated opinion.

I'll take my cast aluminum pie iron any day. All of this nonsense is just proof of the jealousy that you all harbor for my technologically superior pie cooking apparatus.

In fact, I'm going to buy an aluminum Dutch Oven just to piss you guys off.

That brat cooker is bitchin though.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I've been looking forward to this one for awhile now and when my friend Kevin said he wanted to go (I ride solo 99.9% of the time) I knew it was going to be good. We met up with several people from ExpeditionUtah and Wasach Cruisers (correct me if I left anyone out) for a run through the San Rafael Swell as part of the Cruiser Outfitter's "costomer appreciation run". We spent two nights with the group then later the two of us set out for a hike up Little Wild Horse as well as the Ding and Dang slot canyons then camping that night as well.

It was non stop fun from the time we left Friday. We hit the road in the Rot Box and I soon realized that Sardine Canyon and 37's don't mix, but I am more than used to the 45MPH assault--Freeway it was 70-75mph which more than exceeded my expectations :greg:

Here is a list of things I learned.

80 Series Cruisers blow me away with their unsurpassed luxury and capability. There was one black 80 in particular that literally made my jaw drop.

Pie Irons are by far the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. Both Kevin and I were completely amazed at their ability to cook almost anything and you don't have to worry about your propane freezing solid. I have been living in the dark until today when I bought one at Cabela's

Iron Pie ... um Irons are far superior to any metal including... Ahem... aluminum Shhhh!!! :rofl:

You can spend 3 days camping with a group of people in cold temperatures well below freezing and not hear a single complaint. It was truly sur-real.

Lewis's Tacoma is even better looking in person.

Passing on bringing the RTT is never a good idea.

If you can't find Dang keep looking! It is by far the coolest slot down there.

Never pass up an opportunity to get out and tour the swell :greg:

If you think Dang is the coolest you should try lower black box.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Being the only person here to have owned and operated both cast iron and cast aluminum pie irons, I believe I am the only person with the requisit experience necessary to form an educated opinion.

Richard has both... and remind me what he said.

I'll take my cast aluminum pie iron any day. All of this nonsense is just proof of the jealousy that you all harbor for my technologically superior pie cooking apparatus.

Hey pal, even the manufacture warns against the aluminum ones. Get em in the coals and they will melt like butter :D

In fact, I'm going to buy an aluminum Dutch Oven just to piss you guys off.

Glamper.com has a special on them, even comes stained & scratched as if its seen years of use.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Funny, I've been cooking over the fire and in the coals with my aluminum pie machines for years.....they still are here.

LBB is a good time. I was hoping to get to Upper this year but never had the time.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust

Cody mentioned it on our trip and it sounds like a really good time. I'll have to put that one on the to do list :D As far as the Swell goes I'm still just scratching the surface--can't wait to get back!