Are there any good GPS coordinate websites?

theferg

DD for Life
I'm just trying to get a map goin' on my laptop and I'm trying to enter in GPS coordinates of cool places. I've got all the ones listed in this forum plus a few more, but I want to add in a whole stinkin' bunch. Is there any good websites that you can search for places and get the GPS coordinates? I've searched and searched on Google but can't find anything good....

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've got a ton of site marked from Moab, 5mp to AF Canyon... bring your laptop over next time and we'll figure out a way to transfer them...

BTW... do you have the GPS coords. for $OR... you might need em' ;)

theferg

DD for Life
That'd be sweet. What map program do you use on you 'puter? I don't have a GPS unit yet, but soon.

I'm trying to figure out how to use TerraServer right now, so I'll be pluggin' in $OR's address and gettin' 'em. Luckily I've already been there once so it won't be too bad.

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
theferg said:
That'd be sweet. What map program do you use on you 'puter? I don't have a GPS unit yet, but soon.

I use "All Topo" I think it is made by igauge?

And I have a Garmin Etrex legend that I get my coors with...

BE ADVISED...

Actual GPS unit coords and some mapping software coords are different datums...

NAD 83 (same as WGS 84)
NAD 27

:D

theferg

DD for Life
When I entered all the coordinates for places that are listed in this forum, they were all spot on in my map--so I think I should be alright--but that's good to know. Also, figured out how to use TerraServer to get coordinates and found and mapped SOR in and it seemed on as well. I'm using one called USA Photo Maps. Uses same pictures as TerraServer I think. Anyway, thanks dude. I'll have to get all those coordinates from ya for sure. Maybe I'll leave an hour early for my SOR trip and we can do it then... :D

Now to find the right GPS unit huh...

-Ferg-

theferg

DD for Life
Yep. USAPhotoMaps from jdxcox.com is what my buddy up here has been using for a while on his laptop so I got it too and have been trying to copy his data files over to save me some download time, but having trouble linking up to his 'puter. Damn thing is from his work and his 'puter monkey has all sorts of start up scripts goin' on that's keepin' us from being able to network them together. Anyway, I think it's pretty cool software so far. The only thing I don't like is that there are "big" pics and "small" pics to download... :ugh:

-Ferg-

my4thjeep

theferg said:
The only thing I don't like is that there are "big" pics and "small" pics to download... :ugh:

-Ferg-

This is a microsoft "feature". I think its lame also but it is how the graphics work so I think he is giving us an option to download one or the other.