Chevy 4.3

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Anyone here ever build one up? I have one in my 93 S10. I have been reading that they are killer motors to build.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I owned one.. nice little motor.

It's effectively a 350 minus two holes. Decent aftermarket support, and a variety of options. Light weight, fairly efficient, and not as generic as some other options.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I was looking at putting one in that fj40.. apparently there were some running design changes that are worth watching out for, but in general they're pretty cool. Turbos make them REALLY cool.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I was looking at putting one in that fj40.. apparently there were some running design changes that are worth watching out for, but in general they're pretty cool. Turbos make them REALLY cool.

Yep, and mine produces 200 hp and 260 ft lbs torque stock. :D

I read an article where one guy was kicking out 300 hp and 350 tq.. whoa...

utah340six

installed 03 4.3 in my jeep love the little light motor.
Works great.
here is what i found on hp for these engines
second-gen Chevy 4.3-liter V6 producing 190 horsepower and 250 pound-feet of torque.
The original Chevrolet S-10 Blazer was produced from 1983 to 1994.
1988 when it gained an optional 4.3-liter V6 with 160 hp.
1991 when an optional "Enhanced" version of the V6 engine that brought horsepower to 200.

richpblaze

I believe

Yours puts out 165 hp stock I have the high output which puts out 195 hp stock. From the research I did when doing this swap the eighth letter in the vin will tell you wich one you have, if its a "W" you have a 195 hp. They came in the Envoy and some of the half ton trucks. If I had to do over I would go with the V-8. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of hp, its the sound I want. I will be swapping out for an LS2 sooner or later.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Mine is the 1993 Vortec with the CPFI.

First generation engines

* 1983-1985 - 1.9 L Isuzu I4, 2-bbl, 84 hp (63 kW)/101 lb·ft (137 N·m) (California)

* 1983-1984 - 2.0 L OHV I4, 2-bbl, 83 hp (62 kW)/108 lb·ft (146 N·m)

* 1983-1985 - 2.2 L Isuzu diesel I4, 58 hp (43 kW)/93 lb·ft (126 N·m)

* 1983-1985 - 2.8 L (173 cu in) LR2 V6, 2-bbl, 110 hp (82 kW)/148 lb·ft (201 N·m) (VIN B)

* 1985-1987 - 2.5 L (151 cu in) Iron Duke I4, TBI, 92 hp (69 kW)/132 lb·ft (179 N·m) (VIN E)

* 1986-1993 - 2.8 L (173 cu in) LL2 V6, TBI, 125 hp (93 kW)/150 lb·ft (203 N·m) (VIN R)

* 1988-1992 - 4.3 L (262 cu in) LB4 V6, TBI, 160 hp (119 kW)/230 lb·ft (312 N·m) (VIN Z)

* 1992-1994 - 4.3 L (262 cu in) Vortec 4300 L35 V6, CPFI, 200 hp (149 kW)/260 lb·ft (353 N·m) (VIN W)

* 1993-1994 - 4.3 L (262 cu in) LB4 V6, TBI, 165 hp (123 kW)/235 lb·ft (319 N·m) (VIN Z)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Don't forget the TPI Turbo 4.3's found in the Syclone/Typhoons. I was big into the S10/Sonoma thing awhile back and it has been my dream to own a Syclone. Being AWD and having an air to water intercooler these things haul stock and with a few modifications they really put down the power. There have been 4.3's well into the 500+hp range. I guess it doesn't do much good for someone looking to build their own 4.3 but it shows what they are capable of and known for.

http://www.syty.org/old/faq.html

http://www.syty.org/

0-60 in 4.6 seconds... in the rain :greg: Up until the Viper v10 powered Dodge they were the quickest production truck beating the Lightnings, and the 5.9 Dakota's.

Caleb

I had one in my buggy and was always wanting a bit more power. After trying to find all the ways possible (bore kit, turbos, super chargers, etc) to gain more power, I came to the conclusion it's cheaper and easier to to go to a SBC and build it. As mentioned, since they are essentially a SBC that's missing two cylinders, just about all the accessories that fit the SBC will also fit the 4.3.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Shawn,
is your engine the one that looks like a little tpi motor? or the one that looks more like a throttle body with the internal "spider"? I probably have some spare parts either way. let me know.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I had one in my buggy and was always wanting a bit more power. After trying to find all the ways possible (bore kit, turbos, super chargers, etc) to gain more power, I came to the conclusion it's cheaper and easier to to go to a SBC and build it. As mentioned, since they are essentially a SBC that's missing two cylinders, just about all the accessories that fit the SBC will also fit the 4.3.

Refresh my memory, but didn't that buggy also have kind of a power-sucking drivetrain?? Trans and Doubler I mean-- pretty notable parasitic loss on those.

As you know though, I like 454s. :).

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Shawn,
is your engine the one that looks like a little tpi motor? or the one that looks more like a throttle body with the internal "spider"? I probably have some spare parts either way. let me know.

Mine has the spider injection.

Trust me, I would rather go with a 350 but I need the entire car/truck so I can swap all the computer, harness and smog shet. I just happen to have a 4.3 that was free.

My 4.2 is a killer motor, 4.0 head swap, high compression pistons, built. It just doesn't have the power I like. My 4.3 is fast, powerful and come with a 700R4 :D

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
And to make it Holocaust proof... Go find a marine block, typically can be found cheap, as most reputable boat shops replace long block under Mercury warranty or w/o waranty.. either way a person can find a marine block, and then said person should use the internals from the marine block for their build. ESPECIALLY if you are gonna tweak it a touch.

Full roller motors, the absolute best bearings out there, I think my buddy (he just put a marine 4.3 in his s-10, he works at a boat shop- he used the marine internals in the factory block... ) said the overall weight increase of the internals due to pure beefier construction is 63pounds... could be off on that number.

And lets face it your 4.3, my 460, Tacoma's 454, ad nauseam, they were designed to operate at 1800 or so rpm all day long...

A boat motor is designed to operate at WOT/5000 rpm all day longt, so logically heavier and tougher built.