Jeep Help ideas YJ 4 Link coil suspension build

Bobzilla

Need input, 4 link coil suspension on the YJ, also cannot afford those high dollar coil over shocks, so conventional coils would go on the jeep.

And there are several key reasons I am going to coils, no shackles to smash on rocks, tired of bending springs, axle wrap etc... love leafs tired of replacing em twice a year.

Want to install lifted coils off a TJ or XJ or ZJ?? that's why I want some input on which coils work best, RE, SJ, OME,????

The wheelbase is going to be approximately 105" with 38.5X11.00X15 Boggers full width 9" & HP Dana 44 axles, also the body is getting major trimming on front hood, fenders and rear comp cut.

I want to keep the jeep as low center gravity as possible, but I do like to catch air on the dunes also, so I need a reasonable amount of travel.

My ears are open for any ideas, good or bad, so help out here, I've been a leaf spring guy forever so I need input Help guys:confused:

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Are you wanting to make the lift yourself or buy a kit? If you wanna spend the dough there's a few decent kits out there. IMO if you get a good spring lift it should last quite a bit longer than 2 yrs(debatable I know) but a coil system is nice and would def have advantages:D Where you getting the springs your running? Here's some good coil conversion kits you can look at but just like I said, alot of clams:)
http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1
http://www.superlift.com/suspension/jeep/BD-XCL.asp
http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/applications/jeep/4wd87-05yj.html

BTW procomp also makes one the "bolts" on but from what I've read stay away from it.

You montioned you can't afford the high dollar coil over shocks so I'm guessing your going to build this w/out buying a kit. I've put an RE spring kit on my uncles YJ and its been great. Its just the standard 4" kit and we installed an SYE kit as well. Like I mentioned if your wanting to go cheap I'd stay with springs. They sell coils seperate but they're still 170 bones each and the 4" spring kit is only 900. That being said if you get just the springs they are about $99-170 each as well.

Do you have an SYE kit on your YJ already? Also are you running spring over or under right now? Anyway sorry for the novel, I went over this with the one I built to so I'm just giving you what I went throu:) I myself would also love the ride from coils I just don't wanna fork out the money:rolleyes: Sorry if i'm taking this the wrong direction on what your looking for. Good Luck!!;)

Bobzilla

YJ COILS???

I should have said, I build everything I can fab most parts myself, other than the springs, link ends bushings etc.. the stuff I have to buy.

I'm building all the links myself going to weld bungs and all to.

I just wasn't sure which coils would be the best, sounds like RE's are good I'm still not clear if it's better to run front coils on all four corners?

The TJ's use the larger diameter coils in rear are those better or what?

As far as the novel, man no worry, I just needing good information to make the right decision, I don not like doing anything twice, I do it right once, a little fine tuning is cool THX

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I used front tj coils in the rear and they worked good. The rears can a little shorter if you are mounting them on the frame and not wanting too much lift. You can dig up some aerostar coils at the junk yard and they are progressive rate coils which is kind of cool. I think I still have 2 sets in my yard just in case I build with them. On my last 4 link I ended up going with air shocks because of size and mounting ease.

Bobzilla

YJ COILS???

I should have said, I build everything I can fab most parts myself, other than the springs, link ends bushings etc.. the stuff I have to buy.

I'm building all the links myself going to weld bungs and all to.

I just wasn't sure which coils would be the best, sounds like RE's are good I'm still not clear if it's better to run front coils on all four corners?

The TJ's use the larger diameter coils in rear are those better or what?

As far as the novel, man no worry, I just needing good information to make the right decision, I don not like doing anything twice, I do it right once, a little fine tuning is cool THX

Bobzilla

Yea, thats what I thought using like TJ front coils in the back, I know some guys want same in front and back so the spring rates are the same.

I am going to modify the rear frame rails so they are levl or just above the inner tube or wheel well, so I can use a 5" longer springs, if that makes sense. THX