My Alaskan Camper

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
When my buddy told me their family had an Alaskan Camper a few months ago I spent every day hitting him up about selling it ever since. A few days ago he finally said they had no use for it and would sell it with one condition... I had to take the truck too. When he said they would let both go for well under 1k I knew it had to be a total pile or they were crazy.

Long story short an uncle bought it and the truck brand new and it was passed down to my friends dad. He drove it to Alaska many times and to Pittsburg many times as well. He ordered the truck custom and it has every option (including AC) avalible expcept for power windows. Reciepts, records a million gizmo's and gadgets--I can tell that this was really cared for at one time.

It is not in perfect shape but it is much better condition than any Alaskan I've ever seen these years. It is the very rare fiberglass model, and everything inside works with no leaks or water damage at all. The hydrolic rams are leaking a bit from old age but it still raises and lowers great!

Anyway I have wanted one of these forever. I plan to put it on my crew cab, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get it on there yet--its HEAVY! These are so cool and functional and I hope to get a lot of uses out of it this summer :cool:

I'll post up pics as I get it cleaned out and upgraded.

Attachments

• alaskan 1.jpg
    alaskan 1.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 129
  • alaskan 2.jpg
    alaskan 2.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 114
  • alaskan 3.jpg
    alaskan 3.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 145
  • alaskan 4.jpg
    alaskan 4.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 109
  • alaskan 5.jpg
    alaskan 5.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 109
  • alaskan 6.jpg
    alaskan 6.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 102
  • alaskan 7.jpg
    alaskan 7.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 98
  • alaskan 8.jpg
    alaskan 8.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I started cleaning it and I found a gold mine. All the factory sales receipts and brochures for the truck and the camper are all here along with the factory service/repair manuals for the truck $$$. It is really cool going through all the old stuff inside--its like a time warp :cool:

Leave it on the truck and bring it on the Relic Run! :cool:

It would be very appropriate for the theme that's for sure :D Not 4wd but it does have the posi trac rear end.

So, excuse my ignorance, but why is this more desirable than any other kind of camper?

Mostly because of this (see pic below) :D And they are built like a brick s&%t house so they are well suited for offroad use and other situations where you would likely damage a normal camper.

Attachments

• alaskan 9.jpg
    alaskan 9.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 56

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The Ford looks like it's in pretty good shape. How is it outfitted?
Looks like you scored a sweet deal. :thumbs:

The truck was custom ordered with every available option (including cruise control that works and AC) except power windows. The dash says 20,233 miles so I'm betting that it has 120,233 total. It's a FE460 big block (I'm not sure if this engine was offered in 77 so it may have been swapped at some point) backed by a C6 auto and a posi in what looks like a Dana 60. It is the camper special so it has TON's of upgrades like two batteries, big radiator and transcooler and a few more. The interior is unbelievable. It has a ton of vintage aftermarket gauges like an altimeter, vacuum, volts, compass, clock and other things like a very old Cobra CB radio :greg:

I'm blown away at how well it goes down the road... It's like driving a new 77 Ford :D

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The 460 was an option on that truck.

Look on KSL for some old cable style camper jacks, that will get it on and off slick.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The 460 was an option on that truck.

Look on KSL for some old cable style camper jacks, that will get it on and off slick.

Cool good to know. The 460 isn't great (or even close to good) on gas, but it gets up and scoots pretty good for an old truck. Not like the legendary 390, but much better than the anemic 360 :ugh:

I need jacks for sure. Because of the design it has to raise over the wheel humps which is going to be down right scary even with jacks. I'll have to get creative and use a stand of some sort.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well I put it on the crew cab over the weekend and I'm really happy with the way it turned out :D

The HUGE ac unit is going to go for sure!

Attachments

• Ford Alaskan.jpg
    Ford Alaskan.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 45
  • ford alaskan 1.jpg
    ford alaskan 1.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 53
  • ford alaskan 2.jpg
    ford alaskan 2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 47

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I pulled off the MASSIVE ac unit from up top and replaced it with this 14"x14" vent that filled the whole left behind prefectly. Now I have much more clearance than I did before :D

Attachments

• alaskan 4.jpg
    alaskan 4.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 31
  • alaskan 5.jpg
    alaskan 5.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 28
  • alaskan 6.jpg
    alaskan 6.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 31

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
New 255/85 KM2's and a roof rack that I made out of old scrap lying around :greg: Hopefully I don't sink this huge pig in the swell next week! :ugh:

alaskan4.jpg

alaskan1.jpg